Bill Murphy "In Pursuit of Giant Bass"

Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Every so often I pick up Bill's book and re read it and every time I do, I learn something new. If you don't have this book and you have a desire to catch big bass, get a copy.
Tom
sTony

Re: Bill Murphy "In Pursuit of Giant Bass"

Post by sTony »

+1

Murphy's book is like no other published.

sTony
some guy

Post by some guy »

iVe had mine on order for two months. Should be here any day.... I hope.

I picked up a friends copy of this and strolled through a few chpaters before he made me give it back, it put a lot more bigger fish in my boat. Infact if you recall Tom, I sent you a pm about this time last year asking you for heavy cover jig advice. This book was largely credited to how I found those big gals.
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
sker13

Post by sker13 »

Great Book!
There's One, Sterling
Hardcore Bass Apparel
hcbass.com
acm95301

Post by acm95301 »

My favorite bass book.
2009 Bass tracker 175 TXW 60 hp
Lowrance HD7 with Lss-1.
Power Drive V2 70lb 24v Minnkota trolling Motor.
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

some guy wrote:iVe had mine on order for two months. Should be here any day.... I hope.

I picked up a friends copy of this and strolled through a few chpaters before he made me give it back, it put a lot more bigger fish in my boat. Infact if you recall Tom, I sent you a pm about this time last year asking you for heavy cover jig advice. This book was largely credited to how I found those big gals.
Yes I remember. My problem this year has been locating 15 lb+ bass, lots 10 lb fish. Missed most of the good pre spawn bite and don't like to target bed fish. I beleive the big girls are there somewhere, just don't want to bait fish. Looking at Bill's migration path sketches has awakened some forgotten spots to try out and a reminder about Bill's book might help someone.
Tom
RogerB

Post by RogerB »

I agree, Tom. It is probably the most informative book ever published on how to find and catch lunker bass. Re-reads, and re-applies, are always very useful.
Please practice CPR (catch, photo, and release)
...RogerB
offduty

Post by offduty »

I saw the Bass Professor's Doug Hannon's commercial for the snake lure the other day. They said he had the only book available about catching big bass. You mean this info is untrue? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chris N

Post by Chris N »

Crap, I loaned my copy to a guy I met on an overnight boat out of SD a few years back, never saw it again- I need a new copy :x
GKramer

Post by GKramer »

A decent work for the most prominent bass fishermen for more than three decades in San Diego--who's NOT in the San Diego Bass Fishing Hall of Fame. :?
some guy

Post by some guy »

wow. That kinda raises speculation on the credibility of SD's HOF. I didnt even know such a thing existed. You would think they would have the godfather of SD trophy bass hunting in there.
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Fame is all about promotion and Murphy was low key, under the radar type of person that only surfaced publicly late in his fishing career. Murphy's book discloses a tremdous amount of big bass information, unfortunitly Bill didn't disclose more of secrets before he passed on.
Remember to use sunscreen before going out on the water, skin cancer shortened Bill's life.
Tom
Andy Giannini

Post by Andy Giannini »

Great book.

In contrast, my first boat was a build I copied of Hannon's Jon type lunker hunter.

They both fished big worms.
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
lunker punker

Post by lunker punker »

Best bass book ever witten. Changed the way I fish and my fishing life forever. Who cares about the S.D. HOF this guy belongs in the freshwater fishing hall of fame. Nothing generic in this book just solid info on how and why. I have 3 copies. 1 in my bathroom (daily devotionals),1 in my truck,and 1 in my shop i lone out to friends.
Big baits,big fish,big smiles!!!!!
Chaozu

Post by Chaozu »

I have it right here on my desk. I would agree, every time you read it you find something new. Great book
Ryan Margone
Larry Hemphill

Post by Larry Hemphill »

I always wished that he had worn a bigger hat since he only fished during the day! His book is a classic - worth reading several times, if nothing more than for inspiration!
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

One of the bests books that I have ever read on bassfishing, It changed how I approached my fishing patterns. +1000 as a must have read.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Andy Giannini

Post by Andy Giannini »

What would take to get him in the HOF?
Last edited by Andy Giannini on Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"

Post by 619 »

I agree. Bill should have been one of the first folks voted in. I hear that he didn't want to be in there and thats why he is not in. I can see his point with not being in the SD HOF. In my opinion there are folks that are in and shouldn't be. It's all politiacal and like anything else political. It's who you know. My Boss has been in the Bass Fishing Industry for a long time and he didn't even know who one of the HOF members were. That should tell you something. That HOF started off good but is going south fast.
JJCJR

Post by JJCJR »

When Bill passed away he wanted no part of the HofF. He thought it to be an elitist group of folks that were controlled by the bass council.

In recent years, Bill's widow has come to know that the HofF was established to recognize the notable achievements of the folks that have had a profound effect on bass fishing in San Diego County. They could be recognized in the HofF for more than just their ability to catch bass. With that in mind, his wife (when we last discussed this matter) would accept the award of being inducted into the HofF on Bill's behalf.

Someone just has to get the ball rolling.

