Bass fisherman on the delta?

Derrick

Bass fisherman on the delta?

Post by Derrick »

In the past few months I have been forced to fish the main delta for the first time in in a long time instead of the south delta where I normally fish because of the hyacinths. I fish out of a bass tracker its old a 1994 works fine been catching fish out of it for 13 year prior to that I had a champion, ranger and a skeeter. I have been fishing the delta since 1988. I know about 600 square miles of it. I am not a tournament guy just fish for fun. I fish weekly but am very competitive. What has happened to the bass guys. I have recently launched at Rivers End , Russo's , Orwood , and Holland Riverside. I still get good morning out of people but that's about it. Is this how it is on the main delta? Guys used to BS didn't matter what kind of boat you had. I wave at people in bass boats they don't even wave. Bass fishing is my favorite thing to do. It is hard to talk the sport it up to a young person you take him out to the main delta and he says man what a bunch of jerks. I wave and they act like they don't even see me. Come on Guys it's not to hard to wave if someone waves to you. Fishing is fun right?
Derrick
Roscoe

Re: Bass fisherman on the delta?

Post by Roscoe »

I think it's a combination of a few things Derrick. Up till the last couple of years we weren't in a drought and our morherlode lakes were booming and so was the economy. The past few years our morherlode lakes are about dry, the state is broke whereas they can't fight the hyacinth and now they wanna take our water and send it south. I fish both the mountain lakes and the delta but let's face it there's so called delta rats and their seeing more and more boats cause the mountain lakes are drying up. Then throw in the pleasure boats which they have every right to use our waterways but the delta is getting hammered and the delta rats are getting tired of all the stuff that's happening to their spots. I don't blame them one bit but I agree you don't have to be a jerk but let's face it that's just how it is right now and until we're out of a drought and the state can help take care of the hyathian maybe just give a head nod and let it be. That's just my opion.
Javelin Jim

Post by Javelin Jim »

Hey Derrick,

I agree with you. I enjoy fishing the Delta( but by no means am I a Delta Rat) and the Mother Lode lakes. In my opinion, fishing should be a time of getting away from the real world and enjoying the time and memories you are making while fishing with your son, friend, Dad and etc. I truly believe that we as fisherman should be friendly and courteous to each other on the water without giving out their secrets. :) A friendly wave goes a long way whether you are an experience tourney fisherman or just a weekend warrior like myself. So continue waving because I always wave back.
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

Personally, I get a wave from most folks, whatever boat they have. Many before I do, and the few that don't- oh well. Figure they're just gettin' skunked! :lol:
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
W.C

Post by W.C »

I totally agree, it's so sad that you go out fishing because you love it so much and see someone else doing the same so you wave at them and they just give you a strange look, so I figure they don't understand stand what that means so I than wave the middle finger to see if they understand that better lol. But that's just me. fisherman should always be courteous to one another while out on the water . Don't let it get you down just fish on!
gold fish

Post by gold fish »

There is a group of young bass tournament fisherman that need to learn some respect. On and off the water ...
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I wave because I want to enjoy my day, and the people I meet are a big part of that day.
I wave and say thank you when people slow down as they pass, to reduce their wake, and I try to do the same when I'm motoring.
"Do unto others..." It applies on the water, too.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

I admit it im a waver, sometimes its just a hand up or two fingers out but a nod of brotherhood has been entrenched in me since my off roading days. maybe some guys just think I little too much of themselves and look at you like ugh meat fisherman - IDK I acknowledge everyone and ALWAYS ALWAYS talk to the guys fishing for sunfish 8)
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
norththird

Post by norththird »

Don't feel bad Derrick, when I fished out of the bass boat most other bass boat folks would wave or at least wave back. When I fish out of the aluminum boat, many bass boaters won't give me the time of day, much less a wave. But there are still some friendly folks on the water, you just have to wave to find out who they are. :lol: :D Keep the friendly waves up, hopefully they will be contagious!!!
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

