Nearly a PB Smallmouth

ttb31183

Nearly a PB Smallmouth

Post by ttb31183 »

I just wrapped up my tournament season this past weekend on Long Lake near Spokane. I finished about a pound out of the money with 10.5lbs. It was much tougher fishing that I expected and only took 14lbs to win. Earlier in the week I went out one day in the pouring rain and found some big fish, including a near PB for me.

My best smallmouth ever is 6lbs 3oz, caught on the same lake this time last year. The one I caught last week was 6.17lbs. Different scales that weighed in different formats. Had to do the calculations and it was almost identical to my PB, 6.17 vs. 6.1875 when converted. So close, but happy to have it!

Both of these fish were caught on swimbaits with a jighead and also on the same exact rod, reel, line and jighead. Even the color was the same. A 5.8" Keitech in Gold Flash Bluegill on a 3/4 oz head fished on 15lb Seaguar Tatsu.

Here is a pic of the near PB.

I also found some other solid fish including a 4.65lb fish that was so fat it would have been a 3.5lb fish any other time of year. One largemouth I caught was 13-14 inches and weighed 2.11lbs. They are definitely feeding up for the winter.

The key has been to find places close to the river channel. The lake is really a river system and part of the Spokane River and finding the channel is easy with the help of a Navionics card.

Tyler Brinks
mark poulson

Re: Nearly a PB Smallmouth

Post by mark poulson »

Good for you!
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY