Time for some new sticks!!

Cranedude

Time for some new sticks!!

Post by Cranedude »

Time to replace some aging and worn out casting rods!! I would like to keep the cost around $200.00 per! I need 3 maybe 4! Who's making great affordable rods? I've been away from bass fishing for a while, it's time to blow off some cobwebs and get back at it.......
scott h

Re: Time for some new sticks!!

Post by scott h »

Dobyn's just released a new series of rods for a great price, based on history they are a great company with A plus customer service and have a plethura of rods that are technique specific.
BUZZBAITS IN FEBRUARY!@#$%^&*(
kraetzer

Post by kraetzer »

scott h wrote:Dobyn's just released a new series of rods for a great price, based on history they are a great company with A plus customer service and have a plethura of rods that are technique specific.
+1
kraetzer

"I am ready to face any challenge that might be foolish enough to face me" - Dwight K. Schrute
dropshotter1

Post by dropshotter1 »

local guys will typically say Dobyns, and Phenix but you owe it to yourself to look at Kistler Rods. we work too hard for money and want value and performance from our gear. great customer service, affordably priced and the new Magnesiums are top shelf!
Dave
DDG

Post by DDG »

Irod, irod, irod.
DDG

Post by DDG »

Your best bet is to go down to a shop n check em out tho.
flipit

Post by flipit »

Im a big fan of the new Powell 3D Max rods. Check em out and see what ya think.
Fishing should be fun.
scott h

Post by scott h »

dropshotter1 wrote:local guys will typically say Dobyns, and Phenix but you owe it to yourself to look at Kistler Rods. we work too hard for money and want value and performance from our gear. great customer service, affordably priced and the new Magnesiums are top shelf!
Generally speaking Dobyns has the best selection and line up of rods geared towards the bass angler, not to say the other companies are not but from extensive research I am just stating what I have found. I am in the market to revamp my rod collection, I have been a die hard Lamiglas fan for the last decade and a half but they have slimmed down their line up so I have been searching rod companies high and low evaluating warranty, customer service and general reputation after all I am spending my hard earned cash on a product and I want it to hold up and be backed up in case of malfunction. I am not talking a couple of rods here so when you get into the 150+ range per stick and 20-30 rods it is a small fortune to sum it up. I have tested a bunch of different brands in the store, bought a few to try on the water and so far I am leaning towards Dobyns.
Just my .02 from extensive research, you will get many opinions here but the best advice which has been stated above, try them all and get what feels good to you, hunt down some staffers and demo some rods on the water. I am not sponsored by any fishing companies, just a hard working guy who likes to fish a lot and I try to make calculated decisions on getting the best I can afford. Good luck in your search!
BUZZBAITS IN FEBRUARY!@#$%^&*(
GKramer

Post by GKramer »

I can't prove it, but I sense what Scott H says is likely correct. Dobyns is pure bass fishing. On the other hand, DDG ends up being a little more right. The fact is, we all want our rods/reels, truck, boat and girlfriend to match, but that's kind of superficial. I've handled a lot of other guy's tackle over the years and some seemed awkward, or somehow out of balance for my fishing. But I'm pretty sure, those many partners and pros would think my gear less than suitable--for them. Since you're the guy who's going to be holding these sticks, that's the one you've got to please. (And everything might not match.) :wink:
Popper

Post by Popper »

Gloomis rods are my preferred choice, and have been for over 25 years of bass fishing.
Rods are technique spec to ranges in price to complete
With all brands.
Their NRX rods are the best in my opinion, but expensive.
You'll do just fine with the new series EX, Imx, or GLX.
Customer service and warranty 2nd to none.
Example:
Sent back a rod for guide repair (my fault)
They sent me a NEW ROD!

And I am not sponsored by Gloomis.

Ed
Kbm

Post by Kbm »

For your desired price range. I would suggest looking at the Powell Max3D ($190), Dobyns Savvy ($160-$180), and the new Loomis E6X ($190-$200) are all super solid, high quality and come with Lifetime warranties. Also, the iRod Genesis II is hard to beat for the price ($150). iRod has some of the best customer service I've come across as far as rod manufacturers. Just my opinion, though, to each their own.
jmats

Post by jmats »

Phenix Has the best warranty in the business there staff is friendly their are 3 rod lineups in your specific price range Recon, M1, Maxim. I would take a look there as well as all the other great suggestions people have made.