I am an admitted waiver , I generally feel people are friendly and a waive is a form of acknowledgment about the sport we love . I fish out of a 18" V hull tracker and without a doubt I get the sense that some guys that fish out of bigger more expensive glass boats think they are somehow "better" because they might have spent more on a boat . I actually had a guy one time at a boat dock ask me if I catch "big" bass outa that type of boat ???? WHAT---I thought .
Of course I said yes and advised him my biggest bass @ 12.4 was caught from my float tube and my biggest bass in my boat was 11.2 . Somehow he was surprised .
I will say that if I see a particular guy that I waived too NOT waive back and kinda give me a sense of he's better than me because he has a better boat . If that guy needs a tow back to the dock , I AM NOT going to help him unless it's an emergency .
tight lines ,
Robb
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

Sometimes I wave first, sometimes I don't...but if someone waves to me, I wave back. I will even wave to the "lake lice"...but it's usually the "one-finger" wave for them... :lol:
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Your post is about some resident anglers avoiding you because you are new in thier territory applies to bass anglers in general.
Proof, ask a question regarding a bite on lake X and you get PM replies. Bass anglers don't share information if they believe someone else may learn their secrets....total BS!
People are people, some being very outgoing and friendly, most avoid making contact with strangers or someone they don't know. When you have bass anglers who don't share anything, most being reserved by nature, don't expect a friendly greeting on the water unless you run across a friendly person.
Tom
SacRtrain

Post by SacRtrain »

I'm in a newer bass boat and I talk and wave to everyone. Some guys are lame and it sucks to say but usually they're in the 60k rigs with dual powerpoles. It just is what it is. I've learned a ton from dudes on the water and at the ramp after we pull out. I try to pass it on too. Just keep waiving, the vast majority are still good hearted fishermen who can BS with the best of them.
MGJR

Post by MGJR »

This problem is not new, nor, is it limited to the Delta. I have fished Oroville and other Nor Cal lakes my whole life, much of it from an aluminum boat. Nothing was more frustrating than a "pro" cutting you off, waking you, fishing in front of you and exhibiting outright disrespect. I have even seen it on Clear Lake during pre-fish for big tournaments by big name national pros (which is really disappointing). I was fishing offshore a bit picking apart some piles/tules. Pro came in on plane between me and the tules, picked up his rods and kept on fishing with his back turned and no acknowledgement. I was fishing from my 21' shiny new boat. But, I have noticed a serious "chip" on the shoulder of many anglers. I have to give some props to established anglers like Dee Thomas and Bobby Barrack, who have personally, or with close friends of mine, taken time to talk, and even provide some hints. Often its reciprocal, I have turned around and helped Dee with patterns on Oroville. The true "pros" are the ones willing to talk whoever you are and show everyone respect on and off the water. Something, some need to take note of!
2833-34497

Post by 2833-34497 »

I agree with stuff said about some fisherman but also find some lakes are worse then others, I fish from a kayak also so then you really get looked down at by some. I was fishing Clear Lake not long ago and was fishing by myself when I had a few bass boats start fishing the same area! Two stayed a respectable courtesy distance and were polite, while one bass boat started casting within a foot of my kayak repeatedly. I was waiting to get hit it was that close! I stayed polite and pulled fish out from right between their casts and when they asked what I was using told them a white lie they deserved and in case a like that also won't let myself get pushed out of the area!!
Last edited by 2833-34497 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Popper

Post by Popper »

Derrick,

Not waving has nothing to do with the size or type of boat.
Ands if it does then that's someone I personally
Don't want to associate with.
Judging an angler by his boat is just plain stupid.
The Bass fishing community small and guarantee you anyone way waving my always gets a wave back.
Nothing better than being on the water and sharing the experience/good times with others.

Don't let a few ruin your view for the majority of us anglers that love fishing.

