Easiest/ safest route from Disco Bay to Franks Tract

M3AN Bass

Easiest/ safest route from Disco Bay to Franks Tract

Post by M3AN Bass »

Hello all,
As the title suggest I'm looking to find the easiest and safest route from Discovery Bay to Franks Tract. Also any advice for fishing Franks Tract would be greatly appreciated (best tides, hazards, etc..).
Thank you and tightlines!
Terry Smith

Re: Easiest/ safest route from Disco Bay to Franks Tract

Post by Terry Smith »

Indian Slough to Old River take A left and it will take you right to Franks Tract.
http://www.basscat.com
http://www.tntbaits.com/
Lounge Lizard Extreme Bass Fishing
(916) 719-7225
MT

Post by MT »

You need to be careful when you do get there. Alot of spots look like you can just go into the tract on plane but you can't. There are a ton of hazards in the tract also. Just take it slow when you do get there. As far as the fishing goes, I don't frequent that area too much but I would find a couple of breaks(openings) and spend some time there to learn how the fish position themselves on different tides. Again, be careful.
M3AN Bass

Post by M3AN Bass »

Thank you both for the advice. It's sounds like Franks Tract may be more of hassle than its worth for this trip. How is Mildred Island?
MT

Post by MT »

Deeper, easier to enter and exit if you know where but there is standing timber (old orchards) that you have to watch out for. Just pick an area, slow down and pick it apart out there. No need to run all over heck if you are new to the delta. You will pass lots of good water between disco and any of these places.
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

If your new to any area of the delta, just drop that trolling motor and adventure it in and watch the tides. IMO most waters have been explored in and through but experience is required.

take it slow anywhere you go. the delta does not only have positioned/stationed hazards but free floating hazards to. so again cruise, take it slow, no need to let anyone know you got the fastest boat out there.

franks is pretty safe to run. the outside is safe to. just watch the others run to give you a good idea what routes look ok and not. It the smaller flooded islands you really got to be careful in.
M3AN Bass

Post by M3AN Bass »

Thanks guys! No way I'll be the fastest boat out there and am not trying to prove anything, I've just got a Stratos 176XT with a 75 ETEC. I'm not completely new to the Delta but haven't made any really long runs. From what I can tell I'll have plenty of punching close by but I'm also really hoping to get some topwater linesides.
Top'r

Post by Top'r »

If you want to learn specific waters, I'd book a Guide trip with Cooch, or Bobby. They both launch out of Russo's Marina on Franks Tract. You'll learn much more in one day with either of them verses exploring on your own.
Clay...
Randy Walker

Post by Randy Walker »

If you want to spend the day fishing Franks and are worried about the run... think about pulling the boat from Disco to Russo's and launch... then there is no water run time, no getting lost, no hitting anything on the way.. just an Idea.. There are a bunch of good fish being caught inside/outside of Franks right now. Could be worth it. Good Fish in Mildred as well...for Mildred really be careful entering as others have said.. once in there be aware of the timber which you should be able to see sticking up (there's more under the water too)..
If part of the adventure for you is getting to either place then cruise and keep an eye out...

Good luck, have fun and be safe!
~ Thanks for the support ~
Walkers Brittanys
RBBASS
www.optimabatteries.com
www.outdoorproshops.com
www.lock-n-haul.com/
www.purefishing.com
Berkley Fishing
Abu Garcia
imalures.com
optimumbaits.com
The Rod Glove http://vrxfishing.com/
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

M3AN Bass, Terri gave ya the straightest, shortest route to Frank's. Your biggest concern in route to Frank's will be the intersection at the Cruiser haven Railroad Bridge! THAT, is where you'll need to be care, follow the 5 mph sings and proceed past the bridge and intersection with caution, we had a horrible accident there a few weeks ago and lost one of our fishing brothers. Once at Franks, it is one of the safest ponds to run across and thru of all the flooded islands. Most of the dengerous obstructons are visable not only on the low tide, but the high as well, two such spots with submerged pylons reside at the far north side in the biggest opening into False Rive and a smaller Island at the East side between Middle and Holland. The rest of the openings you'll find in Franks are deep enough and safe to cross during all the tides. Where you do need to be carefull is all up along the north side, care must be taken when running right along the tulles and out 50-100 feet as this is the side of the tract where most of the submerged peat mounds come up and shift around. You'll see most of them on the low tides, the rest of the Tract really is one of the least obstructive open flat areas of the Delta, especially this time of year when there are not 30+ duck blinds to dodge.