If you were going to Shasta for 5 days......

BassNCop

If you were going to Shasta for 5 days......

Post by BassNCop »

how and with what would you fish with? How is pretty easy however, with what? Here's my problem....I am going to be on Shasta for 5 days this coming weekend on a house boat. I was going to haul my Ranger up there and tie it off to the house boat so I can do a lot of bass fishing. Now that the price of gas has gone through the roof I'm thinking about leaving the Ranger in the garage. If I do I will be forced to fish off the rear of the house boat (trolling around). What do you recommend I use? I have the rods just tell me what pound test and what type of tackle I need to go get and tie on....please!

Thanks
Rex

Re: If you were going to Shasta for 5 days......

Post by Rex »

I would still take the Ranger. You can putt around quite a bit without burning too much fuel. Just fish in the vicinity of your houseboat and be mindful of how much you run your big motor.
bryanmc

Post by bryanmc »

Rex is right...
Houseboats usually end up in coves, and coves are formed by 2 points... get it?
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

how do i put this,,,YOUR ON VACATION, ON A HOUSEBOAT MOVING DAY TO DAY FROM ONE AERA TO ANOTHER, GREAT OPPERTUNITY TO PICK APART THE LAKE BY SECTIONS, TAKE YOUR RANGER!!! most likely you will burn less gas because you will be using the houseboat for the scouting...
the tackle i would bring..1) got to have my spook or sammy tied on! 2) i would do a carolina rig 3) a jig 4) and 5) a ripbait (i would usually have 2 ripbait rods. i do not like to change my baits on my rods. i have a deep running ripbait and a shallow) 6) REMEMBER YOUR DROPSHOT. i know you can run across times fishing some deep water and shallow. so bring all your different sizes of weights. 7) do not forget the almighty senko. a fishing trip can be risky without your senkos. 8) and a texas rig.
good luck and have fun. you know what , just bring everything. i herd swimbait work too.............saLTIE-
ACRon

Post by ACRon »

By taking your Ranger you will use less fuel than you would driving around the houseboat. They burn alot of fuel compared to your Ranger. Also because you are right where you will be fishing most of the big motor runs will be short and then you will be on the trolling motor.

You can't really see as much from the houseboat. I was up there this weekend but no fishing due to other commitments. The lake still looks to be down 15-20 feet but with the warming trend it will be coming up.
BassNCop

Post by BassNCop »

You guys have made my decision hard now! LOL I was pretty set in not taking my boat and just saving some money and fishing off the houseboat. Well I have 4 days to keep tossing it around. Thanks!
Randy Yeager

Post by Randy Yeager »

Let me make it easy for you, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT GOING TO SHASTA WITHOUT THE RANGER.

Fish 4" green pumpkin senko's on 6# line. Rig it with an "O" ring and a nail weight in the end. Wacky Style on slack line, watch the bow in the line for a tick and check for pressure now and then. If no fish by the time it gets to the bottom, recast to new spot
SethB

Post by SethB »

I fish shasta from shore and houseboat quite often Its not bad but it can be frustrating to see that sweet looking point and not be able to get to it cause the bank is so dang steep. having a boat will definetly help but thats up to you. As for baits you cant go wrong with 5" twin tail hulagrubs on a 3/8-3/4oz. football head. go with 12# floro for the jigs. That bait will catch fish big, small, deep, shallow, fast, slow, day, night this bait just plain catches fish. color is not all that important I try to stick with earth tones/craw colors. A 4"-6" worm on a 1/8-1/4 oz. darter head is a classic shasta bait. Sencos have also been a hot bait but that can get expensive in a hurry when you get into a mess of 1.25# shasta clones. lots of dropshot fish on 6#-8# line. topwaters can also kick out some nice fish early and late in the day. I have gotten some good reports of nice fish in the 20'-40' range. but check both deeper and always chech shallow. With some good weather fish should start showing up shallow. dont forget to bring a fillet knife. 12" shasta spots are tasty when fried and served for breakfast with some fried potatoes.
Take a kid fishing
Jeff Jewell

Post by Jeff Jewell »

Gas saved by NOT taking ranger bass boat to Shasta, 2 mpg
tackle lost by not having bass boat to get in right position, $50.00
Frustration over not having a bass boat for 5 day on Shasta, priceless.

Never seen a house boat with a trolling motor!!!!
When in Doubt " Set the Hook"
BassNCop

Alright...you all convinced me........

Post by BassNCop »

I'm taking the Ranger! I got to think'n....that's dangerous all by itself....how can you put a price on recreation? Well I suppose you could to some degree but, what the hell...you only live once. I've never been to Shasta, I'm not a trolling around the lake type fisherman, and screw the Iranians! I'm going fishing! Bass fishing that is.

Thanks all!