Lure Knockers / Retrievers

Moderators: MKA, Mike M, Caudawg, ash

User avatar
TeamBeefmaster
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:02 pm
Location: Castaic

Lure Knockers / Retrievers

Postby TeamBeefmaster » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:41 am

Anyone have any feedback about what they like / dont like? Recommended styles or models? Im trying to avoid donating some high $$$ baits this year..... :mrgreen:

Rich hamilton
Posts: 1358
Joined: Sun May 08, 2005 8:19 pm

Re: Lure Knockers / Retrievers

Postby Rich hamilton » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:33 am

paid for itself the first day I used it :) http://www.frabill.com/9865.html RR
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix

bass king
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:35 am
Location: 408

Re: Lure Knockers / Retrievers

Postby bass king » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:23 pm

1-2 oz. lead ball weight on a clip works for me ...just clip it on your line and let it slide down.

Champion Jon
Posts: 360
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: Roseville, CA

Re: Lure Knockers / Retrievers

Postby Champion Jon » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:23 pm

In my boat I have two retrievers and both have there time and place.

1. The telescoping pole like Rich posted the link to.

2. Is a retriever call the hound dog that I have attached to a throw down rod/reel with braided line.

They both work well in different situations. They have paid for themselves so many times its not even funny. Well worth the minimal cost. If I were to have just one, it would be the hound dog/rod/reel.

eagle123777
Posts: 642
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:47 pm
Location: manteca, ca

Re: Lure Knockers / Retrievers

Postby eagle123777 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:07 am

Rich hamilton wrote:paid for itself the first day I used it :) http://www.frabill.com/9865.html RR


tackle wharehouse has them for a few dollars less so buy a couple of extra stuff and get free shipping.
jack
usaf (ret)
triton 21x2

merc1997
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:53 pm

Re: Lure Knockers / Retrievers

Postby merc1997 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:55 pm

Champion Jon wrote:In my boat I have two retrievers and both have there time and place.

1. The telescoping pole like Rich posted the link to.

2. Is a retriever call the hound dog that I have attached to a throw down rod/reel with braided line.

They both work well in different situations. They have paid for themselves so many times its not even funny. Well worth the minimal cost. If I were to have just one, it would be the hound dog/rod/reel.
here here for the hound dawg. i make my own, but it is much like the houndawg, and i have used them for eons. they are just like an american express card. don't leave home without one. i used to do time studies on everything that involved fishing, and that included dealing with lures that are hung up. if you go get your lure back, even if you have to use the "dawg", it saves half the time it takes to break off, and sit down in the bottom of the boat and re-rig, and that is even if you retie after getting your lure loose. another note, is that it does not seem to bother the bass. but, that snapping of the line when it breaks will send them packing right now. a friend of mine has even dived down to observe what the bass do when breaking the line as opposed to knocking a lure loose. so, this is not only deduction from experience, but visually observation. quit breaking off and go get your lure. less pollution that way also.

bo

Bsapp
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:23 am
Location: Healdsburg

Re: Lure Knockers / Retrievers

Postby Bsapp » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:11 pm

I'm a big believer in lure retrievers. I use two different ones. I use the basspro shops bass with the chains and the houndog. The hounddog outta the package gets a C grade. If you modify it you will get back twice as many lures. Take a heavy split ring and put the biggest heaviest treble you can find and attach to the line guide wires. This will hook many things such as cloth heavy line etc that simply knocking the the bait won't get out. I can't tell you how Many huge things I've pulled up off the bottom of Clearlake with it. Some times with many lures on it . One time I pulled up an umbrella in front of konocti with several Lucky crafts on it. Also I like to attach it to a 32oz Gatorade bottle to wrap it on. Because you will drop it in the lake pulling and tugging. Using on old reel is popular but the bottle is fool proof you won't lose it .

User avatar
fish_food
Posts: 932
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:36 am

Re: Lure Knockers / Retrievers

Postby fish_food » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:24 pm

I use a generic weight-with-chains type knocker attached to a small retractable dog leash from the dollar store.

Image
Image
Last edited by fish_food on Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Champion Jon
Posts: 360
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: Roseville, CA

Re: Lure Knockers / Retrievers

Postby Champion Jon » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:33 pm

Bsapp wrote:I'm a big believer in lure retrievers. I use two different ones. I use the basspro shops bass with the chains and the houndog. The hounddog outta the package gets a C grade. If you modify it you will get back twice as many lures. Take a heavy split ring and put the biggest heaviest treble you can find and attach to the line guide wires. This will hook many things such as cloth heavy line etc that simply knocking the the bait won't get out. I can't tell you how Many huge things I've pulled up off the bottom of Clearlake with it. Some times with many lures on it . One time I pulled up an umbrella in front of konocti with several Lucky crafts on it. Also I like to attach it to a 32oz Gatorade bottle to wrap it on. Because you will drop it in the lake pulling and tugging. Using on old reel is popular but the bottle is fool proof you won't lose it .


Thanks for the tip. I will give that heavy treble hook a shot. I can honestly say however that I have had great success with mine as is.

DannyMiller
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: Lure Knockers / Retrievers

Postby DannyMiller » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:07 am

[img][IMG]http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx359/DannyMiller-2010/LureRetriever001.jpg[/img][/img]Here is what I've found to be the real deal. I start with a construction chalk box of the plastic kind. Then I fill it with construction cord that's used to get a straight line for concrete form boards. This line is really strong.
I then cut some length of chain. A treble hook that is the old school style that can open up if you gotta tie to a cleat. A clevis that you can open to slide over your line. From huds to Poes crank baits this thing has really been the best.

User avatar
TeamBeefmaster
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:02 pm
Location: Castaic

Re: Lure Knockers / Retrievers

Postby TeamBeefmaster » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:44 pm

i like the idea of using a large treble hook, but ur now risking losing everything if you snag something big.... right?

Oldschool
Posts: 1508
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: Lure Knockers / Retrievers

Postby Oldschool » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:57 pm

Fish_food lure retriever posted works great, made up a similar retriever about 30 years ago.
All that is need is a heavy duty key ring size split ring, 3 to 4 lengths of #8 sash chain about 10" a 1 lb lead weight and dog leash clip. The dog leash lip, sash chain and weight go on the split ring. Tie a cord to the split ring or use a retractable dog leash. Clip the snagged line into the dog leash clip, lower down and knock the lure loose, the chain will snag treble hooks. Pull out the the snagged lure with breaking your line.
The telescoping units work better on a single hook lure like a Hudd.
Tom


Return to “Fishing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: clum553946, jclark and 20 guests