You are going to fish a new lake; one bait, what will it be!

george

You are going to fish a new lake; one bait, what will it be!

Post by george »

You get to go to a new body of water that you have never fished before and know nothing about and you get to use one bait, what will it be!
You can have several in different sizes and colors but if its a jig, crank bait, spinner bait or swim bait it can only be that bait!

George
Rich hamilton

Re: You are going to fish a new lake; one bait, what will it

Post by Rich hamilton »

Hard for me to put the drop shot down while looking for fish.
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
swordfish

Post by swordfish »

I would first consider time of year, water temps and type of lake, not knowing that, first thoughts are finness worm ,jig. crankbait.
the best way to catch a big one is don't lose um sharp hooks set drag retie!
M3AN Bass

Post by M3AN Bass »

Without knowing time of year or water temp I'd have to go with a dropshot (I hate drop shotting but it works). But typically I'll start with a spinnerbait to find fish followed by a jig.
george

Post by george »

I am probably going to throw a Senko, just for the reason of having the ability of fishing it in a bunch of presentation. Green Pumpkin/Black Flake I can always catch a fish on would be my confidence bait.

George
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

Plastics i.e. plastic worms will catch fish 365 days a year on any lake. All you have to do is get the presentation right based on all the factors that are in the air about this scenario and presto your a stud! ... :mrgreen: :lol:
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

While Rippa is probably right, im bringing my jig(s) with me - swim jig, 1 ton, finess, football head and arkie - i would rather spend all day lookin for that THUNK of a jig then shakin worms :D
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

Ya got me Ash :D :D ....Hell take your newest 10 oz. dead stick bait and swing for the fences. :lol: :lol: :lol: I guess I read into the question somewhere that he wuz looking for a high percentage bait which a jig can be. But I seem to have jig seasons rather than an all year love affair like a worm offers. I know that I have spent some effort teaching a scant few some of what I have absorbed about this sport over the years and a 4 inch slim profile is the prefered size according to everything I've read about bass. From my socal experience dropshot'n and worming in all it's variations are must have essential tools on our highly pressured waters yet from my norcal roots and upbringing I would be happy in the back seat with ya try'n ta get some Larger largemouth :lol: :lol: on something that does not entail cobwebs for lines and spinning rods that could pass for fly rods. :wink:
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
Larry Hemphill

Post by Larry Hemphill »

You should have told us what time of year we would visit this mystery lake. If just catching a bass is the goal, a drop-shot 4 or 6 inch Berkely Power worm or a similar size Robo worm probably would get the quickest bite. A dark color would work best in cold water months and a shad or watermelon color would be effective in mid-summer and fall. However, morning dawn color seems to work all the time!! If the water was dirty - or off color, I might want to move more water using a dark colored jig with some bulk and a paddle tail trailer.
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

I can feel u out there Larry crawling the rocks with that jig looking for big mamma! You write like Dean Sault used to on here :)
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
george

Post by george »

OK Mr. Hemphill here are a few more clues!
February, Pre frontal, 55-65 degrees air temp with light breeze and water temp in the 50's, medium depth lake to 60 feet with sparse points, rocks and cover, rip rap dams and a few shallow tully flats.

George
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

A Rig. :D

had to say it!
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

a nose hooked live crawdad ? (Or for Elshere 6 crawdads on a bama rig :P )
Larry Hemphill

Well, that changes everything!

Post by Larry Hemphill »

Now that I have all the info, George - that changes everything - LOL! I'll stick with my choice. But---a Staysee 90 ripbait - in a Feb afternoon???
Ceaser

Post by Ceaser »

7" Line thru osprey tournament talon. catches fish everywhere all year
is that glitter!? Nice boat tinkerbell!
fishinman

Post by fishinman »

A worm(plastic). you would like to catch a fish?
LEN B

Post by LEN B »

spinner bait :)
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b7dd34b3127ccec0ca2f54d84500000010O00AbtGbho2bsmIPbz4Q/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/[/img]
george

Post by george »

You know when you really start thinking about it, it is amazing at how many presentations you could make with a worm or Senko!!
Drop shot, Texas Rig, Carolina Rig, Wacky Rig/weightless, Nail Head, Dart head, Shaky head, Split Shot, etc.
I think the 4" or 6" worm or Senko bait could be everything you would need!

George
jack morris

Post by jack morris »

Senko 5" p/j
TeamBeefmaster

Post by TeamBeefmaster »

I would need two baits: a jig and a deep crank. I want to cover water and learn about what is down there. A heavy jig with fluoro will allow you to feel the kind of bottom, and what cover exists. The crank will help you do the same.

My 1st time out I dont care about catching fish. I want to dial in the right areas so the next time I go I am productive. If the water is clear ill throw a swimmer to pull the fish outta their hiding areas.

If you are looking to catch fish the 1st time out on a new lake its hard to beat a senko. :mrgreen:
bass king

Post by bass king »

I have to ask you BeefMaster....is that you in the pic?? if so...that hair is definately mastering beef i'd imagine! right on brother! 8)
merc1997

Post by merc1997 »

i would have to have a jig. a jig can be used to fish lots of other plastics, including senkos. jigs are not just for fishing a skirted jig.

bo
thereeldreamer

Post by thereeldreamer »

It's hard to choose one so I'll give my TWO....
To be honest, I'd have to say a drop shot or a lipless (Ima Rock n Vibe or LV 500).They both flat out catch fish anytime of the year at any place.

1) D-Shot: Put a big worm on it or a small worm. Fish it shallow or fish it deep.
2) Lipless: fish it deep or shallow. Burn it or Yo Yo it. Just can't beat a lipless.

These two presentations have the most versatility in my arsenal, no doubt.
Kevin Evans - Kap

Post by Kevin Evans - Kap »

In conditions presented sounds like Old Ugly Tube on a 1/8 oz darter head... maybe Green Pumpkin.

Kap
You cant fix stupid, but you can vote it out...
godzilla

Post by godzilla »

senko!
***GODZILLA AFTER MILFS!!...(MOMMAS I LIKE TO FISH)....***
g-man

Post by g-man »

Jigs... :D
100% LL
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

Would have to be a senko for me.

Lots of ways to fish em to cover any depth and type of cover.

Like em or not senkos catch big bass year round. Its by far not my favorite thing to fish as I would rather have a frog or swim bait bite going, but senkos get bit.
scott h

Post by scott h »

Rat-L-Trap.....
BUZZBAITS IN FEBRUARY!@#$%^&*(
Dom

Post by Dom »

1/2 brown and Purple jig w/ a watermelon and red flake trailer that bait just flat our catches fish :) you can fish it on the bottom or swim it .
Tight Lines Dom
Matt Moreau

Post by Matt Moreau »

g-man wrote:Jigs... :D
Your Favorite Black and RED right G?
"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad."

Matthew Moreau
TeamBeefmaster

Post by TeamBeefmaster »

bass king wrote:I have to ask you BeefMaster....is that you in the pic?? if so...that hair is definately mastering beef i'd imagine! right on brother! 8)
No thats not me. Im follically challenged, or headed that way. Its a funny pic I stole way back when.... still makes me laugh. glad you enjoyed it.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Rippa, I love ya like. a brother and I respect the hell out of you. I've got no secret weapon, I'm just a stubborn *** jig fisherman, who would rather feel that THUNK then that tic. I know a 4" worm will put em in the boat. I just learn more about the fishery through the transmissions of a jig. It has cost. Me fishless days but its what I prefer.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
george

Post by george »

I think a Senko can be used in so many presentations that it would have to be the bait for me to use! You can fish it weightless, wacky, texas rigged, on a drop shop, split shot or dart head so I think it offers the most versatility of all baits.

George
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

With out a doubt, brown 1/2oz rubber jig with a 164 Yamamoto 5" single tailed trailer. Of course, depending on the body of water, temps, conditions and time of year, I might have to dip into my array of jig trailers to load the boat. That jig-n-grub is my first choice every time! Course. most of ya already knew that would e my answer, ain't changed since day 1 on this sight! HAR!
CG

Post by CG »

1/2oz brown rubber jig w/ a couple orange or red strands, and a #330 5" Yamamoto double tail grub trailer for the spot lakes (#180 single tail too - the Hemphill Special). 3/8oz brown rubber jig w/ arkey head, and various trailers depending on....(pork, beavers, brush hogs, grubs), for the Delta.

PB largemouth (Delta w/ Bassmeout), smallie (Scotts), and spot (today at Bullards; I'm still shakin' a bit) all came on these jigs!! Thanks to Larry Hemphill and Andy Cuccia for drilling the importance and value of the jig as a big fish tool into my melon - can't thank you guys enough. There's a ton of other baits to throw that work - if I can only choose one, I'm fishing the jig, year round, on any pond.

CG
Ray Coleman

Post by Ray Coleman »

Jig, chatterbait type lure, and maybe a jerk bait
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Jigs one of the fastest ways to put a pattern together no matter what time of year your fishing :idea:
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Easy question for me, regardless of time of year. SENKO There are so many ways to fish it, shallow to deep.

I remember the conversation Richard Dobyns had with Heidi from Yamamoto a couple of years ago. He was FLW AOY and had caught all of his fish on a Senko in 3 events and several on it the 4th event. These events were scattered through out the year...but Senko was still the main weapon almost all the time.

It's probably one of the dumbest looking baits of all time.....but one of the best of all time too. It always works!!
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Pre spawn deep structure lake, what I always fish my hair jig with custom pork trailer....anywhere anytime!
Why fool around during pre spawn trying to catch a few keepers on worm or Senko's when the biggest bass in the lake are eating crawdads!
If I didn't know the seasonal period and numbers the lowly plastic worm gets the nod.
Tom
merc1997

Post by merc1997 »

Oldschool wrote:Pre spawn deep structure lake, what I always fish my hair jig with custom pork trailer....anywhere anytime!
Why fool around during pre spawn trying to catch a few keepers on worm or Senko's when the biggest bass in the lake are eating crawdads!
If I didn't know the seasonal period and numbers the lowly plastic worm gets the nod.
Tom
exactly!! plus just about any other soft plastic can be fished on a jig.

bo
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

Cooch wrote:With out a doubt, brown 1/2oz rubber jig with a 164 Yamamoto 5" single tailed trailer. Of course, depending on the body of water, temps, conditions and time of year, I might have to dip into my array of jig trailers to load the boat. That jig-n-grub is my first choice every time! Course. most of ya already knew that would e my answer, ain't changed since day 1 on this sight! HAR!

From a Google search on images-164 Yamamoto (since I've not memorized the numbers like the pros). Ash's response from 2010 came up with the combo- how cool was that? (Answering 'what three baits are must haves). Cooch mentioned his three, you know the first one mentioned was?
http://www.westernbass.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=61619

Cooch, while looking for your second favorite lure mentioned, your pic came up with some awesome peacock bass, didn't know you went down there, very cool.
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.