Can't remove rear seat post

Kentuck

Can't remove rear seat post

Post by Kentuck »

I am trying to remove the rear seat post on my Ranger. It won't budge. Any suggestions?
PineCone

Re: Can't remove rear seat post

Post by PineCone »

Try soaking it with pb blaster.. Then put a monkey wrench on the base of the pole.. If it still won't move, give the wrench handle some love taps with a hammer.. It will chew the pole up a little tho.. Good luck
jeff bradshaw

Post by jeff bradshaw »

Soaking it with wd40 overnight may work....
Randy Walker

Post by Randy Walker »

If none of the above work, I had a buddy that had the same thing happen and ended up driving his boat to a nearby place that had a forklift and had the guy hook up the pole and lift it out.. if nothing else works..

Good Luck
~ Thanks for the support ~
Walkers Brittanys
RBBASS
www.optimabatteries.com
www.outdoorproshops.com
www.lock-n-haul.com/
www.purefishing.com
Berkley Fishing
Abu Garcia
imalures.com
optimumbaits.com
The Rod Glove http://vrxfishing.com/
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

A friend of mine had the same problem. What he and I did was soak it with WD 40 and if you have a chain wrench, grab that then grab a very thin towel or heavy duty shop towel (wypalls). Put the chain wrench around the towel and turn. The towel will prevent any marks and with a chain wrench it will grab. I hope that works and I'm sure the other suggestions are just as good but that's whAt we did and it broke it loose. Good luck
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

One more thing if whatever type of wrench you use I would use a breaking bar to put on the end of the wrench instead of hitting it with a hammer. A hammer causes sudden jars and will put marks in the shaft. With the breaking bar you get constant push/pull instead of a sudden jar .
Chris N

Post by Chris N »

I've got the same problem with my Champ- I'm about to take a hacksaw to the post...

:twisted:
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

If the chair is attached try getting a solid chair and use a car jack. Get the jack as close as you can to the center of the seat underneath and as you jack it up lightly tsp the shaft with either a rubber mallet or a hammer with a towel so you don't put marks on your shaft. As I've said before a friend had this happen and I'm just sharing the ideas we received so I'm sorry for 3 replys but the more the better for you. Good luck
PineCone

Post by PineCone »

Roscoe wrote:One more thing if whatever type of wrench you use I would use a breaking bar to put on the end of the wrench instead of hitting it with a hammer. A hammer causes sudden jars and will put marks in the shaft. With the breaking bar you get constant push/pull instead of a sudden jar .

I suggested the hammer approach because the sudden jarring acts like an impact gun. If your anything like me you won't care about some marks on your shaft.. You just want the seat out of there.. I like the forklift approach, might lift the boat off the ground :)
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Ok we got a team of guys and we're going to get that thing loose, lol. I was wondering do you think maybe heating it up and then trying to pull it off would work? The thing about us anglers is we're going to help each other out, I didn't mean to say the hammer idea wasn't good I was just sharing what worked for my friend and I. Please let us know if you get that thing loose, lol.
Randy Walker

Post by Randy Walker »

I think my buddy did say the forklift did actually lift the back of the boat a little before the pole pulled out.. haha.. so yeah, could def happen.
~ Thanks for the support ~
Walkers Brittanys
RBBASS
www.optimabatteries.com
www.outdoorproshops.com
www.lock-n-haul.com/
www.purefishing.com
Berkley Fishing
Abu Garcia
imalures.com
optimumbaits.com
The Rod Glove http://vrxfishing.com/
WackySenko

Post by WackySenko »

Try a low cost way: One evening buy a 20# bag of ice, empty enough out so that you can fold it around the post, let it set for an hour and then it should slide right out.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Use a Strap wrench, does NOT mark up the pole.
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
jg

Post by jg »

Ice should work my front pole is the same way when it's hot it will not budge but early morning I can get it to come out.
Kentuck

Post by Kentuck »

Thanks all. Great suggestions and I'll give them a try.
Chris N

Post by Chris N »

Yeah, thanks for the tips! I'll give he ice thing a try for sure.
Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman »

What should we do to the seat posts and the post hole to insure that it never gets stuck?
Teflon spray, occasionally, or WD40, or something else?
Thanks,
- Wolfeman
"Don't take life too seriously. You're not getting out alive." Bugs Bunny
fishinman

Post by fishinman »

