New Melones Ramps

steve black

New Melones Ramps

Post by steve black »

Just wondering if any one has been up there and what condition the launch ramps are in? Last word I heard was that you had to launch off of dirt and needed 4WD. I see a couple of circuits are fishing there in Feb so I'm hoping it's still not on dirt. Any info would be appreciated.
Steve :D
basscat18

Re: New Melones Ramps

Post by basscat18 »

Was there Thursday. Still launching off gravel point. Long way to go for water level to get to ramp, @25 more feet plus.
steve black

Post by steve black »

Thanks basscat18, I take it that its still the Glory Hole ramp side. If their are any local guys on the website with other options that maybe safe to launch I'd welcome the info as well. I've heard some areas are not wise to launch if your not a local. Wish that wasn't the case but I guess that's the times we live in now a days. :( Sad to think.
Steve
MT

Post by MT »

Safe how? Are you talking about personal safety or the launch conditions? I'm not local but I have somehow come away unscathed for the last couple of months. Would you care to elaborate on these hidden dangers?
steve black

Post by steve black »

MT sent you a PM :D
Richard - Sonora

A Locals Perspective.....

Post by Richard - Sonora »

I am local to New Melones. I, and several other fellas I fish with regularly, all have bass boats and all fish Melones now. My assessment is this: there is (to the best of my knowledge) only one location on Melones to launch, the dirt/mud/gravel ramp at Glory Hole. We do not launch there without fourwheel. There is no ramp, so I choose not to launch alone. There is/was a hazard where the rising water covered a pile of roadbase very close to the only ramp lane. That pile is currently well-marked. The larger issue now is floating debris which is constantly on the move due to wind.
Hope this helps. Richard - Sonora
steve black

Post by steve black »

Thanks Richard, that was my understanding with Glory Hole ramp, I have 4wd so that's not a issue as well but hadn't thought about having a helping hand to launch,good to know. Also figured that there would be debris floating but that anywhere this time of year while the water coming in. No reason to go fast and ruin a day, Thanks for all the insight, I was hoping that the Hwy bridge would perhaps have something but I've heard bad stories of equipment being vandalized and I don't need that. I'll stick to Glory Hole. Since I have you on the line, How's the bite been, not looking for your secret honey holes just curious. Again Thank You
Steve
Richard - Sonora

Post by Richard - Sonora »

My last experience was Jan 21st. At that time we found 'em in the trees, drop-shot and texas rig any where from 8' to 38'. Jig bite was non-existent. No reaction bite then. RK
steve black

Post by steve black »

Thanks Richard :D I need to get up there.
Steve