onboard battery charger

zillig45

onboard battery charger

Post by zillig45 »

I'm having problems with my onboard battery charger, first the charger is 8yrs. old.it 's a 36v 4bank 15amps.per.bank charger. It's getting hot and continually blowing fuses on two banks,no wiring or equipment changes have been done. Would isolating the two perceived good banks tell you if the two other banks on the charger are bad ? Any suggestions on any and all methods to check your charger.
mark poulson

Re: onboard battery charger

Post by mark poulson »

Check that the wiring is not chafed, and that the connections to your batteries aren't loose.
If it's a good brand, you can call the manuf. and see if they can help, or refurbish it if you send it back to them. When I had an issue with my Dual Pro some years back, they helped me.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Marc

Post by Marc »

Just a note of caution, do not allow this condition to continue as a defective charger can ruin good batteries (don't ask me how I know), and you could also have a fire.
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.TransducerShieldandSaver.com
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Marc wrote:Just a note of caution, do not allow this condition to continue as a defective charger can ruin good batteries (don't ask me how I know), and you could also have a fire.
Didn't Cris Lane BBQ his boat with a bad charger?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

I would call the manufacturer and tell them whats going on. Some are rebuildable, or they may give you a credit on a new one, or maybe some advise to get yours up and running.

I would make sure all connections are cleaned, and tight.

As mentioned don't keep using. Something bad can happen. 8 years may be a decent lifespan depending on how often you use it.
zillig45

Post by zillig45 »

Thanks for all the input. Cleaned and rewired complete from batteries to charger. Seems to be functioning properly.