CYA - On Line Purchases through Private Parties

ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

I wrote this on my Blog http://fishingasarookie.blogspot.com after having a discussion with a person who experianced internet fraud recently.

I purchase through online classifieds from time to time and my biggest concern is knowing that the seller is legitimate and that the transaction is processed smoothly for each party. There are unscrupulous people out there that are liars and cheats that want to make off with your hard earned money, and the internet is a hot bed for these "Characters." I have put together a very simple letter of agreement that I submit when buying or selling through online public classifieds, this is a CYA approach that vets people through selling of stolen goods, committing internet fraud, and documentation in case you ever are put into a position to go to court.

Use PAY PAL https://www.paypal.com/ if the buyer or seller refuses to use paypal I walk away from the deal. Never send Money Orders, Personal Checks, or credit cards for private transactions. It takes 5 minutes to setup a paypal account and paypal verifies that the funds are available.

I also write a letter of agreement or an “Invoice” if I am the buyer or the seller, if the person refuses; WALK AWAY

The letter of agreement or invoice needs to state the details of the transaction. Detail your information, legal first and last name and address, detail their information first and last name and address. List the the items being purchased with a description of what is expected and condition of the product being purchased or sold (ie carpet rash, good working order, New In Box) the amount paid, and the delivery time frame.

Then email it to the seller and request that they acknowledge or agree with Letter of Agreement.
This way if I ever do get burned I can go to court with ample evidence to get my money back, and file charges. It takes just minutes to plug in the information but it protects both the buyer and the seller from internet fraud.

Letter of Agreement - Sample

Date:
To Mr. XXXXX
This letter is an agreement of purchase between XXXX(seller) and XXXX(purchaser) for one 4 Blade Renegade Propeller 13.5x25P, slightly used, hubbed for a Johnson Lower Unit, that does not include a thrust washer. Purchaser agrees to pay seller the total amount due of $XXX.XX, which includes shipping.

Once payment has been received through Pay-pal the seller agrees to provide the purchaser a tracking number or shipment verification, of the propeller, shipment is expected to be received within 10 business days.

©Jonathan M Ashcraft http://fishingasarookie.blogspot.com/
StogieMan

Re: CYA - On Line Purchases through Private Parties

Post by StogieMan »

Great advise, Thanks Ash!
fishing freak

Post by fishing freak »

That's is great advice an I will go with that,the problem is that there are people like me that are legit all around. Then you have the crooks,which kill every legitimate seller.I have people send me money orders an I never flake on a deal an send the product they purchased with in 24 hrs an go out of my way to make sure everything goes as if I was buying it. The prob I have is pay pal charges me the seller 4% of the total amount which means now I have to pass that down to the consumer. So all on all it sucks all around for your honest sellers. If anybody buys any thing from me I guaranty everything I say!!!! if you want the products you purchase pm me or call any time.
IF IT SWIMS, I'M FISHING FOR IT!
tim mc nicholas

Post by tim mc nicholas »

That said, I had to close my Paypal account because of someone trying to hack it. So I use US Postal M/O's, if you send one and the party fails to ship it's mail fraud. tim
fishing freak

Post by fishing freak »

tim mc nicholas wrote:That said, I had to close my Paypal account because of someone trying to hack it. So I use US Postal M/O's, if you send one and the party fails to ship it's mail fraud. tim
That's what I tell people to use,an usps can track it.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

fishing freak wrote:That's is great advice an I will go with that,the problem is that there are people like me that are legit all around. Then you have the crooks,which kill every legitimate seller.I have people send me money orders an I never flake on a deal an send the product they purchased with in 24 hrs an go out of my way to make sure everything goes as if I was buying it. The prob I have is pay pal charges me the seller 4% of the total amount which means now I have to pass that down to the consumer. So all on all it sucks all around for your honest sellers. If anybody buys any thing from me I guaranty everything I say!!!! if you want the products you purchase pm me or call any time.
Fishing Freak, this should be more incentive for you to contact our sales team http://www.westernbass.com/dotcom/advertising/ and become an advertiser in the classifieds. The classifieds are setup for everyday users to swap and sale items and advertisers to share deals. I would dare say that our visitors have a lot more confidence in people they know are paying to be here.
fishing freak

Post by fishing freak »

Fishing Freak, this should be more incentive for you to contact our sales team http://www.westernbass.com/dotcom/advertising/ and become an advertiser in the classifieds. The classifieds are setup for everyday users to swap and sale items and advertisers to share deals. I would dare say that our visitors have a lot more confidence in people they know are paying to be here.

im not a business ash or i would be an advertiser i cant even compete with the advertisers. im just a everyday user that runs across extra product an just pass it on to my follow fisherman. im so glad that we have the classifieds so that i can do this thank you.
Property4sail

Post by Property4sail »

What great advice and I just used it.

Thank you, :D
G-unit

Post by G-unit »

I have never had a problem on westernbass. Bums me out you guys have. Super lame. I use the same money order system and have never had a problem. Though i have only delt with honest people. Thank you for posting this!
The Hard Deck for this Hop is 10 pounds
zillig45

Post by zillig45 »

The post that spawn this whole issue surfaced in late 2010. I've been meaning to respond to it sooner than this, but not QUITE this long. On Western Forum, one Ryan Elliott posted Tatsu line(15lb.) for less than half price,I got in contact with him and he said he had just sold it, but had two spools of six, and I told him I'd buy them. He also had Seaguar InvisX (12lb. and 15lb. in 1,000yd. spools, much less than half price, this is the line my son fishes with and he wanted to buy it as well. I told him to hold off until I got the other line because I had to buy with a personal check. After about two weeks, the check had been cashed and cleared, I called said "tweaker" and I had to jog his memory, but FINALLY he remembered and I could hear him telling his girl friend to get the baits from out of the bathroom? Well some time went by and I just figured I was out a few dollars for the line, but prevented my son from wasting any more. THEN on Dec. 13, '10 the USPS delivery woman brought to my door, a large package 14"x14"x5" with postage costs of $20.44 from the sender dated Dec.10 2010. This package is stuffed with frogs, wake and swimming baits, senkos. Spro, crank baits, red eye shad, Lobino baits, etc..

I HOPE THOSE OF YOU THAT WERE BURNED BY THIS CROOK CAN A LEAST TAKE AWAY A HAPPY SMILE FROM MY STORY!

Marty
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Another site has a minimum number of forum posts required before someone can sell in the classifieds.
That cuts down on "one and done" crooks.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
mweiglein

Post by mweiglein »

I'm sad to say I foolishly fell victim to a crook. IsaacG at 1-916-956-8148 is a crook and I caution anyone looking to purchase anything from him. I sent him $50.00 for a Shimano reel. That was nearly 4 weeks ago, and a couple "sorry" text messages. He has now stopped responding and no reel. I have always had very good luck with "majority" of sellers on here. This bum has me bummed out. He resides in Elk Grove. You have been warned.