Help a fisherman new to the Sacramento area

Bacarat

Help a fisherman new to the Sacramento area

Post by Bacarat »

Hey Guys,
I just recently moved up to Sacramento after living in central califonia for a number of years. I recently found this site and youtube channel and had a few questions about bass fishing in the area I was hoping i could get some help with.

1. What is the closest launch from sacramento to get to good bass fishing water on the delta? I recently drove down to Russo's which was about an hour and half from where I live this past weekend. Awesome area, but I didnt have much success this weekend. Only cought two fish on a texas rig senko. Not a bad drive at all, but Is there anywhere closer to sacramento in the delta or otherwise I can launch that offers good bass fishing waters? If so where should I fish?

2. Im new to fishing the delta, but have been bass fishing for several years. I have a new tracker bass boat and am looking for some people in the area to fish with and perhaps learn a thing or two from. Are there any clubs or groups that anyone would recommend in the area for someone looking to learn?

3. Does the sacramento river offer decent largemouth bass fishing? Or just smallies, stripers etc? What are my options for close proximity bass fishing.

Thanks Guys! :mrgreen:
dtacker

Re: Help a fisherman new to the Sacramento area

Post by dtacker »

B and w resort is where I typically launch at the Delta... You likely drove by it on your way to Russo's. The Sacramento River can offer some good bass fishing in summer time if you are trying to stay close to home. You do have some fantastic fisheries close by, Folsom is very close, Clear Lake not too far,Oroville as well as Berryessa.
I'm sorry I'm not much help with the club deal but I'm sure you will get some ideas from the next replies. I won't be surprised if you get some pm's as well.
Best of luck,
Dustin Tacker
kb

Post by kb »

There are several ramps down the I-5 corridor that are closer to you in Sacramento. Wimpy's is the closest and you can access Beaver, Hog, Sycamore and Snodgrass from there easy, Paradise Point, Uncle Bobby's and Herman and Helen's are all on Eight Mile road and give you access to the Whites, Dissapointment and Potato slough area and the San Juaquin river. Off of March Lane you have Ladd's for the Stockton side. If you go out Hwy 12 you can launch at Tower Park or B&W I would recommend B&W in that area.

As for clubs there are several with the Folsom Bass Team, Elk Grove Bass and I am sure some others I can't remember..... Right now every other month on the Third Tuesday of each month I do Ultimate Bass University at Gone Fishin Marine in Dixon. This is a free class and covers quite a lot of the local water and features many of the pros. This month is one of the classes at 6:30 on the 15th of April.

Hope this helps and you can get some good info from that Ultimate Bass Radio Show on KHTK 1140 on Saturday mornings at 5am or archived here on WB............ok that was a shameless plug!!!

hope this all helps
kb
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140
21farms

Post by 21farms »

russo's is a long drive from sacramento. if you like fishing frank's tract, i think it's shorter and faster to launch out of B & W or korth's pirate's lair off of highway 12. there's actually a lot of good bass fishing very close to B & W. PM me if you need more detailed help.
Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman »

Pilot Slough. 8)
- Wolfeman
"Don't take life too seriously. You're not getting out alive." Bugs Bunny
Bacarat

Post by Bacarat »

Thanks alot guys great info. Iv'e only been to the delta once, which was last saturday. I only launched at russo's beacuse it was the only place I really read about. I had heard Frank's trac was a good area and didnt really know any of the other spots that hold largemouth for sure. Looking for a few partners to fish with since I dont really know anyone in the area yet.

What areas would you guys recommend I fish in the B&W area? Are the slough areas all a solid bet? Should I pretty much focus on heading south and fishing that way?

Sent you a PM.

Thanks Again Guys!
Randy Walker

Post by Randy Walker »

Check out the North Delta too. I recommend keying Wimpys marina on google maps. You can launch from there or New Hope right next to it. From there you can go left to beaver, hog and sycamore sloughs where you can fish weeds, rock levees and tullie islands. Or, you can go right and head up to lost slough and the meadows and fish tons of wood/trees in the water. Both directions provide excellent largie fishing. Pull the google maps and check out the aerial view...

Off I-5 ... West Walnut Grove Road exit I believe...

Good luck

Randy
~ Thanks for the support ~
Walkers Brittanys
RBBASS
www.optimabatteries.com
www.outdoorproshops.com
www.lock-n-haul.com/
www.purefishing.com
Berkley Fishing
Abu Garcia
imalures.com
optimumbaits.com
The Rod Glove http://vrxfishing.com/
surfk9

Post by surfk9 »

I agree with randy....the areas he mentioned are great....don't get nearly the traffic that the southwest or southeast areas get. I've been fishing the hog,sycamore & beaver for about the last 10 years plenty of fish (plus quality) with less boat traffic (during the week....like all areas the traffic increases on weekends) good luck...michel
be careful out there!!! HAVE FUN!!! Wear your PFD.....It could Save your Life
Bacarat

Post by Bacarat »

Hey Guys. So I just got back from a day on the water. I launched at B&W. Looks like there was a tournament going on. I really struggled today and got skunked and was hoping some of you more experienced anglers might be able to give me some tips.

Here's how my day went. It was really windy today so I started by throwing white double willow spinnerbait along rock walls near the launch. Didn't get bit so I drove down to potatoe slough and tried pitching 6 inch senkos, dropshots roboworms, craw Texas rigs into the tules and on shallow flats and tule points. Even dropshotting on rocks. Didn't get bit so I went over to white slough and tried the same thing as well as throwing spinnerbaits through the tules and along the weedlines. Tried pausing and ripping through weeds. No luck.

I had a lot of trouble dropshotting and worming in the wind, by the time I work my worm I'm already drifting past my bait and have to recast. I was surprised that I didn't pick up any fish on my spinnerbaits despite trying hard today. The wacky rig also didn't produce any bites for me today. Is fishing deep in and around tules the right approach for this time? Any tips or advice would be a great help. I really want to learn all I can to be a more successful angler out here. So far I've been struggling. The guys did well on the weigh in. Looked like some big bags. Thanks for reading!
Terry Smith

Post by Terry Smith »

Change your spinner baits to red crawdad colors as with your crankbaits. Speed traps are A good bet. T-N-T Baits Wadda jigs in Black or Brown colors with blue trailers. Right now I would be looking for beding fish and even start tossing the Snog Proof frogs up shallow. Senko 6" black with blue flake, watermelon red flake,purple blue flake,greenpumpkin black flake, and babybass colors should get you some fish.

Good luck, Terry
http://www.basscat.com
http://www.tntbaits.com/
Lounge Lizard Extreme Bass Fishing
(916) 719-7225
Bacarat

Post by Bacarat »

Tnx. I will have to get back out and take another shot at it