Lowrance Wiring Help

jsc11700

Lowrance Wiring Help

Post by jsc11700 »

Just purchased an HDS 7 GEN2 with LSS structure scan and and HDS 5 Gen 2. My question is, should I hook everything up to my trolling batteries or my cranking battery, or a combination of both. I am currently running two interstate group 27's for my trolling batteries and an interstate group 24 for my cranking. I am about do for a new cranking battery so I could go up in size on my cranking battery.

On my current hummingbird finders I have my bow finder hooked to the trolling batteries and will get a low voltage indicator about halfway through the day. My console finder is hooked into my master power for the boat and I get a low voltage warning when I start my engine.

I am worried about losing time on my trolling batteries due to all three units running through them but am also worried that a group 24 cranking battery may not be enough to keep them running and still be able to crank at the end of the day.

Would love to hear how some of you guys have yours set up!

Thanks
eagle123777

Re: Lowrance Wiring Help

Post by eagle123777 »

the TM batteries should never have anything else connected to them. I ran a 24 for a long time without issue but its always in the back of your mind about cranking at the end of the day...switch to a 27 or 31 cranking with the proper CCA for your motor and as much reserve capacity that you can find.
jack
usaf (ret)
triton 21x2
TeamBeefmaster

Post by TeamBeefmaster »

Agreed. I would hook all electronics to your cranking battery. upgrading the capacity or amphours of your battery will extend life. your motor (hopefully) will recharge your cranking battery through the day. The only issue you may run in to is the voltage drop when you turn on the engine, that may temporarily turn off your electronics.
jsc11700

Post by jsc11700 »

Ok,

That's what I kinda figured. Thanks for the info!
BILLYS

Post by BILLYS »

What eagle said! And by the way, what engine do you have? If it is an opti, you need a bigger battery.
TEAM FATBOY.
jsc11700

Post by jsc11700 »

I am running a 175 EFI not optimax. I have another question however... I have been looking through the installation instructions for the LSS unit. Lowrance recommends hooking to the power source thru a "power control bus" :?: Does this just mean connecting it through the master power switch at my console so it is not continually drawing power even when not in use?

Also do the hds5 and 7 need to be connected to the power source via my master power switch or is it fine to connect them directly to the battery since they can manually be powered off at each individual unit?
TeamBeefmaster

Post by TeamBeefmaster »

The LSS should technically switch on and off with the HDS units. this did not work for me, so I installed a switch for the power for the LSS. The HDS units can go direct. Make sure you put an inline fuse at the appropriate current with anything wired direct to the batteries. This will minimize your chance of making toast while fishing.
jsc11700

Post by jsc11700 »

Thanks for the info! The units are supplied with inline fuses already so that won't be an issue. I will either hook the LSS unit to my master power switch or install a new switch. Sounds like I will probly need to upgrade my cranking battery, but I was due anyway.