Boat Accident On The Delta

Revoke36

Boat Accident On The Delta

Post by Revoke36 »

East County Today is reporting a fisherman boating accident around orowood. Boater is missing. Anyone know what has happened?! Prayers for all involved
Support 81
Long Nguyen

Re: Boat Accident On The Delta

Post by Long Nguyen »

BRENTWOOD -- A water search is underway for a missing boater after a fishing boat he was on struck a railroad bridge in the Delta on Saturday, a spokesman for the Contra Costa County Sheriff's Office said.

The boat had been carrying at least two men when it struck the bridge near the Cruiser Haven Marina, located at 7000 Orwood Road, sheriff's spokesman Jimmy Lee said.

The incident occurred shortly before 11:30 a.m. with the two men being thrown from the boat. The driver suffered minor injuries and was treated at the scene, while the search continued for the 41-year-old passenger.

The men were participating in a bass fishing competition, according to sheriff's Lt. Scott Haggard.

Alcohol is not considered a factor in the accident and it is not known whether the boat was speeding when it collided with the bridge, Haggard said.

If they were in a derby then hopefully they both had PFD on. Prayers for a positive outcome.
Revoke36

Post by Revoke36 »

Thanks for the info. Comments that I've read from ECT said he was wearing an inflatable PFD that failed and it was possibly a pro from Stockton. Again, this is just from people commenting so take it for what it is. Also they were saying the boat struck a shoal and not the bridge. Again, here say
Support 81
backseatfishergirl

Post by backseatfishergirl »

Video report on the accident - right now it is on the top of the page - it is the one titled: Lieutenant Scott Haggard of the @ContraCostaSheriff during ... could move down as more is added: http://www.tout.com/u/Filmroll

TD Ador Lopez stated all boats in AC out of Ladds in Stockton were accounted for at weigh-in.
Revoke36

Post by Revoke36 »

Support 81
Charles

Post by Charles »

I believe it was a boat from BBT out of Russos. The Sheriff was as the weigh in talking to the TD
george

Post by george »

Contra Costa times says the missing anglers body has been recovered! Anyone have any updates?
fishwithron2

Post by fishwithron2 »

When are the news people going to get smart to cover the mic on windy days so the wind don't interfer with the recording ??? All you hear is thew wind blowing thru the microphone.
george

Post by george »

Anybody have updates on the bass boat accident? I have a lot of friends who fish the BBT Delta circuit and my heart goes out to the anglers family who lost his life!
Everyone needs to pay attention and look out for anything and everything out there on the delta, you just don't know what is underneath the surface.

There have been some guys with all the experience in the world who have had some really bad luck in catching wakes of other boats or hitting submerged objects out there, at any time it could be any of us being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

George
Crucial711

Post by Crucial711 »

You couldn't have said it better George. I was pulling my buddies boat out of the water when the sheriff towed the boat into Russo's. The motor was strapped to the back deck. They said when they got to the boat it was drifting with the motor dragging behind only connected by the control cables. It was surreal, the boat looked to be in good shape, all rods still strapped down and nothing out of place, except for the two unfortunate passengers not being there. Prayers to all who were effected by this tragic accident. Wear your PFDs guys, this could've happened to any of us.
C-Rig

Post by C-Rig »

Rest in peace, my blessed brother, Todd! May the bass at the end of your line in heaven be even bigger than the ones you've left for us here!
troutbreath

Post by troutbreath »

First and foremost my condolences to the family and friends of Todd. I know in tournament fishing there is a desire to beat or outrun our opponents to the honey holes and to be honest it's just downright exciting ripping through the delta. I'm not saying these guys were speeding or being careless in any way but I am saying the delta waterways are like the wild west when it comes to speed limits or safety concerns. Jet skis, pleasure boats, speed boats, sail boats, bass boats, even giant ships crossing back and forth, here and there, and everywhere in between. I have personally had many close calls over the last twenty years including throwing my brother out of the boat in whiskey slough and being knocked unconscious myself in the process of doing so. By the grace of God we were ok. In any event, the laws that pertain to our roadways need to be adopted to our waterways. Speed limits, right of ways, traffic direction, cutting corners, hazard area speed limits etc need to be enforced. It really is dangerous out there and it doesn't have to be. Enjoy life but be safe so we all see tomorrow.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

troutbreath wrote:First and foremost my condolences to the family and friends of Todd. I know in tournament fishing there is a desire to beat or outrun our opponents to the honey holes and to be honest it's just downright exciting ripping through the delta. I'm not saying these guys were speeding or being careless in any way but I am saying the delta waterways are like the wild west when it comes to speed limits or safety concerns. Jet skis, pleasure boats, speed boats, sail boats, bass boats, even giant ships crossing back and forth, here and there, and everywhere in between. I have personally had many close calls over the last twenty years including throwing my brother out of the boat in whiskey slough and being knocked unconscious myself in the process of doing so. By the grace of God we were ok. In any event, the laws that pertain to our roadways need to be adopted to our waterways. Speed limits, right of ways, traffic direction, cutting corners, hazard area speed limits etc need to be enforced. It really is dangerous out there and it doesn't have to be. Enjoy life but be safe so we all see tomorrow.
X2
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Grape Ape

Post by Grape Ape »

My heart and thoughts go out to both these mens families and friends. This is so tragic and hits us all deep in the heart. We can only hope to hear the results of the investigation. They may never know what, if anything, they hit. It very well could of been a mechanical malfunction. Years ago my partner and I were thrown out of my boat doing about 65 mph. We were very lucky. To this day we don't know if we hit something or if the lower end mount bolts failed. My biggest concern is, from what I've been told, why that PFD didn't inflate? I wear one of the top of the line PFD's and until I know for sure what cause this young man his life....I am going back to a vest. R.I.P. Todd
Harry Markarian

Markarian Investigations @ (209) 777-9696
USAF (Retired)
Merced PD (Retired)
C & C Marine
Nozmo King

Post by Nozmo King »

The East Contra Costa Times is reporting that they hit the support for a railroad crossing. Are parts of those structures submerged so they actually could create a navigational hazard? Just curious... My heart goes out to Todd's family over this horrendous tragedy.
bassz21

Post by bassz21 »

I could be wrong but I am 99% sure that bridge at cruiser haven is 5mph sad story I never go over 40 on the delta unless its main channels straight aways

and yes king on that bridge there are parts that v down for support under the water
senkoboy

Post by senkoboy »

Hey all,

I was around the corner fishing when this happened. It was a super high tide starting to flow. There are cement and wood pylon between the end of the twin slews to the first pylon. You are fine if you are in the channel under the drawbridge part. The big factor sat was due to the super high tide you could not see the pylons... usually you can see them. Another reason for us all to respect that 5 MPH zone there. We got there right when the driver was getting out of the water and both my son (22) and I looked at each other and put our life jackets on. Maybe our lesson of the day for sure and my best wishes to all the family's involved.

Going forward my boat will be a life jacket only area when the big motor is running. I don't want to be in that drivers seat when it all goes to hell.

40 plus years on the water and still learning.

Be safe

al miller
Last edited by senkoboy on Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think therefore I fish.
milehi

Post by milehi »

Todd who? I know a Todd who fishes up there, worried
C-Rig

Post by C-Rig »

Todd Iwamoto. He was at one time president of the Sonoma County Belly Boat Bass Club, but had expanded far beyond that around the bay, though I had lost contact with him over the past few years. Still chokin' up over this... why does it always seem it's the good guys we lose...
-- jeff

===============
Carpe Diem - seize the FISH!