fishing dog

mjr

fishing dog

Post by mjr »

Are there boaters here take their dog fishing? I have been looking to get a pup and I'm trying figure out what breed would make a good boat dog. Any suggestions?
Randy Walker

Re: fishing dog

Post by Randy Walker »

Hey MJR,

I would suggest a brittney spaniel. They have no problem with water and they are really smart. The only drawback is that they do have med to longer hair that does shead, so you will have to do some carpet cleaning every now and then. Some would say that of course labs or golden ret are also good, but the brittney is a bit smaller breed and seems that it may be a little easier moving around the boat with them. My britt loves being out on the boat and I got him just as a fishing partner when I can't find anyone else to go...

Good Luck!

Walker
norththird

Post by norththird »

I fish with my dog all the time. Yellow Lab. lots of fun, the dog even watches my line waiting for me to catch. But if you want to stay dry, get a breed that is not so fond of water.
jimmy87

Post by jimmy87 »

I take a lab with me often. The good thing about labs is they are lovers and not biters. She might bark at a person that gets to close to her space if she is cornered (in the boat). Other than that unless someone dose somthing really stupid she just ignores thems.

it took only a small amount of time for her to understand where she needs to be when I move from the dirver seat to the bow and back. The whole routine of launching and loading did not take long to get down either. She knows exactly what I am going to do next and what will get her butt in trouble.

Great friend for fishing. only draw back is she is a bit big and if I bring another person its a little crowded.
When I do not take her she is pissed off when I get back home.

She dose shed hair but its a fishing boat so no real worries
just shut up and fish
DAN

Post by DAN »

My Labs have like it til I throw top Water baits then it's better to leave her home. I have to agree brittany Spaniel I loved having with me, brits do need a lot of running and work... Looking for Brit now
Dan Mathisen
dan_mathisen@att.net
209-612-5028

Ben Green Insurance
BFerris

Post by BFerris »

All I have ever owned are German Shepards so I don't have much experience with other breeds. I have a 9 month old German Shepard and have taken him out since he was about 6 months old and I am surprized on how quickly he caught on and knows what to do and what not to do. He just hangs out on the back deck untill he sees me set the hook or hears a topwater explosion...then he is ready to greet the fish upon arrival! Room does get a little cramped since he is a larger breed but Id rather have a trained big dog than a untrained little dog running around the boat gettin hung up on your expensive tackle.

Whatever you choose on...just bring some extra patience with you the first 4-5 trips out! Goodluck, dogs can be the best fishing partner you can ever have...I've had my share of humans on the boat that don't listen half as well as my dog!
https://www.facebook.com/TKOTungsten/
www.TKOTungsten.com
Garrett Charter

Post by Garrett Charter »

I take my Boxer when ever the weather is good. Dont have to worry about her jumping in-hates water. She sits by my feet and is happy all day. Boxers dont have the hunting instinct so they dont grab at the fish or baits. just my two cents!
Garrett Charter
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

Personally- What ever "Water Dog" you choose for a partner will never treat you wrong.... It is naturally built into them to love, live, learn and be dossile.

But a "pup" -- I ain't ever taking fishing untill it learns the commands and hand signals with instant obiedence first. -- Otherwise it could cost me another $450 on a weekend at night.

This is Cobalt when he was 6-9 months old -- and curriosity got the best of him as he never been on a boat before, around Smelly Jelly, and LOVED to chew ~ as any pup does at that age when your back is turned to them consentrating on something else.

He does not pick-up/chew on lures any more now :idea: -- But it is the constant pacing he does from front to back when there is a fish on line -- and he wants to see it first -- and try his best to pick up a hook on the front deck into his paw inadvertanly that is tied to another rod.

I have been reinforcing hand/verbal commands as well with the use if necessarially of an correctional collar -- and it has been working really well for all of us. I let him up front when nothing is happening and he heals on the left side playing the roll of "Look-Out". If I say "Deck" he is instantly now on the back deck watching hte side show.

