Crazy People

Wolfeman

Crazy People

Post by Wolfeman »

Launched out of Holland on Saturday. The fog was really thick so I decided just to hug the rock wall and fish there until the fog burned off. Don't have to worry cause no one is crazy enough to drive through fog this thick. :roll: Yeah, right.
I turn to my buddy and say, "Doesn't that sound light a motor?"
"Yes it does." He replies.
Sound gets louder and louder. I'm starting to freak cause it sounds like it's coming right for us.
Out of the fog about 40 feet in front of us I see a bassboat on plane heading straight for the rock levee. Just at the last second the guy makes a hard left turn and just misses going up over the levee, and has to then make another hard left to keep from hitting us.
I looked at them and they just kind of gave me the 'who you looking at' stare and they drive off into the thick fog. I'm telling my buddy that we almost saw two guys get killed. And wondering if they might have taken us out too.
And, about that time I start hearing another boat coming our way on plane. I tell him to hit the horn (my Ranger has a nice loud one) and the boat comes off plane about the same place the first one did.
I looked at him and said "Really". He replied, "Hey, I knew there was a 5 mile zone coming up so just chill Man!"
That's the kind of idiots that are out there. Couldn't see 30 feet in front of them but they are driving WOT.

Yes, I learned a big lesson...'Don't ever assume that everyone is sane'.
That won't happen to me again. I'll be over behind something, out of harms way.

Was there a tourney out of Orwood on Saturday? That's the direction they were coming from. After the fog burned off several more bassboats came from that direction.

Be careful out there folks, cause there are some real dumbasses out there.
- Wolfeman
"Don't take life too seriously. You're not getting out alive." Bugs Bunny
Burke

Re: Crazy People

Post by Burke »

Had the same experience years ago after we left Ladd's and headed north on the San Joaquin. Couldn't see 5 feet in front of us so we decided to hug the shoreline and fish until the fog lifted. Like you, we could hear a boat approaching us and based on the sound of his engine, we knew he was going fast. He passed within 20 feet of us driving like his pants was on fire.

Like my cousin said, "Even though we had our life jackets on, it would not have made a difference if he hit us. WE WOULD BE DEAD!!!"

We had several more boats pass us in the fog on plane. Every time I heard a boat, I thought to myself, "Going ahead and kill yourself, but don't take me with you!!!"

Going fast in the fog is crazy.

There was a boating accident in the Sacrament River around the Clarksburg marina during the late afternoon yesterday. The skies were clear and there was still plenty of light, but two boats collided almost head on going about 35mph each. Neither boat saw each other until the last seconds and then, they turned into each other's path. Six people injured, but no deaths. How in the H**L do they not see other!!!
Last edited by Burke on Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bircher

Post by bircher »

Yes, there was a tournament out of Orwood, Tracy Oasis and Russo's. It's that time of the year when we get the tule fog. I fished the Tracy Bass and tucked in a quiet cove until the fog burned off. Everyone needs to keep there LIGHTS on in the fog, even if they are just fishing with the T-mtr down. It could save a life.

There are lots of folks that have no fear and will drive WOT with GPS thinking they are the only ones on the river. Keep it safe out there guys!
Mike Birch
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

Craziest thing I've seen was years back at Casitas, same situation. Couldn't see but 50yds either way in the fog so we decided to stay close to the ramp(rockpile) and fish. Well little did I know that before we got there other folks were ripping around and we decided to head to Station Canyon idling. we pass the saddle from G Camp to the island and on the shallow flat point was a boat at least 30 yds up the bank!!! :shock:

To say that people drive like idiots in fog is an understatement!
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

TD's can end this, or at least cut way back on it, by saying running on plane in the fog is an automatic DQ.
I know fish are stupid in the fog, but we don't have to be.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
g-man

Post by g-man »

The TD can also wait for the fog to lift some just like waiting for safe light. Might piss some people off, but pissed people are better then dead ones...
100% LL
fishinman

Post by fishinman »

