Feedback needed... hook 7 or Helix 7....

Freefall

Feedback needed... hook 7 or Helix 7....

Post by Freefall »

I'm considering adding a graph to my boat (no electronics for me to date) & wanted to hear your thoughts on the Lowrance hook 7 VS the Hummingbird Helix 7.

I'm looking at the DI with GPS unit.

Any tips or feedback would be appreciated.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
zdbm2004

Re: Feedback needed... hook 7 or Helix 7....

Post by zdbm2004 »

Consider a Garmin echomap 74sv as another choice. I just purchased one a few months ago and looked at the others side by side and am glad with my decision. Very clear, easy to navigate, price was right. I didn't get the one with chirp but coming from my old depth finders it is a world of difference. Good luck in your decision making.
zmyers
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

I installed a Helix 7 about 5 months ago . I am not a tournament fisherman and was replacing a 10+ year old hummingbird unit . I went with putting the new unit up front with the trolling motor , so I opted for a Di with GPS .
For my uses , I love the unit . It takes time to use all the new features , so practicing while fishing usually doesn't happen . The screen has am amazing picture and for me , it's good enough to look for baitballs , drop offs and rock piles . Reading the different types of deep weeds takes some getting used to .
I bought it at BPS when they first had a sell on the unit for $450.
tight lines ,
Robb
kmah

Post by kmah »

for the money you get a lot of the higher end features that you would have to buy in the touch models.

CHIRP Sonar plus DownScan Imaging
DownScan Overlay
TrackBack
Multi-Window Display/pages
One transducer easy install
Under $600 with nav.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
ttb31183

Post by ttb31183 »

I would go with the Elite 7 Ti if you can. Was really impressed with this unit. It can do much of what the much more expensive HDS units can.

http://www.westernbass.com/article/firs ... h-lowrance
Tyler Brinks
NoCAL

Post by NoCAL »

Gotta agree with the last two guys. Elite 7 Ti. Does almost everything an HDS unit does. Don't be taken in by a Downscan only unit. Once you actually learn 2D, it provides much more info than Downscan. DS is nice to verify something is actually a tree or such but for dropshotting/spooning etc, 2D especially with CHIRP is the way to go.

NoCAL
Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman »

I've been researching the 7 inch models.
The one thing I seem to have trouble figuring out from the specs is the transducer. Some of them come with them, but it appears that some of them don't. Or they come with one type of transducer but to get the full value of the unit you need to buy a different one.

Does the Elite 7Ti come with a transducer?
Thanks,
- Wolfeman
"Don't take life too seriously. You're not getting out alive." Bugs Bunny
NoCAL

Post by NoCAL »

Elite Ti comes with the TotalScan transducer that will do 2D (CHIRP)/Downscan/Sidescan all from one transducer.

NoCAL