Fun Times indeed. :D
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
Marty

Post by Marty »

I’ve being looking for a fishing dog for sometime now – I thought I had one but it was a house dog (it was a $750 Pug-at, half Pug and half Rat Terrier) it is one smart dog but it did not like to go outside in bad weather. Plus my wife now clams the dog as hers. But I’m still looking and there are a few things I’m looking for in the dog I end up with.
1. It has to have fur and not hair 2. It has to be really smart 3. It has to be small or mid size. Plus it has to be cheep! It can be a mutt just like me!

Besides being my fishing partner, I want to train it to bark at location that may hold fish. If it does or does not it don’t matter because when I come in to the dock that is what I will say! I mean the money that fisherman pay for lures and bait this days I should get some good money for breeding charges. How many of you out there would pay good money for a dog telling you were to drop your lure – see what I mean!

There is just something about a dog – it will love you even if you catch fish or not. It reminders me of the story I once heard – this guy leaves his wife (or girlfriend) with the dog in the cab of his truck and said he will be right back. A few hours later he comes back, which of the two will be happy he is back?
Larry Douglas

Dan.....

Post by Larry Douglas »

If you're looking for a Brittany, perhaps I can help. Four years ago, I had to put my first Brittany down for medical reasons. She was an older dog when I got her, but she adapted beautifully to a new home. When I lost her, it was like losing a family member. Eventually, someone on this site suggested that I adopt a Brittany from a rescue organization. He (sorry I can't remember his name) suggested American Brittany Rescue, or ABR.com. Long story made short, I found "Doc" in Utah. Although there is a qualification procedure prior to adopting, it's certainly worth the effort. Volunteers transport the dog to you.
"Doc" has been a beautiful addition to my house and he loves to fish.
If I can answer any questions for anyone contemplating the adoption of a Brittany, please feel free to call me at 209-239-8600.
Jeff Jewell

Re: Dan.....

Post by Jeff Jewell »

Great Idea Larry
There are plenty of dogs out there that are looking for a fishing partner right now......
When in Doubt " Set the Hook"
RichThiel

Re: Dogs that learn Quick

Post by RichThiel »

Another Idea is persue Jack Russel's. I have one that alot of you know "Casey". Wt 23lbs, big for a Jack Russel, but smart as me sometimes :oops:,

Being here at Russo's, I haven't had to put a leesh on him in the past 2yrs. They don't run off like other breeds. They keep you in check wherever you may be and they check in the direction you travel and are there before you are. At Russo's we have about 8 dog's (no Leesh's) and they don't fight among themselves.

Chesapeak Bogar
Jack Russel Casey
2 Pit Bulls Seldom seen
Roxwiller
Mikey ?
and three Chawah's (somethin like that)

With Casey, I can take him fishing with me and he seem's to know where to step and not. The only problem is he does bark when your throwing topwater. He also bark's when you have a fish on and the fish is jump'in around.

There fast on their feet, and diffently sure footed. Learning curve is about a 9. Show them or tell them once or twice and they get the message quick.

A hell of a breed, when I was a kid, I raised Labs and Chesapeaks for hunting and I got too say that Jack Russel's are alot smarter and/or their learning curve is a hell of lot better.

Just a thought on breeds of what I've experienced.

Rich Thiel

Good Luck

Rich Thiel
Guide on the California Delta and Lake Berryessa for Largemouth, Smallmouth and Spots. Teach all known techniques with up to date artificial baits.

www.calbassguide.com ,

Best 5 over 7lbs for 09
1- 8lb 3oz
2- 10.73
3- 9.06
4-
5-
Brian

Re: Dogs that learn Quick

Post by Brian »

I've had
Border Collie's
German Shepherd's
Rottweiler's
Cheesy's
and Labs.

I'll take the labs every time.

Top Ten Breeds Easiest To Train

1. Border Collie
2. Poodle
3. German Shepherd
4. Golden Retriever
5. Doberman Pinscher
6. Shetland Sheepdog
7. Labrador Retriever
8. Papillon
9. Rottweiler
10. Australian Cattle Dog
Welsh Corgi (Pembroke)

