Think Tunnels are a Good Idea? We’ve Got a (Bay) Bridge for You

WB Staff

Think Tunnels are a Good Idea? We’ve Got a (Bay) Bridge for You

Post by WB Staff »

Today, Restore the Delta released a side-by-side comparison of two massive public works projects in California that looks at the promised costs, seismic risks, outsourcing, and lack of transparency and oversight.

Read more here: http://www.westernbass.com/article/thin ... ge-for-you
mark poulson

Re: Think Tunnels are a Good Idea? We’ve Got a (Bay) Bridge for You

Post by mark poulson »

Tell me again why taking water out of the Delta system is a good? It's like an institutional drought, making sure there's never enough water!
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
steve0806

Post by steve0806 »

mark poulson wrote:Tell me again why taking water out of the Delta system is a good? It's like an institutional drought, making sure there's never enough water!
Eighty percent of California's precipitation falls in Northern California. Eighty percent of California's water needs are South of the Delta. The two major water management projects (Central Valley Project and State Water Project) are at Shasta and Oroville. The Delta is the political football field.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I realized the Aqueduct, and all the water projects before it, have always been about money. If you have water, you can make the desert bloom.
But who said it was okay to raise water-intensive crops, like alfalfa and nuts, and then export them, effectively sending our water overseas, while we struggle in an extended drought?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
steve0806

Post by steve0806 »

mark poulson wrote:I realized the Aqueduct, and all the water projects before it, have always been about money. If you have water, you can make the desert bloom.
But who said it was okay to raise water-intensive crops, like alfalfa and nuts, and then export them, effectively sending our water overseas, while we struggle in an extended drought?
I believe market forces in the ag industry should determine what crops are produced. You believe the government should determine what crops are grown? Don't forget who is paying for the water produced by those two major water projects. And don't forget those payers have to pay for those projects whether or not they get any water at all.

You don't believe ag exports are good for the State's economy? You don't believe the lack of water and the decrease in ag production hurts people who are dependent on that industry?

There are a lot of benefits provided by nut production beyond exports. Nut hulls provide animal feeds as well as water saving ground cover in the form of mulch. Nut trees "eat" carbon dioxide. I thought trees were good for the environment.
Popper

Post by Popper »

I personally have no issue with framing. As indicated above, the revenue generated
is good for the overall State economy.
The problem with framing in California are growing crops such as Rice in
Primary a desert environment.
-This makes no sense at all except from the revenue side.
The amount of water required to flood thousands of acres of rice field no doubt taxes the
Water supply.

-it's time to apply common sense to strike a balance between framing
of certain crops and available water sources.

-Ed
BigWorm

Post by BigWorm »

California does feed the country and some of the rest of the world. B
Hopefully after this 'El Nino' winter it won't be of such a concern for a few years after the dang SoCal reservoirs refill. There won't be much snowpack in
Norcal to keep feeding the SoCal beast but it will be a quick fix!
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

4 large farming corporations growing crops in what is basically a desert isn't good for the economy ----it's only good for the bottom line of these huge farming operations . They bought land on the cheap then were politically connected to be able to get cheap guaranteed water and now they are reaping the huge benefits . Look up Stuart Resnick and tell me how a farmer with family ties to the Browns (that's; Governer Jerry and his dad) and how did he become a billionaire ??????
Here is a simple clean solution , divide the state into two , North and South . Then sell our super clean northern water to all the thirsty so -cal customers and AG .
Win ,Win , we get cheaper water for NorCal and they get to pay thru the nose to drink it ????? It will taste better than that chit flowing down the Colorado right now !!!!
Tight lines ,
Robb