Nitro vs...?

LV Ba$$

Nitro vs...?

Post by LV Ba$$ »

Hi Western Bass Anglers:

I've come to an impasse. New Nitro, or wait until I can afford my dream Ranger (NEW, ONLY). I'm not interested in a used boat, so that leaves me with this to ponder:

1) Should I pull the trigger on a new Nitro, knowing awhile back, they had issues (all of which I stood witness to, firsthand).

and,

2) Do Nitro Boats still have more issues than the 'low' price is worth?

Thoughts are welcome, here or via PM. Thank you!

-David Zachgo
Goin'Ike

Re: Nitro vs...?

Post by Goin'Ike »

You should be satisfied with the Nitro. My younger brother bought a 2 years old Nitro and close cousin pickup a brand new Nitro. It has everything. Very nice boat. I almost pickup 1 too but I end up buying what I always wanted...a Ranger. 8) but again I would have as happy if I have got a Nitro
Mike

Post by Mike »

I'd wait... because when you have that Nitro for a year or two and you want to upgrade, you will only get about 1/2 of what you paid for it. A Ranger will hold about 80% of its value.
OG on WB since 1993
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

I think Mike nailed it here. I'm a Ranger guy and I'm nosy but I like to help too. If you find time call me tomorrow at Dobyns Rods shop 530-671-1989. I have a couple of possible ideas for you. I help a lot of guys get into Rangers.

If I'm on the phone tell whoever answers it that I asked you to call me. If I can't shake loose I'll call you within 30 min. THX!!
J. Walker

Post by J. Walker »

Take Gary up on his offer. I bought a 2011 z521 this summer and it turns out it was his old boat and he was very honest and helpful as always. The boat has been great so far.
Larry Hemphill

Think of resale!!

Post by Larry Hemphill »

Something else to consider! If this is not going to be your last boat, it is always wise to think of the resale value. If someone can't afford a new Ranger, but that is their dream rig, they will be looking for a used one in their price range. They hold their value like no other boat. I have sold 8 or 9 Rangers in my career. usually within 1 or 2 days. I only keep them for 3 years. Wayne put an add on wb.com for my last Ranger 520 and I had a deposit in my hand in about 4 1/2 hours after the ad ran. The buyer was 50 to 60 miles from my house. I had about 20 responses in 24 hrs. I think guys know that I'm not a tournament guy and do run my Evinrudes at different speeds other than idle and 70 mph - LOL!!
kraetzer

Post by kraetzer »

Nitro has some great boats (mine included :D ) but if your dream rig is a Ranger you will always compare the nitro in your head to your perfect boat and you won't be happy with it, no matter what - just my opinion.
If you just want to buy one boat and that's it, wait for the Ranger. If you buy another boat in a couple of years, go ahead and enjoy a nitro in the meantime.
kraetzer

"I am ready to face any challenge that might be foolish enough to face me" - Dwight K. Schrute
LV Ba$$

Post by LV Ba$$ »

Thanks very much for the solid responses, everyone!

Mr. Dobyns -- I'll give you a call this afternoon.

-David Zachgo
basshol

Post by basshol »

I have a nitro 20ft. No complaints at all will handle any large water with no problem. You say Ranger for resale.A new Ranger will cost yout 30 thousand more.when the boat is 10 years old it won't be worth 30 grand more than the Nitro.The nitro is wider. But like someone said if your looking at a Ranger and buy a nitro you will still compare it to a Ranger.Love my Nitro .Personal you will probably be happy with either one it's all about preference.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Many people think a Ranger is $20,000 to $30,000 more than competing brands. This simply is not the case. A stock Nitro is $55,495 with a 250 Hp. You'll still have freight and options to add. If you load it up with same equipment as most Ranger owners, the price is getting up there.

If you take other brands like a Triton, Bass Cat, or Skeeter and rig with all the same equipment they are damn close in price and in-fact I've seen them plenty higher many times. People want to compare a FULLY LOADED RANGER to stripped other brand. You can buy a Ranger Z520 with Lowrance 9 and 12, 250 Hp engine, with Power Poles and goodies for $69,999. Ranger Z520 is 20'9". Price out the other 20 foot plus brands with same equipment and you'll be shocked at the results....and still not have a Ranger!!!!