The Rest

11. Miniature Schnauzer
12. English Springer Spaniel
13. Belgian Tervueren
14. Schipperke
15. Belgian Sheepdog
16. Collie
Keeshond
17. German Shorthaired Pointer
18. Flat-Coated Retriever
English Cocker Spaniel
Standard Schnauzer
19. Brittany
20. Cocker Spaniel
21. Weimaraner
22. Belgian Malinois
Bernese Mountain Dog
23. Pomeranian
24. Irish Water Spaniel
25. Vizsla
26. Cardigan Welsh Corgi
27. Chesapeake Bay Retriever
Puli
Yorkshire Terrier
28. Giant Schnauzer
29. Airedale Terrier
Bouvier des Flandres
30. Border Terrier
Briard
31. Welsh Springer Spaniel
32. Manchester Terrier
33. Samoyed
34. Field Spaniel
Newfoundland (dog)
Australian Terrier
American Staffordshire Terrier
Gordon Setter
Bearded Collie
35. Cairn Terrier
Kerry Blue Terrier
Irish Setter
36. Norwegian Elkhound
37. Affenpinscher
Silky Terrier
Miniature Pinscher
English Setter
Pharaoh Hound
Clumber Spaniel
38. Norwich Terrier
39. Dalmatian
40. Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier
Bedlington Terrier
Fox Terrier (Smooth)
41. Curly Coated Retriever
Irish Wolfhound
42. Kuvasz
Australian Shepherd
43. Saluki
Finnish Spitz
Pointer
44. Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
German Wirehaired Pointer
Black and Tan Coonhound
American Water Spaniel
45. Siberian Husky
Bichon Frise
English Toy Spaniel
46. Tibetan Spaniel
English Foxhound
Otterhound
American Foxhound
Greyhound
Wirehaired Pointing Griffon
47. West Highland White Terrier
Scottish Deerhound
48. Boxer
Great Dane
49. Dachshund
Staffordshire Bull Terrier
50. Alaskan Malamute
51. Whippet
Chinese Shar Pei
Fox Terrier (Wire)
52. Rhodesian Ridgeback
53. Ibizan Hound
Welsh Terrier
Irish Terrier
54. Boston Terrier
Akita Inu
55. Skye Terrier
56. Norfolk Terrier
Sealyham Terrier
57. Pug
58. French Bulldog
59. Brussels Griffon
Maltese
60. Italian Greyhound
61. Chinese Crested Dog
62. Dandie Dinmont Terrier
Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen
Tibetan Terrier
Japanese Chin
Lakeland Terrier
63. Old English Sheepdog
64. Great Pyrenees
65. Scottish Terrier
Saint Bernard
66. Bull Terrier
67. Chihuahua
68. Lhasa Apso
69. Bullmastiff
70. Shih Tzu
71. Basset Hound
72. Mastiff
Beagle
73. Pekingese
74. Bloodhound
75. Borzoi
76. Chow Chow
77. Bulldog
78. Basenji
79. Afghan Hound
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

MJR,

I never met a dog that didn't love ta go fer a ride on the boat. Maybe a lil gunshy at first, but once intorduced to the experience, they will be a great, lovable companion for ya while on the water.

Four things do indeed come into play with having a dog on the boat, hair is numero UNO. At some point, all dogs shead some part of their coat a couple times a year. Secondly, mud & dirt, they are just not smart enough all the time to not stay out of it and whipe off their feet before doing so on our carpet. On any given note, a turn to wrecklessness and wild joy, this is dangerous for them and they need clear boundries and limitations explained until they get it, otherwise, a hook in the paw or some other extremity is inevitable. And last but not least, the need to go. They need a break from time to time, to run on shore to releve themselves.

In reality, these are all really minor things, not anything more than what we experience with our dogs at home. I've been taking my 6 year old lab Delta out ever since that first Nutcase we had in December at Berryessa, she jumped into 44 degree water then at 5 months, and hasn't jumped off the boat since. Now, she is just so content to be there with me. When I fish, she goes and snoozes on the back deck. When we run, she heads up front to scout and look around. When we Idle, she's right in my lap thanking me fer the ride. Very docile in her middle age age.

My new 6 mo lab puppy Taylor, she's a whole nother experience. She just wants ta play and be rambunctious, whether it be with me, Delta or the fish. It is truely funny to watch how she reacts wile I'm fishing and when I catch a fish. She definately wants ta lip every fish I catch, so I have to be very careful and pay attention until she settles down and learns to be patient, I'll let her kiss the fish before I release it if'n she's good. Taylor, I'm having problems keeping in the boat. Just yesterday, a sea lion came up right next to the boat smacking a catfish around, and she decided she was gonna ride that thing or pick a fight and steal the critters catch. Over she went barking all the way. The good thing was, she listens to my command and immediately, although reluctantly, came right back to the boat.

In time she, as all dogs, will get the hang of being out there with me. I love taking my two dogs with me every trip I can. I really like small, runt, female, yellow labs, that's my personal preference. I don't think there are gonna be too many wrong choices here, with the exception of really big dogs like a Mastiff, Newfy, Great Dane etc.
twister

Post by twister »

I can't keep my crazy lab out of the water. The only time I take him is in the summer when I tend to throw more reaction baits. One time he stayed chased my lure for 2.5 hours. When we're up at Union Valley R. he like following the boat when we move spot to spot. His average swimming speed is at least 5-7 mph. The funny thing is he is very scared of the speed. When we get onto plane, he hides under the flipping deck.
RichThiel

Post by RichThiel »

Twister,

Got to laugh in what you said about your dog. Casey, lower's is head EVERYTIME we go under a bridge (ROAD/WATER) or on the the road, a LOAD semi-truck comes from the other direction.

Funny as hell!!!!!

Rich
Guide on the California Delta and Lake Berryessa for Largemouth, Smallmouth and Spots. Teach all known techniques with up to date artificial baits.

www.calbassguide.com ,

Best 5 over 7lbs for 09
1- 8lb 3oz
2- 10.73
3- 9.06
4-
5-
drew

Post by drew »

My recommendation is a lab. I have a three year old female yellow Lab that I take fishing all the time.

There are two different Labrador retrievers, one is more like the original breed from Newfoundland with a thinner build and muzzle. This breed is sometimes called the American Hunter since the original breed is from America. The other has a broader build and muzzle which was bread in England. Actually the English named the Labrador Retriever after Labrador which is near Newfoundland.

The reason I mention the two types is because they have different appearances and behaviors. They are both incredible breeds and the number one breeds in the US for good reason. Like many have said they are very smart, easy to train, good disposition and are eager to please there master.

The main difference between the two different types is that the English are typically larger, less energetic and can be slightly easier to train. The thinner muzzle variety have more energy and love exercise, but both are very adaptable. Unfortunately most labs today are a mix of each type.

From my experience the males and females have different personalties. The males are more fearless, larger and typically make better working dogs. The females seem to be a little more reserve and mature at a younger age. There are four basic combinations between sex and type to consider. Below are a few pictures of my yellow lab "Chloe"

Cooch

So True Drew!

Post by Cooch »

My two females, are precisely what Drew explained to the T. Delta on the left, is of the broader variety, where as Taylor on the right, is that slimmer, trimmer variety.

Dan McKenzie

Post by Dan McKenzie »

There are plenty of good suggestions and an argument can be made for any of the choices, I have a very large lab 110# and a cattle dog mix 35# their personalities are miles apart, but both are great dogs.

Since the dog will be a fishing dog at best less than part time, and a pet/companion most of the time I would concentrate primarily on the pet/companion side. Pick several breeds your interested in an concentrate your efforts in researching the breed and breeders in your area. Talk with them in person if possible, most breeds have certain traits that are ingrained into them through genetics, i.e. retriever, heeler for instance.

What are you looking for in the "pet" side? A dog that will be protective of family and property, a dog that assumes everything around them is theirs and ready to protect it at all costs. Perhaps a dog that is approachable by all, loves everyone. Or maybe you want a house dog, does well inside, lower energy level and doesn't need an 1 1/2 of exercise everyday like the two I have. If I miss a day's "work" with them, they get unruly and aren't much fun to be around. Aside from frisbee and ball time they need a 1-2 mile walk each and everyday.

Sporting and working breeds make great pets, they do need "work" of some sort to keep them happy and fit, be it frisbee, agility, hunting, heeling, tracking etc...