I had a friend tell me quite a few years ago he fished a bassmaster tourney as a co with Gary Yamamoto in fog on the Mississippi river going 80mph plus. He said he couldn't see the front of the boat. Gary driving by gps so he asked him to drop him off on the shore, he did so.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Love this quote -- Thanks Mark

I know fish are stupid in the fog, but we don't have to be.
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
Randy Walker

Post by Randy Walker »

Yeah, the fog gets crazy out there for sure and some guys will flat out fly with no visibility... I always hope I don't hear a horrible crashing sound in the distance in the fog. I have been one that is always worried about that so will buckle down until I can see about 50 yards or so and still take it slow. That being said last year in the delta out of Ladds I was running with other boats with tons of visibility but when we turned into one of the sloughs it was socked in with fog. The boat in front of me kept to the left on levee side and I slowed and went tullie island side figuring I'd stay middle right, we'll there was a bass boat that had stopped middle right and making long casts to the island... I was not going to fast at all but came right up on the boat in an instant and had to cut right to miss them and left to miss running up on the island... I felt like an idiot (sorry to the anglers again.. Sure I freaked them out) but felt even luckier I did not hurt or kill someone... We'll there were 2 boats behind me that did the same, one almost ended up on my back deck and the other pulled left to miss the guys fishing... It was nuts! Never again will I run the fog even just n pad as I was going. A close call is all I needed.... Not worth it at all.. Life is way more valuable than getting to a spot...

Be safe... Stay alive and fish another day

Randy
~ Thanks for the support ~
Walkers Brittanys
RBBASS
www.optimabatteries.com
www.outdoorproshops.com
www.lock-n-haul.com/
www.purefishing.com
Berkley Fishing
Abu Garcia
imalures.com
optimumbaits.com
The Rod Glove http://vrxfishing.com/
Bruce Theriot

Post by Bruce Theriot »

[quote="g-man"]The TD can also wait for the fog to lift some just like waiting for safe light. Might piss some people off, but pissed people are better then dead ones...[/quote]

Isn't the TD responsible for the blast off and making the tourney safe for all? If the TD doesn't control these safety issues, could they be held liable for any and all injuries suffered by contestants and non participants?
scott h

Post by scott h »

I fished a Bassmasters open championship tournement on the Quachita river in 2004 and it was socked in tight, guys were running full steam ahead relying on gps and not just regular guys these were some big name fisherman, I was scared out of my socks, it was not only other bass boats running the river but a commercial barge thoroughfare, we made it to our turnoff dropped off pad and within 30 seconds a barge passed us, absolutely scary and being from the delta and used to navigating the fog could not believe those guys risked running like that.
BUZZBAITS IN FEBRUARY!@#$%^&*(
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Bruce Theriot wrote:
g-man wrote:The TD can also wait for the fog to lift some just like waiting for safe light. Might piss some people off, but pissed people are better then dead ones...
Isn't the TD responsible for the blast off and making the tourney safe for all? If the TD doesn't control these safety issues, could they be held liable for any and all injuries suffered by contestants and non participants?

It's not always foggy where your blasting off from. People need to be responsible for there own actions and stupidity. TD can't be everywhere all the time to hold your hand. There's not a fish out there that's worth killing someone or yourself.
BrandonCook

Post by BrandonCook »

I was out there on Saturday as well. Frank's was clear but as soon as I left Frank's I could barely see the trolling motor. I fished down the bank for over an hour waiting for the fog to clear and guys running by me like no big deal. A lot of guys out there with no common sense. I'm pretty sure these guys wouldn't be running 65 down a mountain road in the dark with no headlights so why running in the fog like that? The delta is a dangerous place you always have to be on the defense. Stay safe everyone wear your life jackets.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

BrandonCook wrote:I was out there on Saturday as well. Frank's was clear but as soon as I left Frank's I could barely see the trolling motor. I fished down the bank for over an hour waiting for the fog to clear and guys running by me like no big deal. A lot of guys out there with no common sense. I'm pretty sure these guys wouldn't be running 65 down a mountain road in the dark with no headlights so why running in the fog like that? The delta is a dangerous place you always have to be on the defense. Stay safe everyone wear your life jackets.
Common sense is the most uncommon thing.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY