12/24 volt trolling motor switch question

twr520

12/24 volt trolling motor switch question

Post by twr520 »

i have an 1990 Stratos 201 PD bass boat that I purchased recently, I have been chasing an electrical problem with the minn kota maxxum trolling motor that I believe I have finally figured out. There is a 2 position toggle switch on the bow control panel that is labeled 12 volt = 24 volt that looks like the wires and connectors are bad, which I am currently replacing it all.

My question is what is the point of the switch? I never use the trolling motor in the 12 volt position, actually the only time I ever switch it to 12 volt is when I charge the batteries using an on board 3 bank Minn kota charger, because there is a note on the control panel to switch to 12 volt when charging. I have not figured out why that need to be done but I do it.

Can anyone shed some light on this? thank you
eagle123777

Re: 12/24 volt trolling motor switch question

Post by eagle123777 »

there is no need for that switch if your TM is 24v, just connect directly to the cables coming from TM battery circuit breaker, or if you have plug at the bow you cannot those cables to the plug. maybe they had something else connected to those cables that needed 12v but ur batteries should be connected in series to make 24v so I have no clue as to what that may have been.
jack
usaf (ret)
triton 21x2
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

Some of the older 24V trolling motors had the ability to be 12V also. Given what you said, there is no need for this switch any longer.

Be sure you have the right size wires for your trolling motor. The older boats used larger gauge (smaller wires) than you should be using. Today, most people are using 4 -8 gauge wire.
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
Gene Buchholz

Post by Gene Buchholz »

Eliminate the switch. Wire it for 24 only. If you need help call me and i will help you.

PS The Hook is having their grand reopening this weekend all is TAX FREE except special marked sales such as Shimano Citica's for $99.99 ea.
Come see us