Make a short list of what you want in a dog then research the breeds to find a good match. A dog will only be as good as their owner is at training and socializing them.
brambo0311

Post by brambo0311 »

I have an english pointer I rescued from the pound. He is okay for about 3 hours then he gets in your face and wont stop barking till you take him to shore. And he is still under the impression that mat is terra firma. Try hauling a 60# dog and 200 # of grass in the boat.. :lol:
Sacto John

Post by Sacto John »

My toy poodle loves the boat loves the water and is small enough that he does not get in the way. I know, its a poodle but they are one of the smartest breeds and very easy to train. They also do not shed so no hair in the boat or in the house, and they are great with kids.

Everyone says the same things about the dogs that they own, but after managing a pet store for 3 years and working for a vet for another 3 years there are very few breeds that I would consider owning, and a poodle is at the top of the list (right under a Golden Retriever, but the long hair is a pain) If you have any breed specific questions feel free to PM me.
PapaJohn454

Post by PapaJohn454 »

I have a female pug, Sophie.

Yes, she is hard to train, and yes she sheds a bit, BUT she sure
knows when I'm going fishing and she always wants to come too.

She can't see over the sides of the boat, for the most part she sleeps in her bed under the dash.

We share lunch together. When I catch a fish she looks at it then goes back to sleep.

So why does she want to go? Guess its just "being with" and perhaps the fact that we always stop at In-N-Out burger on the way home. She manages to get a few bites HAR.

If I buy the wife a burger too I'll set it on the dash and she'll bark at it all the way home.
PapaJohn
"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, Jesus, that whosoever believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16
Shad*Wizard

Post by Shad*Wizard »

Great looking labs you guys...On one of the Saturday morning fishing shows, don't know whether it was Sep's or Bob Simms', the guest mentioned putting vests on his dogs when they're in the water alot this time a year...Also mentioned not pulling a dog into a boat by it's collar because that can damage the dog's windpipe...I think those are pretty good rules to follow...

Great info on Ultimate Bass, Sep's and Bob Simms' shows on the radio on Saturday mornings...Yeah, Kacie loved the old boat ride too...Even jumped in the Break while I had a fish on one year...

If Kacie barks, it's a fish!...

Team KacieFish...
Brian

Post by Brian »

Speaking of dogs and boats. Does anyone know if those guys that lost their dog out of the back of the boat running from Korths to Russo's ever found that dog. It was a year or so ago.
Shad*Wizard

Post by Shad*Wizard »

That's another thing to think about when travelling at higher speeds with a dog in the boat...We as fishermen can hold on to something, our dogs can not... Couldn't imagine losing a dog out the boat...HEADS UP when travelling on pad or off with your dog in the boat...

Another thing I read about lately were dogs stepping on loaded shotguns in a boat and the gun going off...Another accident waiting to happen...
cleb19

Post by cleb19 »

Its all about the Labs I have a 6 year old Male black lab and a 1 year old chocolate female. My hands are full right now with both duck hunting but THEY LOVE A BOAT ride. Cant go wrong owning a lab PERIOD.

chad
BassnReed

Re: Labs Rule!!

Post by BassnReed »

We have a 2 1/2 yr old Chocalate and is fishes with us alot, we launch out of Russos, and quite few folks have met "Bo". His motor runs WOT all the time, but he loves going out on the boat.
A great dog all around.

Keith
KReed
Duckman

Post by Duckman »

Unless a dog is going to bring back your fish why in the world would you want to take a dog fishing, they can't even help pay their share for gas. The only time a dog should be in a boat is to get your ducks for you.
Kelly Steele

Post by Kelly Steele »

unfortunately he was never found. He had more time on the water than most of the fishermen I know. There will be a new "little buddy" in the boat when he gets a little bigger.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Kelly Steele wrote:unfortunately he was never found. He had more time on the water than most of the fishermen I know. There will be a new "little buddy" in the boat when he gets a little bigger.
Sorry to hear that.
Hardshell

Post by Hardshell »

I'm on my second Jack Russel Terrier. The first and most well known, Butch "The Bass Fishing Dog' was my loyal companion for more than 15 years. His successor, Butch II, is but two years into his stint as boat dog. He hasn't had the experience but it's taken me while to get beyond the orginal and move on. We were out yesterday on McClure and I couldn't believe how much alike they are. I think he's a keeper!

