Spinning set ups for all bass fishing methods?

shimanoangler

Spinning set ups for all bass fishing methods?

Post by shimanoangler »

With the advancement in line technology (zero memory, thinner diameter, greater strength) and the advancement in gearing on spinning reels (higher retrieve rates and better drag systems), is there really a need to fish both spinning and bait casting applications or why one would choose bait casting over spinning?   You can get rods with the appropriate backbone and/or sensitivity paired with the right line in terms of breaking point and abrasion resistance, that makes spinning gear capable of handling any and all bass fishing applications.  I fish swim baits, jigs, tubes, senkos, crankbaits, spinnerbaits and top water.  I have always fished spinning gear, and although I am an admitted newbie in terms of years of experience, I wonder if I am missing something, other than spending more money than I already do, by not fishing bait casting set-ups for smallmouth bass in the northeast?  
Mark-C

Re: Spinning set ups for all bass fishing methods?

Post by Mark-C »

Its all about controlling distance on the cast with your thumb so you can hit targets dead on.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

There's a need for both casting and spinning. I couldn't imagine throwing a swimbait, A-Rig, heavy jig, Spinnerbait, and so on with spinning. Also there are not near the actions and lengths of rods in spinning compared to casting. We do make 4 and 5 power spinning rods but most companies do not. There's some things that fish better on spinning and some better on casting.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

You can get so many more casts in with a baitcaster and with a spinning setup, no matter how good you are with a spinning reel. The mechanics are just more difficult and time consuming.
For moving baits and fishing fast, to me, it is the obvious choice.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
AnglersPursuit

Post by AnglersPursuit »

Great question. When a rod starts out as a blank it has no idea if it will be spinning or casting and any rod offered as a casting could have very well been built as a spinning rod. Obviously never minding practicality, like a 8ft broomstick not being the best option for a spinning rod. However, there are spinning rods made for big water applications like jigging reefs and surf casters throwing 3-6oz weights so in essence, yes you could use a spinning setup for just about anything.

Mark made a good point. With your thumb on the spool it is much easier to stop your cast at the desired distance. I've tried flipping on spinning gear and it immediately presented itself as a tactic better suited for casting gear. As someone who fishes smallmouth, with the baits you mentioned I can see why you've been able to exclude casting equipment.

Only other point I would add is that when you get into the spinning reels that can handle the bigger baits your usually talking about big reels and if not, your paying a pretty penny for them. Throwing a 4500+ size spinning reel vs a compact baitcaster for instance.