If you open the rear battery compartment and look towards the bow(front of boat) you should see the post protruding internally inside. the locking mechanism might be easier to manipulate from there with another guy pulling up on the post from the outside . Using wd40 should help after a couple doses and a few hours. Good Luck
Vernonn

Post by Vernonn »

Wolfeman wrote:What should we do to the seat posts and the post hole to insure that it never gets stuck?
Thanks,
- Wolfeman
Probably the best thing is to do periodic maintenance like clean the hole and pole, then reinsert. If you use a lubricant, it might trap dirt that could make the problem worse. It's probably dirt and dust that accumulates in between the pole and the hole that wedges the pole in the hole - water probably then cements when it dries.
semipro

Post by semipro »

I coat the inside of the hole with Vaseline. A thin coat will keep water out and ease the removal of the post.
Steve Marino
(209) 918-1639

http://www.ownerhooks.com
http://www.yakimabait.com
http://www.vicious-fishing.com/
WackySenko

Post by WackySenko »

Kentuck
Did you get the post out, and if so how?
Chris N

Post by Chris N »

I found a new way, tomorrow I'm trying a little dynamite to get that thing loose- I'll let you know how it goes, or just check the news...
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

Wolfeman wrote:What should we do to the seat posts and the post hole to insure that it never gets stuck?
Thanks,
- Wolfeman
Sand the post to make it a little smaller. Remove the post when not in use.
propgun

Post by propgun »

Once you get your post out take steel wool to the hole and the pole base then keep both coated with a little WD40 and remove when not in use or just keep it coated with a lite grease
Ron Licari

www.peregrine250.com
http://www.theBBZ.com
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

propgun wrote:Once you get your post out take steel wool to the hole and the pole base then keep both coated with a little WD40 and remove when not in use or just keep it coated with a lite grease
Didn't you use some kind of explosive to get your post unstuck?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Kentuck

Post by Kentuck »

haven't had time to fool with it. I will let everyone know when I can get to it how it goes.
Basstortoise

Post by Basstortoise »

I have a 2018 Ranger z521 and the CoAngler seat won't come off even when I push the black latch in which is supposed to free the seat. It is latched in, not screwed in. Now I can't put the cover on because it's too small with that dam seat on there😪 Please advise.
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

Had to use a fork lift and a strap on mine...it did lift the boat for a bit...The strap left no mark but I replaced everything anyway.
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
Jboutfishn

Post by Jboutfishn »

Wolfeman wrote: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:55 am What should we do to the seat posts and the post hole to insure that it never gets stuck?
Thanks,
- Wolfeman
Try a heavy duty "O" ring on the thread.
Popper

Post by Popper »

Kentuck wrote: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:06 pm I am trying to remove the rear seat post on my Ranger. It won't budge. Any suggestions?
To avoid a mess with oils on the carpet and damaging wrenches use two wood blocks (2 x 4).

One on the deck and other wedged between the underside of the seat.
Use a mallet to lightly “tap” the vertical member while simultaneously Depressing the release switch.

-The axial upward force will remove post with ease.
Before reusing it, lightly sand the insert to obtain the required diametric clearance.

Send me a PM for contact number and I can walk you through the process. You’ll damage the release switch if not done correctly.

Ed
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I rub some paraffin wax on my seat post shafts, and they don't stick.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Phishphinder

Post by Phishphinder »

I had same exact problem when I got my carpet done and new seats installed on my champ. We tried everything and ended up using a sawzaw and hacksaw. It was a pain in the ***!!! New seats and seat posts are installed and look great, but both are stuck again. LOL!! They are now permanent fixtures until the next carpet change!!
birdman920

Post by birdman920 »

Been there ! Done that ! many times over the years ! best way is soak overnight with WD40 or equivalent ! wrap several layers of duct tape around post so you won’t scratch post ! use large pipe wrench ! works every time !
Popper

Post by Popper »

Phishphinder wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:03 pm I had same exact problem when I got my carpet done and new seats installed on my champ. We tried everything and ended up using a sawzaw and hacksaw. It was a pain in the ***!!! New seats and seat posts are installed and look great, but both are stuck again. LOL!! They are now permanent fixtures until the next carpet change!!
If you want to remove the post send me a PM for contact number.
-I’ll walk you through the process and guarantee it’ll work.

No oils are damaging tools required.

Ed