Ed

quote="Derrick"]In the past few months I have been forced to fish the main delta for the first time in in a long time instead of the south delta where I normally fish because of the hyacinths. I fish out of a bass tracker its old a 1994 works fine been catching fish out of it for 13 year prior to that I had a champion, ranger and a skeeter. I have been fishing the delta since 1988. I know about 600 square miles of it. I am not a tournament guy just fish for fun. I fish weekly but am very competitive. What has happened to the bass guys. I have recently launched at Rivers End , Russo's , Orwood , and Holland Riverside. I still get good morning out of people but that's about it. Is this how it is on the main delta? Guys used to BS didn't matter what kind of boat you had. I wave at people in bass boats they don't even wave. Bass fishing is my favorite thing to do. It is hard to talk the sport it up to a young person you take him out to the main delta and he says man what a bunch of jerks. I wave and they act like they don't even see me. Come on Guys it's not to hard to wave if someone waves to you. Fishing is fun right?
Derrick[/quote]
Last edited by Popper on Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
stillina99pro

Post by stillina99pro »

Never thought this topic would come up but ever since I started tournament fishing back in 95 I always acknowledged either with a wave or a " hows it going". I have noticed that in the recent years past and now some guys will literally walk bye you make eye contact and even hear you say Hello or whatever and just walk rt bye. Come on....... Really! Is Bass Fishing/Tournament Fishing so bad *** now or is it the sponsor stickers and jersey's that make one feel like BOB Bitchen cant talk to just anybody. I know some guys don't have the gift of gab. I understand if you don't like a guy or had a beef with someone then don't say anything but when someone is just being friendly and says hello or waives and gets a blank stare or no reply (LAME)! I have a good friend who is a quiet dude but he will say "whats up to somebody". Derrick keep up the good attitude with the waves you'll have more fun than the miserable ones!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I've found the majority of rude fishermen are just afraid someone will ask them something about fishing, and they are clueless.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
bassin75

Post by bassin75 »

It's not just the delta. I just experienced this just Sunday on Berryessa. My brother and I and a friend of ours fished out of our kickboats out of the Putah Canyon launch. We were fishing a point probably half a mile from the launch when a couple of guys pull up in a Ranger. I generally give a wave or throw up "dueces" to just about everyone on the water. But when encroached upon, and not even get a "hey guys do you mind if we slide in and fish inside of you here", all i'll put up is the bird. I've been around the water the majority of my life and whether it be fishing, wake boarding, or otherwise, and I was raised to be polite and to always acknowledge others on the water. That being said, said the only person we can control is ourselves.....Fishing is supposed to be fun and a reprieve from the daily/weekly grind.

My grandfather has a great phrase he used quite often while i was growing up... "It doesn't take all kinds, we've just got all kinds"!!!

Tight lines and be safe out there!!
Ceaser

Post by Ceaser »

Im a Delta Rat.. always have and always will be. There is a ton more fishermen and that is irratating. But I have an old slimey ranger that stays in the water, has moss and crap growing all over it. Spray painted top. Runs like a top looks like a turd. But neither of these are reasons why I would or wouldnt wave at someone. Bass fishing draws people of all types and personalities. I dont like talking to anyone I dont know. for any reason. its just the way im wired. Not everyone is a social butterfly or feels the need to wave to other bass fishermen just because they are other bass fishermen. People who drive Honda Civics dont wave at other Civic drivers. When I go fishing its to get away from it all... including Humans LOL Just like when i go to the bar i dont want to hear the guy next to me tell his life story. Just want a drink in peace. But in that case I can get up and move. At the ramp or on the water thats not always an option. social anxiety or introverted or maybe im just a d**k, either way, its not personal. Im out to fish not socialize and make buddys.
is that glitter!? Nice boat tinkerbell!
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

I wouldn't' let it bother you too much. I have a 20' glass boat and people are just as rude to me, and some people are really nice. Thats just people. I actually think people were more likely to acknowledge me on the water when I had a less expensive boat. My guess is its not the boat. Its pretty funny to me when a boat will be on there trolling motor passing right by and does not even acknowledge me. Its strange really. A little common curtesy goes a long way. Some people get way to caught up in being competitive, and forget its all for fun. You think the delta is bad....clear lake is worse by a long shot. Happy fishing!