HDS 12 Gen 2 Touch - Water Depth & 2D Sonar Problems

Moderator: Ken Sauret

LakeChamplain

HDS 12 Gen 2 Touch - Water Depth & 2D Sonar Problems

Post by LakeChamplain »

I have a two HDS 12 Gen 2 Touch units on my boat (console and bow). Frequently as of late (and seemingly randomly) the system does not work. It exhibits the following problems:
• No reading for water depth
• Weak or unintelligible 2D Sonar graph
• No reading for Water temperature
• Auto water depth setting jumps to a deep depth setting that is in no relation to the actual water depth

Some days it works, some days it does not. Often it doesn’t work right after launching, then mysteriously cures itself an hour or so later. I suspect these problems are related (though not sure why/how the temp reading might be related if it is). I also suspect the common cause is the 2D transducer (?). Grateful for any insight, troubleshooting or fixes.
PS I bought the boat recently (2014 Triton 21 TRX), I actually do not know where the 2D transducer is, I don’t think it’s on the transom, it’s in the hull correct? Can you tell me what the Transducer product number is?
Edd

Re: HDS 12 Gen 2 Touch - Water Depth & 2D Sonar Problems

Post by Edd »

Can you give us network info? Ethernet and NMEA, also, where does the bow unit get its sonar info?
You are correct to suspect the 2D transducer and maybe you can verify. Is console unit's transducer mounted on transom or is it a 'shoot through' mounted in the bilge?

Edd
LakeChamplain

Post by LakeChamplain »

Thanks for the quick reply.

Transducer - Shoot-thru-hull. For the life of me I can't see it thru all the stuff in the way (batteries, charger, power pole hydraulic pumps, oil tank). Can not see it

Ethernet and NMEA - What info are you looking for?
NMEA 2000 - Receive way point = on / Serial Output = off
NMEA 0183 - Receive Waypoint = on / Send waypoint = on/ backlight sync. = on
Ethernet - IP Address = Unavailable / MAC address =00:0E:24:E8:C6

The bow unit gets its signal from the console unit (I think the only transducer is in the bilge).

What are you thinking with regard to Ethernet/NMEA? Of course my hope is that I can fix this by clicking the right things on the set up rather than needing a new transducer.

Thanks.
Edd

Post by Edd »

LakeChamplain wrote:Thanks for the quick reply.

Transducer - Shoot-thru-hull. For the life of me I can't see it thru all the stuff in the way (batteries, charger, power pole hydraulic pumps, oil tank). Can not see it

Ethernet and NMEA - What info are you looking for?
NMEA 2000 - Receive way point = on / Serial Output = off
NMEA 0183 - Receive Waypoint = on / Send waypoint = on/ backlight sync. = on
Ethernet - IP Address = Unavailable / MAC address =00:0E:24:E8:C6

The bow unit gets its signal from the console unit (I think the only transducer is in the bilge).

What are you thinking with regard to Ethernet/NMEA? Of course my hope is that I can fix this by clicking the right things on the set up rather than needing a new transducer.

Thanks.
Sure sounds like the XDCR in the bilge has gone bad, or some damage to it's cable has occured. Best way to check this is to plug in another XDCR to the console unit and see how both units react. Check to see IF you have an external temp sensor mounted to the transom. This is the only way for you to get accurate surface temp unless there is a XDCR on the TM.
Bass hack

Post by Bass hack »

LakeChamplain wrote:I have a two HDS 12 Gen 2 Touch units on my boat (console and bow). Frequently as of late (and seemingly randomly) the system does not work. It exhibits the following problems:
• No reading for water depth
• Weak or unintelligible 2D Sonar graph
• No reading for Water temperature
• Auto water depth setting jumps to a deep depth setting that is in no relation to the actual water depth

Some days it works, some days it does not. Often it doesn’t work right after launching, then mysteriously cures itself an hour or so later. I suspect these problems are related (though not sure why/how the temp reading might be related if it is). I also suspect the common cause is the 2D transducer (?). Grateful for any insight, troubleshooting or fixes.
PS I bought the boat recently (2014 Triton 21 TRX), I actually do not know where the 2D transducer is, I don’t think it’s on the transom, it’s in the hull correct? Can you tell me what the Transducer product number is?
My lowrance does this when I first launch my boat as well. To get it to work quickly, I will set the depth manually to 20 ft or so (some depth slightly deeper than the launch area), and switch frequencies on the sonar until I get a bottom lock. Once the unit finds the bottom, everything else starts working. It only takes a a minute or so to get the unit to find the bottom. I do store my boat outside and the tranducer does get warm , so I do suspect that has something to do with it. who knows.
LakeChamplain

Post by LakeChamplain »

Thanks EDD, that's a great suggestion

Bass Hack - Wow, that sounds very similar to my issues. In fact I have tried what you have tried. Usually/eventually things get better. Recently however it has not responded (the last 2 times ive launched).