New Boat purchase

Silentc40

New Boat purchase

Post by Silentc40 »

Hi there Westernbass. My name is Ben, and have been a member since the NCBF days, but had to redo my username because I couldn't remember my last one. Needless to say, it has been a while since I have posted. I love the site, the knowledge given, and the tremendous amount of info given.

So...I need your help. I have been fishing out of an old Valco-converted-bass boat, and it is on its last leg. I have been weighing my options and searching around, and have come upon a 2009 Tracker pro 16, 30 horse 4 stroke, loaded with all the goodies. The guy wants over $8,000 for it. It is well taken care of, but feel that is too much for that boat.

My other option is to buy a new one, either Tracker or a Lowe Skorpion, 40 horse. I'm a swimbait guy, mostly bay area reservoirs and such. Mostly fish solo. I also pull it with a little Ford Ranger, which is great but very gutless.

I'm all ears guys, and any advice you can give me will be so appreciated. I haven't done my part in chiming in on threads and posts, but will certainly do so moving forward. Thank you all so much!!!
george

Re: New Boat purchase

Post by george »

Hey Silentc40, Welcome back to Western Bass. I have owned everything from a 17' G3 with a 50hp Yamaha, 18' Champion w/115 Merc to a 19' Ranger w/150 and liked em all.
I found that the G3 was easy to tow with a light vehicle, I could go fish five times on a tank of gas which ran about $30 to fill up and it was big enough to fish the bigger lakes or the delta in rough conditions. Front deck is big enough to throw swimbaits to your hearts desire.
Actually fished a few team tournament circuits with it and enjoyed it each time. So with saying all that I probably would go with a minimum of 17.5 feet and 50hp.
If you just watch the classifieds and Craigs List something will come up in the 6K to 7K range.

George
reddog

Post by reddog »

+1 on the classifieds and PATIENTS. Something will turn up that you CANT turn down. I've owned a couple basstrackers 16'-18' and now a triton 20'. That doesn't really apply to your situation BUT we use valcos, and jon boats, for duck hunting the open waters during flood times in the area and I have also had a G3 and can say that boat although a flat bottom was VERY stable. I cant imagine their v hulls being any different. Additionally duck hunting is hard on things and we never had a problem with that boat, bouncing it off logs at full speed, over steel gates under water etc. PATIENTS.
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

I would not pay anywhere near that for a tracker style bass boat. I'm guessing that boat wouldn't fish or ride much better then a 25 year old Tracker since they appear to have the same flat hull. Gets some chop and they ride fairly rough. Wind will blow you around.
I would buy a $6000 glass boat and a $1500 1990 Chevy pickup to tow it with before I sank that much money in something that I might possibly regret after the new boat feeling wears off.

I'm kinda in the same boat you're in. I went from a modified v-hull aluminum boat to a 17.5 foot Crestliner Tournament Pro aluminum bass boat. I bought the Crestliner so my 4Runner could tow it. I think my boat is about as heavy as a glass boat so buying aluminum really didn't matter in my case. The 4Runner pulls it fine but the motor is supercharged.
Anyway's my biggest complaint about my boat versus a glass boat is that it is still a little cramped, the 115hp Johnson only pushes it in the low 40's, and the Johnson is a gas hog. I am probably getting the same mpg as a 20 glass boat with a 250 hp Opti yet they are going 30 mph faster then me.

I plan on moving up to a glass boat in a couple years. I have to save the cash first because I don't like payments.

Just be patient and make the decision that is best for you. I have seen some nice aluminum Tracker style boats in the $5K range here on Westernbass and also Craigslist recently. Check the classifieds here for boats and go back several months because there is a good chance they still have it. Also check Craigslist in a 200 mile radius of you.
fishwithron2

Post by fishwithron2 »

Check Craig list for boats. Know a guy bought a 5 year old NitroX5 with 115 for $10K. If you got the money and time the rite boat will show up. Don't be in a rush.
Had 87 champ 18'6 and my 4 runner 2/4 170hp pulls it all over and never had any problem on the ramp.
Silentc40

Post by Silentc40 »

Thank you guys so much for the input! I have gotten him to as low as 7k, but I completely agree with you Whoopbass, it's still too much. My biggest caveat is that my truck is rated to tow only 1,580 pounds. Patience is my best friend in this going forward...and I will heed your advice. Thank you all!
Chad Sweitzer

Post by Chad Sweitzer »

We recently bought a 2015 Tracker 175 and love it. No problems at all. Honestly, it rides better than both Ranger and Skeeter boats in the 17-18 foot range(I have ridden in all 3). However, the aluminum does blow in the wind. They are pricey for what you get, but that's because they're so durable. I would definitely recommend a Bass Tracker.
PB: Spot-9.625 (Shasta Record) LMB-13.27 SM-4.36
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

That's surprising that the new Trackers ride that well. Are you comparing it to glass Skeeters and Rangers or aluminum?
I was at C&C Marine the other day and they had a 18' Ranger aluminum. That was a nice freaking boat. Laid out perfect with huge decks. I was afraid to ask what they wanted for it.
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

I think step one would be to move up in truck a little. That will give you a little more leeway when your waiting to find a deal on a boat. If you could swing a glass boat they are heavier, but they also fish a lot better. Tough to control a small tin boat in the wind while trying to fish. Sounds like a 17-18' glass boat would be perfect for you.