Bye the way, if you are looking for Bill's book you can find it at www.anglersarsenal.com
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Bill Murphy should be the Fresh Water Hall of Fame for sharing his deep water structure bass fishing knowledge with bass fisherman everywhere. Bill put a lot of his life experience into his book, without promoting products. I think Bill would be proud of being inducted into the FWHofF.
Tom
lunker punker

Post by lunker punker »

Oldschool wrote:Bill Murphy should be the Fresh Water Hall of Fame for sharing his deep water structure bass fishing knowledge with bass fisherman everywhere. Bill put a lot of his life experience into his book, without promoting products. I think Bill would be proud of being inducted into the FWHofF.
Tom
+1000000000000000
Bill talked about pressured fish in clear water structered lakes with little cover. He would fish whatever technique that would produce trophy "adult" bass. His actions were all dictated by the fish and nothing else.
Big baits,big fish,big smiles!!!!!
PapaJohn454

Post by PapaJohn454 »

Just ordered a new copy from Amazon.com for $13 and change with tax and shipping.
Thanks for the recommendation!
PapaJohn
"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, Jesus, that whosoever believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16
PapaJohn454

Post by PapaJohn454 »

Just ordered a new copy from Amazon.com for $13 and change with tax and shipping.
Thanks for the recommendation!
PapaJohn
"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, Jesus, that whosoever believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I was fortunate to have Bill as my mentor and was one of the few people that regularly fished with him. I also had input into his book and took the cover photo. I still miss him....Steve McKay.

I was also active in Pisces Bass Club and partied with the best of them!
Last edited by Pelagic on Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

offduty wrote:I saw the Bass Professor's Doug Hannon's commercial for the snake lure the other day. They said he had the only book available about catching big bass. You mean this info is untrue? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hey OffDuty, that commercial is prolly 30+ years old and Professor Hannon's book on big Florida strained bass prolly was the only big bass book available back then and a must read. It was the first book that opened up catching giant Floridas in shallow, weed infested waters that offered insights to foraging habits and tactics to catching em. Murphy's book, takes it to another level and is also a must read. Bill's book, shares insights to tracking and catching these trophy black Florida strains in deep, clear, structure oriented impoundments. Both are a must read for any avid black bass fisherman, not just the pure Big Bass Chasers!
kawakawa

Post by kawakawa »

"Pursuit" is the best fishing methodology/instructional book ever written. Murphy's methods and thought processes have applications in all types of fishing. I read my original copy until the binding came apart. My 2nd copy, which was signed and personalized by Bill is a treasure that stays in the book case.

I grew up fishing in SD and was a member of Pisces with my dad back in the early 70's when Naslund was president. Murphy was a legendary club member even back then. Bill was always friendly with me when I was a kid, but had a gruff reputation amongst those who didnt know him. I now understand why he didnt like to be pestered by the high profile, run-and-gun tournament types who'd spoil his spots on the lake while trying to catch "keepers".

I remember countless days on the SD lakes with him being the last boat back to the dock, and always having more and bigger fish than anyone on the lake. If he only had one it would be the biggest caught that day, and if he had 5 they'd be the biggest 5! I only wish he had left us more of his knowledge before his untimely passing.

I had opportunity to fish with Bill a few years before he passed, but regretfully I never went with him. I envy GK and a very few others lucky enough to spend time with him on his home waters.

His methods, and those learned from my dad, have led me to many big bass catches over the years. Forvever grateful to both of them...GS
Larry Hemphill

Bill was a seminar speaker in book form!

Post by Larry Hemphill »

While I believe the "Bible" is the most important book in the world, there are other smaller "Bibles" that are an absolute must read for certain pursuits - and Bill's book is THAT book!! He was probably somewhat responsible for my passion chasing monster bass. Since he was a dentist by trade, I assume he was well educated and thus able to write a very educational book. To say that I memorized the book would be an overstatement - but close. It is always good to re-read a book like that over and over because the ideas presented become more clear as one's experience on the water expands. I was pleased when told that he was aware of my big bass pursuits and successes in Nor Calif. They just didn't get as big up here and I understand that those 20+ pounders are pretty rare now in Southern Calif. I just wish he had worn a bigger hat - more sunscreen - or something. I have had some minor issues with pre-cancer stuff on my face, but always try to stay on top of it. That is one of the greatest things about night fishing - NO MOONBURN!!!
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

Still my favorite book period. it's amazing what his tactics can do to a tournament guy and finding those BIGGER bites on a day when everyone is fishing for 5 keepers. This book has helped me in finding those 5 BIG keepers that will cash checks at the weigh ins.
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

I believe Murphy was a orthodontic lab tech, not a dentist, someone can correct me.
At one time the proceeds from this book went to Bill's family to help them, not sure if that is still in place, hope it is!
I have recommended Bill's book to a lot of bass anglers, not for his techniques or presentations, but for his knowledge about bass behavior. Few if any anglers today have a boat anchor in their boats, let alone use it. It's a run and gun, got to be first at that spot at all cost for most bass anglers and that wasn't Bill Murphy.
It was good revisiting this thread and reading the positive responses.
Happy New Years, catch a giant and dedicate it Murph!
Tom
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Oldschool wrote:I believe Murphy was a orthodontic lab tech, not a dentist, someone can correct me.
You are correct. He worked for many years for a lab and eventually opened his own business (Master Ceramics) to allow him to choose his fishing days.
Larry Hemphill

Post by Larry Hemphill »

Thanks for the correction - I wasn't sure what he did in that field but I knew it had to do with dentistry.
longshot

Post by longshot »

I ordered the book from Amazon for around $14. It said the seller was his wife.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

longshot wrote:I ordered the book from Amazon for around $14. It said the seller was his wife.
I bought a copy just after he died, and his wife sent it to me, along with a personal note.
She's a very classy lady.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

It's good to read that Bill Murphy's wife is benefiting from his book, good news!
This thread started at the time lake Casitas crashed, how ironic. I was still believing the giants were there, haven't caught a DD since 2010, this could be the year!
Tom
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Oldschool wrote:It's good to read that Bill Murphy's wife is benefiting from his book, good news!
This thread started at the time lake Casitas crashed, how ironic. I was still believing the giants were there, haven't caught a DD since 2010, this could be the year!
Tom
Fingers crossed. If they've started stocking trout again, there's a chance.
Of course, you might catch a DD salmon or steelhead, you never know. Just sayin.... :lol:
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY