Question on Chatterbait setups

steve black

Question on Chatterbait setups

Post by steve black »

So yesterday I have the best day Ive ever had on Chatter-baits on the Delta. So for my curiosity without giving up any of your secrets, my 2 questions to those that use them regularly, do you us a trailer, example straight tail, single tail grub, paddle-tail swim bait type, Yamamoto swim tail,or nothing at all ? Secondly do you feel color matters or is it just what the fisherman's are use too,example basic colors ,white, white/chart, black/red,black/blue, or blue gill/ perch pattern?
I just thought I'd pick some of your brains on what your thoughts were. Thanks for reading and looking forward to your input.
Steve.
Burke

Re: Question on Chatterbait setups

Post by Burke »

Glad to hear that you had a great day using that type of lure. I use them probably 75% of the time when I'm on the water.

I definitely use a trailer. I like to have a large profile when i throw them so I use trailers that are around 4-5 inches long (yamamoto kut tails and several types of keitechs [4 or 5 inch easy shiner and 4.3 or 4.8 inch swing impact fat]. For the kut tail colors, my preference is white or watermelon with red/black flakes (my favorite was a red/black laminate that they discontinued). For keitechs, I use several of the shad colors (my favorite is electric shad).

I just recently started to use Nutech's version of the chatterbait, crazyjig, and love them. They are practically weedless. I've thrown them into areas with a lot of wood in the water and haven't lost one yet.

My biggest fish on a chatterbait type lure was a 15 lb striper. My biggest black bass was around 7 lbs.

Hope that helps.
medfish

Post by medfish »

No pro but I have found you can put anything on the back of one them. However the type of retrieve and water will dictate what I use. If I want to keep it shallow and slow through the tops of weeds then paddle tail and small swim baits are the choice. If I am burning it, lower profile trailers flukes and cut tails are an option. Then if rolling deep beaver baits work well for me. As for colors. I always keep things very basic. Bluegill, white/shad and something dark. Again all dictated by retrieve first then color with the type of water telling me what retrieve to use. Just my 2 cents. Cheers
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

I always run a trailer AND a trailer hook and it seems to be just as weedless. 12" deadly duo straight tail worms make a great trailer
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
steve black

Post by steve black »

Thanks, Burke,Medfish and Ron, for your thoughts. I was using a Revenge blue gill pattern with a Keitech trailer and they just wouldn't leave it alone to my liking :D I'm usually a blade, swim bait, or cranking guy but yesterday opened a whole new world to me. The number of 4lb plus fish that didn't bite but that followed it to the boat was unbelievable even though I did manage to boat my share.
Medfish, I hear you about letting the conditions tell you how they want it as well as colors, kinda like blade fishing. They just attacked it with vengeance almost taking the rod out of my hand at times.
I guess I'll needed to experiment on different brands, thanks again on all your guys advice, see ya on the water.
Steve.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

First off the Z-man chatter bait I wouldnt give to my competitor cause I aint THAT mean. I prefer the D&M Pirahana http://www.outdoorproshop.com/D-M-Baits ... -pswii.htm baits myself but there are other vibrating jigs that are a much higher quality then Zman.

For trailers, I like the Lake Fork Shad, Single Tail Grub, Berkley Devil Spear, hell even a chewed up speed worm, cut the first 1" off of and use the rest as a trailer if it pushes water or undulates it works. The different trailers will affect action, so play with them and deveople your confidence, basstrix will get more wobble, the grub more pulse etc... Very versital lure, rocks, grass, tules, suspended fish it works.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
steve black

Post by steve black »

Thanks Ash, Sounds as if just about anything will work depending on the way you want to fish it. Thanks for all the great insight guys :D