Am I biased? YES. I think Ranger builds the BEST!! I've been around them for years and I've watched them being built at the factory with all the little things that make them better. Are other brands still great boats. Yes they are. But, I think Ranger builds the best bass boat on the water, at least in today's world.
JoeLanghans

Post by JoeLanghans »

What's up David. A couple of these guys get a Ranger to use and market out of virtually for free, then they have to sell it before the next free boat comes, they are very biased to Ranger. Rangers run close to $20K more than Nitro and $10K more than BassCat, around $5K more than all others. Call Rick at Anglers Marine down in Anaheim. He has a new 2017 Nitro Z20 with a 250 ProXS for $51K. You don't need to pay thousands of dollars for the giant screens and crap! Buy power poles later on if you feel you need them for bed fishing. Also, check out Triton. Just like the Rangers but with less flash. Rangers are awesome boats, but don't wait years when there are opportunities to get what you want for a lot less money. Rick will hook you up, he has all three brands mentioned and will give you the best deals. http://www.anglersmarine.com/m_results.asp?newused=N
toddmc

Post by toddmc »

Gary is right in that there isn't that much difference once you option any boat. The hulls of most brands have gotten better and most brands are respectable today. But, the Rangers will have a little better resale because they are still the Cadillac of boats. I can never stand when I don't buy the best that I can afford because I take great pride of ownership in what I own. My boats are immaculate.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

JoeLanghans wrote:What's up David. A couple of these guys get a Ranger to use and market out of virtually for free, then they have to sell it before the next free boat comes, they are very biased to Ranger. Rangers run close to $20K more than Nitro and $10K more than BassCat, around $5K more than all others. Call Rick at Anglers Marine down in Anaheim. He has a new 2017 Nitro Z20 with a 250 ProXS for $51K. You don't need to pay thousands of dollars for the giant screens and crap! Buy power poles later on if you feel you need them for bed fishing. Also, check out Triton. Just like the Rangers but with less flash. Rangers are awesome boats, but don't wait years when there are opportunities to get what you want for a lot less money. Rick will hook you up, he has all three brands mentioned and will give you the best deals. http://www.anglersmarine.com/m_results.asp?newused=N
X2!!
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

I am not an owner of either one of these boats , Do Ranger's have better resale's ? Yes .
I would dig deeper , find out the actual difference in the manufacturing of the boats .
Example , Skeeter uses aluminum deck lids vs wood or fiberglass . How about bottom hull structures , are they made with different techniques for structural integrity .
Aside from adding "goodies" , Is the Ranger made so much better that there is $20K worth actual value in the manufacturing of the boat ----or are people paying a premium for the name , resale and Ranger giving these boats to so many pros ?
Boat companies in general are terrible at explaining what makes their boat better other than "mine goes faster " , or mine has a "better hole shot " .
I want a cost effective boat that last's a really long time , is fishable , reliable , and safe .
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Good post Robb. What are the differences. Ranger does a product knowledge tour every fall. But even if you show up at the factory they will give you a tour. I have been in 3 boat factories. I see all the things that Ranger does. You'll never strip screw holes out. Rarely will a hinge come loose, there's a lot of "meat" for the screws to hold in. They reinforce everything, completely foam filled making them basically solid. The wires are all ran in tubes. Look at carpet edges. There's a lot of extra stuff that Ranger does that others don't.

