Frog rod recommendation

Freefall

Frog rod recommendation

Post by Freefall »

I'm in need of a Frog rod and was Interested in a few but wanted some feedback before I do. I'll be throwing both hollow bodies / rage toads on it.

I'm interested in 3.

First, the Diawa Tatula 7'4" heavy frog rod. They're light and feel good in my hand.

2nd, the Powell Max3d 736. My concern with this rod is how stiff it is and the minimum lure weight rating of 3/4 ounce. Most hollow bodies are that or less. Has anyone used this particular rod ?

Lastly the Dobyns Savy 735. I've never owned a Dobyns but hear good things.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
Freefall

Frog rod recommendation

Post by Freefall »

I'm in need of a Frog rod and was Interested in a few but wanted some feedback before I do. I'll be throwing both hollow bodies / rage toads on it.

I'm interested in 3.

First, the Diawa Tatula 7'4" heavy frog rod. They're light and feel good in my hand.

2nd, the Powell Max3d 736. My concern with this rod is how stiff it is and the minimum lure weight rating of 3/4 ounce. Most hollow bodies are that or less. Has anyone used this particular rod ?

Lastly the Dobyns Savy 735. I've never owned a Dobyns but hear good things.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
rands

Re: Frog rod recommendation

Post by rands »

I can't say enough for the dobyn's 735. It throws frogs great and has many others uses. Makes a good heavy jig and flipping rod.
Jeff Antenucci

Post by Jeff Antenucci »

That 736 is without a doubt the best rod I have used around heavy cover - both for frogs and flipping. I've been throwing it since it came out, and cannot imagine a better rod. As far as the rating, I learned a long time ago to focus on how a rod handles the fish over anything else.

And as stiff as that rod is, it has about the perfect backbone for heavy duty fishing. It has enough of a tip to work it and absorb a hook set, but it shuts off quick.
Tarpon120

Post by Tarpon120 »

In my opinion, you might have a hard time finding a single rod for both hollow bodies and rage toads. The frog rod should be heavier, where the toad rod should allow the fish to take the bait...more like a spinnerbait or buzzbait rod. That being said, I have both a Savvy 735 and a Powell 735 for hollow bodied frogs and like both. I like using a Dobyns 734 for toad baits.
rdh

Post by rdh »

I have one of the g-loomis frog rods and like it a lot. I don't throw Rage frogs as the "feet" break off too easily. I go with the Stanley Ribbit frogs instead. It casts both the small and large Ribbits pretty well.
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

The Powell Max 3D 736 is an excellent hollow body frog rod. It can be used as a jig rod and used for pitching too. It has an excellent tip for casting accuracy, walking the bait and has very good back bone. You can use it for the toad type baits but I would suggest a different rod with a softer tip for that as you will need to have some give to allow the fish to suck down and eat that type of bait. I use the Phenix M1 72 Heavy for the toad type baits. In fact, I use that Phenix for hollow body frogs as well when needed....

Good luck!
Glenn Abuelhaj
DDG

Post by DDG »

Has anyone fished the Powell deisel 734 for frogs I'm curious if it's as beefy as the 764??
Mike

Post by Mike »

The Dobyns 736 has been my Frog rod for the last 10+ years. Works perfectly
OG on WB since 1993
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Irods Fred Magic stick, best frog Rod on the market. That's my opion but that rod is built specifically for frogs and is a great versatile Rod as well. I own a good amount of them and I just can't say enough. I'm surprised it took this long for it to be recommended on here. I know there's other great rods and this is just my personal preference but ya should try it. Also you can't beat Irod customer service, if and when you call them you speak to Matt Newman directly, not no sales rep or other company people you speak to the owner and you also get lifetime warranty. If anything happens Matt Newman takes care of it no questions asked.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

The Dobyns Champ 735C is our #1 selling rod. It just has so many uses. It's our most sought after frog rod. That being said, I prefer the Champ 736C. It's a beast with some tip action for casting. It also doubles for an awesome pitching stick. This rod is still my personal favorite out of all the models we make. We do sell a LOT of Savvy 735C rods as well. This model is a fast action rod but not nearly as fast as Champ 735C. It's also super versatile rod that will fish a ton of baits well. If you have any questions, please give us a call and Richard Dobyns, Dan Wells, or myself will answer all your questions. We do this dozens of times everyday. Shop # 530-671-1989 THX!!
egbasshooker

Post by egbasshooker »

Definitely a Dobyns 736 champ! There's a reason i own 3 of those and 4+ 735 Champs!! :D
http://www.rbbassfishing.net
Dobyns Rods <--___.
bassdaddy

Post by bassdaddy »

I really don't know if a guy needs to own both the Dobyns 735 and 736 but I convinced my wife I DID :lol: Both are excellent choices for throwing frogs and a multitude of other presentations.
ripslips2

Post by ripslips2 »

I love throwing frogs I personally own 5 frog rods and like them all depending on situation 2 st. Croix and 2 powell frog rods and 1 dobyns the st. Croix rods softer tip and I use in open water or buzz frogs . the powell frog rods by far my favorite I can pull a big fish out of thick cover no problem its my go to . last off I have a dobyns frog rod very nice as well seams to have to soft of a tip for my liking for frogs I use it more for chatterbaits and Stanley ribbit frogs . well that's my opion on the frog rods I own . get out there and rip some lips ribbit ribbit
slkric

Post by slkric »

Extremely pleased with my Diawa Tatula 7'4" heavy frog rod. Have two more coming!!
Dan's Delta Outdoors

Post by Dan's Delta Outdoors »

The best in class, Waft Outlaw 7'2 XHC. Lifetime warranty, 55 Ton Carbon fiber, Titanium Guides, flat the power and strength to get 'er done!
basstards23

Post by basstards23 »

Check out the Cousins Tackle series of Graphite Magnum Bass rods. The GMB 735PT frog rod is amazing. It is the most versatile Frog Rod I have ever used. Anyone can walk a frog with it, the tip does all the work for you in open water situations. If you prefer to throw a frog in the "cheese" it also has the backbone to get 'em out of the slop.

I'm not sure where you are located but you can check them out at Fisherman's Warehouse, Tackle Warehouse or Cousinstackle.com.

You can also send me a PM, if you are a NorCal local, I can get one in your hands for a demo day.