SwimBait Reel

TheChaz

SwimBait Reel

Post by TheChaz »

What is a preefered shimano reel for thrown Swimbaits? Any one have any suggestions besides the calcutta D series?
bishopbass

Re: SwimBait Reel

Post by bishopbass »

This is just my opinion and if I could only pick one reel size for swimbaits it would be the Calcutta 400 "b" or a Daiwa luna 300. Both reels are the same size even though the numbers would make you think otherwise. I own and use both of these reels and they are very versatile. I like a lot of people started out with curado 300 and luna 253 but eventually learned to love the larger reels. Like I said though just my opinion.
revelation_04

Post by revelation_04 »

I vote for the Daiwa Lexa 300 or 400. I like the low profile. Works for me.
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

I guess like most things, it depends on what you want to spend? Calcutta D is way out of my price range.

I have had good luck with a Shimano Cardiff 300 size. Its a round reel, but the 300 size has a recessed foot so its easier to palm(400 does not). The 300 size holds plenty of line for using 20-25 pound test.

I switched out the handle on mine to a Calcutta live bait/power handle which is basically one big paddle handle. Its the bomb!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Champion Jon wrote:I guess like most things, it depends on what you want to spend? Calcutta D is way out of my price range.

I have had good luck with a Shimano Cardiff 300 size. Its a round reel, but the 300 size has a recessed foot so its easier to palm(400 does not). The 300 size holds plenty of line for using 20-25 pound test.

I switched out the handle on mine to a Calcutta live bait/power handle which is basically one big paddle handle. Its the bomb!
I agree. Fits my hand, and has Shimano warranty. Thank you Paul Bailey.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
TheChaz

Post by TheChaz »

Champion Jon wrote:I guess like most things, it depends on what you want to spend? Calcutta D is way out of my price range.

Very helpful thanks! was actually lookin at the 400 but was worried of the size.
godzilla

Post by godzilla »

calcutta 400d or TE hands down!
***GODZILLA AFTER MILFS!!...(MOMMAS I LIKE TO FISH)....***
swimbait

Post by swimbait »

Size of lure is a consideration. Are you talking 5 inch paddletail or 12 inch Slammer?

Calcutta TE has been the top tier swimbait reel for a long time, and still is. What a great piece of equipment. Very little maintenance required, super reliable.
bantam1

Post by bantam1 »

Calcutta 400B, Calcutta 300D or 400D, Curado 300E. It all depends on the size of the swimbaits you plan to use.