As far as "FREE" Rangers this simply is not the case. There are a few guys that get a "deal" on their boats. These deals are to help with promotions and selling product. There are 12 guys in the 7 western states with "delayed billing". FOUR of these are BASS Elite anglers not even fishing here. Most of the guys talking about Ranger Boats are simply satisfied customers. The guys with delayed billing are expected to help with promotions. They tow boats where needed, do demo rides, help at sport shows, help dealers with whatever they need and donate their time. So they are not free. In fact most lose $6000 to $8000 a year to run a delayed bill boat. You may be believe it but it's the 100% truth!!!! Most of these guys do it because they love it. I enjoy helping guys buy or sell boats. I have been offered "finders fees", X amount of money, and more. I have never taken a cent to help someone buy or sell a boat. The one thing it does for me, I don't advertise my own boat when I decide to buy a new one. Helping anglers with boats gives me buyers automatically. Yes, I buy my boats and do not get free ones.
toddmc

Post by toddmc »

mark poulson wrote:
JoeLanghans wrote:What's up David. A couple of these guys get a Ranger to use and market out of virtually for free, then they have to sell it before the next free boat comes, they are very biased to Ranger. Rangers run close to $20K more than Nitro and $10K more than BassCat, around $5K more than all others. Call Rick at Anglers Marine down in Anaheim. He has a new 2017 Nitro Z20 with a 250 ProXS for $51K. You don't need to pay thousands of dollars for the giant screens and crap! Buy power poles later on if you feel you need them for bed fishing. Also, check out Triton. Just like the Rangers but with less flash. Rangers are awesome boats, but don't wait years when there are opportunities to get what you want for a lot less money. Rick will hook you up, he has all three brands mentioned and will give you the best deals. http://www.anglersmarine.com/m_results.asp?newused=N
X2!!
It's not $20,000 more for a Ranger hull. You are just stretching the truth, or getting ripped off by the wrong dealer, if their price really is $20,000 more with all of the same options. Price all of the boats, as I did, and you will see that it isn't that much. Remember to take into account the trailer also. The Ranger trailers are going to be a lot more expensive than a stripped Nitro trailer. This is where a lot of the extra expense with a Ranger comes from.
I've seen bargain minded guys use other trailers with a Ranger. I don't know how easy that is to accomplish. I like trailers with all of the options. You will be surprised at how much they are worth. Make sure that your insurance covers the real value/expense to replace your trailer.
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

Gary ,
In no way was my post targeting your support of others regarding buying a boat or whether a Ranger boat was a "good " product . Your reputation is nothing but exceptional . I am sure you and most others that have owned a high quality boat , such as Ranger , are satisfied customers. I am sure I would be the same .
I am also certain , the "deal " that Ranger provides certain "pros" is so good , that they would never consider purchasing any other boat . At the same time , I am also positive that every boat and motor manufacturer has had it's problems .
I was only trying to say , "whats the real differences " on why one boat is MADE better or not . Not whether one boat is "stripped " down , or one brand is sold fully loaded . If a Ranger is truly " Made" better --- why ? Details . Facts , Specs etc...
After 30 years in tech/ silicon valley , I have an understanding on how one product is built better than another . Not just more features or less features , but how something is actually engineered and made better .
If Ranger is truly engineered and made better than any other boat -- Ranger should prove it , I would gladly buy it over another boat , especially if I plan on keeping it a long time .
Robb
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Robb,

I liked your question about the differences. It's a real question and there are differences. That's why I said "Good post". It might of come across wrong the way I wrote it, but I really meant "Good Post". I pointed out a few things and Toddmc pointed out a big one with trailers. Ranger puts a lot into their trailers and it's part of the boat package. I believe it's mandatory to buy their trailers with their boats. In old days it was not and I bought a trailer called a "Cook" and had nightmares with it. But it was about $2000 cheaper. It was a tough lesson.

There are other things like the touch pads that are expensive. A simple key switch works but the touch pad is better. Some companies won't use the good 3-way live well valves because they cost 3 times as much. Bigger live well pumps, 2 bilge pumps standard, 3 or 4 bank Pro chargers are standard, compression hatches are standard. Little things like these add up and make Ranger Boats what it is today.

I hear all the time that Ranger Boats cost $20,000 more than any other brand. But it's simply not true. Compare top of the line to top of the line and they're really close in most cases.

