Lost another old timer

Gene Buchholz

Lost another old timer

Post by Gene Buchholz »

Those of you that knew Steve (Smitty) Smith he passed away yesterday after a hard battle with Lung Cancer. Smitty spent a lot of time with FLW and was a great friend.
We're going to miss you say Hi to Don and the rest of the boys
DanIsaac

Re: Lost another old timer

Post by DanIsaac »

Ah man.....RIP Smitty, you will be missed!
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
george

Post by george »

RIP Smitty! Steve helped out every time I but on one of the kids events, what a great fisherman and even great person!

George
scott h

Post by scott h »

Very sad news, Smitty was my team partner and i's mentor very early in our tournament career, he would take us out on lakes to pre-fish, insisted we take his boat, and show us what was going on without actually showing us, lol. He showed us the drop shot rig, shakey heads and dart heads, the finesse techniques we lacked being from the delta trying to fish the lakes competitively, he would always drive us around and let us fish while he caught up some z's! Nothing like a knap on the ol ranger while the boys were fishing! We love you Smitty, your an awesome man, thank you for all the knowledge memories and good times, you will be missed dearly, RIP my friend.
BUZZBAITS IN FEBRUARY!@#$%^&*(
Matt L

Post by Matt L »

I can't believe the news I heard today. The hardest part of the news is that I didn't have a chance to say god bye. Smitty played a big part in my life. I met Smitty over 20 years ago back at the Hook when it was at Big Break. We hit it off and he took me under his wing. He played a big role as a mentor to me when it came to bass fishing. We spent a lot of time fishing together, having dinners with my family and even working together with AA Johnson. I have done excavation work for him and his partner Larry numerous times. It was funny that a concrete contractor, tried to tell me, an excavation contractor, how to dig and run equipment. I had to make sure I was the one to do the job because I don't think any of my guys could of dealt with him. It was Smitty's way or the highway. He was very hard headed. My two daughters can't believe that Uncle Smitty is gone, they will miss him. Smitty was the kind of guy that was always willing to talk to you and go that extra mile for you. I always had an inside joke with myself, "All I have to do is beat Smitty". It was the 2009 Hook Line and Sinker TOC. Smitty made the TOC and so did I. My big motor blew up on day one. We fished out day one and found out that we were leading the tournament. I did not have a boat to finish out day two. Smitty was kind enough to back out of the tournament and loan me his boat. My Partner and I won that tournament thanks to Smitty. That's the kind of guy Smitty was! I have attached a great picture of Smitty, myself and son. We had a slow day bass fishing on the Delta and ended up in Mildred Island before the sun set. As you can see, the stripers started to boil and it didn't take long before we had a limit. You will always be in our memories Smitty, RIP!!!

Matt
Attachments
IMG_0702.JPG