The only thing wrong with a dog is their life span, they sometimes leave you with a heavy heart.

Hardshell
tmulliken

Post by tmulliken »

I take my 'ol yeller lab out with me most every time I go. He loves it and knows the program. Soon as I step on the gas, he's under the passenger console for the ride, then back up on the rear deck when I get to my next spot. If you're taking out a pup, make sure they can swim, cause both of my dogs bailed when they were first starting out, not while running. They catch on quick and fishing becomes a huge part of their life. Loves to get alittle sniff in before I release the fish, oh, and when it's real slow out there, when he wags his tail for what seems to be no apparent reason, SET THE HOOK!
bunktheclown

Post by bunktheclown »

I love taking my Golden Retreiver out fishing. He is the only one that will go when it's raining or cold. Never complains or asks to go home. loves to swim , chase the fish and everything in between. Great dog to have in the boat minus the hair which is not too bad. He never jumps out unless I tell him and always know's where to be which can be a challenge in a 14'6" boat.

twister

Post by twister »

"Labs easy to train". Can anyone suggest how I can keep my dog out of the water? As mentioned above, he is obsessed with swimming in the water. When I walk him on the levy road he pulls towards the water. Maybe he is scared of the boat? Don't know but the only way I can get him back on is to pull him up by the collar. Then he jumps right back in if I don't tie him to the boat.

[albumimg]476[/albumimg]
davetNitro

Post by davetNitro »

If i brought my dog with me in the boat, and he decided he wanted to take a swim, i don't know how he would get back in boat. he weighs 155 pounds,,,

Image[/img]
DaveT

'06 Nitro 911 250 Verado
HDS 10, 8 LSS-1 LWX-1
SonicHub MercMonitor
longshot

Post by longshot »

I have a McNab and He was very easy to train actualy maybe he trained me? I swear this dog knows what im going to do before i do!!! He always stays on the back deck when i am on the front deck and as soon as i go to get into the cock pit he heads under the pas. consel.
One thing though is he thinks he is suppose to be doing something to help soooo he goes back and forth all day long wich can throw you off balance at times.
Mcnabs like border collies love water and to feltch so my rule is if i take him he gets to play fetch for 30 min or so.... Love my dog.
LS
By longshot4474, shot with DiMAGE S414 at 2008-02-17
Scott123

Post by Scott123 »

this is such a good fun to go for shipping with your dog. yellow Labradors are best for fishing they are very good swimmers
DannyP

Post by DannyP »

Here's my fishing buddy. Takes up a little room in the boat but no more than any tournament partner I've had :shock: Image

Mellow dog and only gets excited when I boat flip one.
Danny Prodoehl

I proudly endorse:
Denali Rodshttp://www.denalirods.com/
River2Seahttp://www.river2seausa.com/
El Grande Lures http://www.elgrandelures.com
Friends of Rollohttp://www.friendsofrollo.com
TeamBeefmaster

Post by TeamBeefmaster »

My dog, Kona, used to be terrified of my boat. I would bring her every time I went, and she would just hide under my drivers side console. Then one day, i blocked the area and forced her to hang out on the deck- she loved it! Since then she loooooves the boat.

You probably dont want to bring your puppy with a ton of energy, and the dog should be somewhat trained. Id say any dog would be great, it just takes some time to get them used to the boat, running, and water.

One strange thing: Kona HATES buoys. I dont know why but she flips out and barks at any buoys we go by.

Id also strongly recommend a life vest for the dog- it also serves as a good handle so you dont need a leash.
.facebook_1430328100676.jpg
Ross England

Post by Ross England »

Never really was too keen on the dog in the boat thing as mine used to be Labs and just too danged big. Our little beagle goes out every day I do, guiding or not. I have a hard time now leaving her home. She doesn't like rough water/rain so she stays home those days. Been on the boat since she was 4 months old. She is very particular about where she puts her feet so she has never stepped on a rod, lure, or anything else. She has fallen in twice, once from the rear chasing a gnat, once from the bow at about 30 mph, both times retrieved at no big deal. Beagles ain't labs though, they do what you want them to do when they want to do it unless you have a treat in hand.

Good luck with your choice, after a year and a half of Lil Gdog in the boat it just isn't as much fun without her.