Braid to Fluoro Knots - A Test

ttb31183

Braid to Fluoro Knots - A Test

Post by ttb31183 »

I had a comment on one of my YouTube videos about braid to fluoro knots. It was a video on the Seaguar Finesse Fluorocarbon and what knot to use. I decided to do a very un-scientific test of the two knots I use to combine braid to fluoro: the modified albright and double uni.

I used 20lb Smackdown brand and the 6.2lb Finesse Fluorocarbon and tied both. You can see the Modified Albright is a longer, thinner knot. It is actually what I switched to for most of my fishing after using the double-uni for years. The double-uni never failed me when it came to losing fish, but at times it would break at the knot when I was hung up. Haven't had that with the Modified Albright.

My informal test was to grab both ends about 12 inches apart with pliers in each hand and pull. The Double-Uni broke at the knot and the Modified Albright broke the fluorocarbon. Could have been just how I tied it or any number of variables but it confirmed my on the water tests.

What knot are you using to join the two lines?
Last edited by ttb31183 on Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tyler Brinks
Rod Martin

Re: Braid to Fluro Knots - A Test

Post by Rod Martin »

I used both of yours but have changed to the Alberto knot. Seems to work for me

TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
CATCHEMCARO

Re: Braid to Fluro Knots - A Test

Post by CATCHEMCARO »

Alberto is the one for me.
WWW.SCBBBC.COM
http://catchemcarobaits.com/index.html
185vsfrog

Re: Braid to Fluoro Knots - A Test

Post by 185vsfrog »

Modified Albright for me. And I use aluminum rings to cinch the knot.
Chad Sweitzer

Post by Chad Sweitzer »

Modified Albright for me too, unless I'm throwing 65 braid to a 30 pound leader. Then I think I do a Uni knot. The tag end of a Albright can cut up your thumb pretty bad on the cast.
PB: Spot-9.625 (Shasta Record) LMB-13.27 SM-4.36
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

What knot would you use on stiffer floro such as 20lb floro to 65lb braid?

Ive had horrible luck with those sizes....
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
THE DR

Post by THE DR »

I only use the Modified Albright. 8-12 turns up and down. I primarily chase stripers and run 40-65 braid to short 3ft 20-30lb flouro leaders. I've landed many 20-30lb class stripers and have yet to have a leader knot fail on me.
185vsfrog

Post by 185vsfrog »

I use the same knot even For heavy braid and floro. Two wraps down and eight back and through the hole. I use aluminum rings to slowly cinch. I can get the knot super tight and small. As long as you cinch the two main lines before cutting tag ends, you won't have slippage issues. It takes practice and testing each knot but well worth it for tournament situations where you don't ever want knot failure.
briansII

Post by briansII »

When I'm on the water, and need to retie leader to braid, I use the Alberto Knot. When I'm at home, I use the FG Knot. It's a slimmer, and stronger knot, but a little tougher to tie.

briansII
green_monster

Post by green_monster »

I've used the uni-to-uni for almost 10 years, but the last couple switched to the Alberto knot. After seeing this conversation I went back and watched videos on both the Alberto and Modified Albright knot. They look identical except for the final direction that you pass the tag line through. Anyone understand the differences that I may be missing?
"Work is for people who don't know how to fish!" unknown

http://www.folsombassteam.com