Now, Ranger has a new 185 that's rated for a 150 that's totally bad a$$. This boat is wide, stable, and runs awesome. I drove one at the dealer meeting and I was SUPER IMPRESSED with it. They have a package starting at $32,000. I could fish tournaments out of this boat no problem at all. It's a price point boat but it's a Ranger and this means it's built with little extras like other Rangers. If you haven't seen one and your in the market for a new boat, you really ought to give the new 185 a look and a ride.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Here's a few more little extras from Ranger:

Pulltrusion-solid fiberglass transoms
Solid Glass Chines
SRS-Soft ride seats
No wood in the boat period.
Fiberglass storage box lids
Fiberglass storage boxes throughout
Robotic water cut holes so no glass splinters, all smooth cuts. I remember seeing this right after it was installed. What a great piece of machinery and I'm sure it wasn't cheap but it sure puts out quality finish.

Forgive spelling errors please.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I have a Ranger, and I still can't catch fish, so, clearly, the boat is defective! :wink:
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

[quote="mark poulson"]I have a Ranger, and I still can't catch fish, so, clearly, the boat is defective! :wink:[/quote]

:) :) Must be the boat....surely it's not a rod problem :)
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

Gary ,
I appreciate you replies . Someday I will be in the market for a new boat and will certainly look at Rangers when that time comes , unfortunately , my fishing partner is my son and he moved down to Texas last year to pursue a career and chase bass . I don't get out as much as I would like to.
That 185 sounds nice , perfect for someone like me .
Tight lines ,
Robb
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

I've had 5 Rangers all USED boats in excellent condition and sold 4 with in no more than a week of the add and 3 to the first guy who came to look !! All boats were in immaculate condition and fair priced. Unless this will be your absolute very last boat, I'd never consider a new one ! Why take the hard depriiciation !! You can easily find a 2-5 yr old Ranger in excellent condition and maybe some warranty left or can get an extended warranty too !! You can even get a Pros "Memo" boat that you can order the color and some options on, ( You give him a deposit ) he uses it for a yr, then it goes back to Ranger, gets anything repaired or replaced that it needs, then you get it as new, save money, and have a FULL warranty !! Most boats are wrapped now, so the Gel-Kote is pristine and the Pros really don't care what color it is anymore !! Gary can help you find a Pro if you want to go that route. Good luck, and you will LOVE a Ranger !!
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
kmah

Post by kmah »

Robb R wrote:Gary ,
In no way was my post targeting your support of others regarding buying a boat or whether a Ranger boat was a "good " product . Your reputation is nothing but exceptional . I am sure you and most others that have owned a high quality boat , such as Ranger , are satisfied customers. I am sure I would be the same .
I am also certain , the "deal " that Ranger provides certain "pros" is so good , that they would never consider purchasing any other boat . At the same time , I am also positive that every boat and motor manufacturer has had it's problems .
I was only trying to say , "whats the real differences " on why one boat is MADE better or not . Not whether one boat is "stripped " down , or one brand is sold fully loaded . If a Ranger is truly " Made" better --- why ? Details . Facts , Specs etc...
After 30 years in tech/ silicon valley , I have an understanding on how one product is built better than another . Not just more features or less features , but how something is actually engineered and made better .
If Ranger is truly engineered and made better than any other boat -- Ranger should prove it , I would gladly buy it over another boat , especially if I plan on keeping it a long time .
Robb
Here are some things that add value/price to rangers that may or may not exists in other boats.

Either way some of the craftsmanship, parts, and "little" things do add up. I can't list them all but here are a few.

1) rangers stay in the molds upwards to 3 days, this helps with the rigidity, integrity, and strength of the hull and top caps. How this equates to a higher price tag is while your Ranger sits curing in a mold longer they can't build as many boats, while other manufacturers have shorter mold time they can begin building another boat.

2) as Gary eluded to, Ranger developed and patented what's called pultrusion. This material is used in the transom, floors, trolling motor mount area, and around all the high stress points, they place it where the shock arms fasten to your lids thus reducing the likelihood that this will break or get weak over time.

3) The hull is laid with various grades, thickness, both woven and directional fiberglass. There are reinforced strakes with fiberglass "rebard" that's is placed into the strakes while the boat is being assembled creating these parts to become "fused" togheter as one.

4) everything that Ranger uses they make/source in house. What that means is you get nearly lifetime parts, materials, etc from Ranger.

5) the trailers are made at the plant for each specific boat that's ordered, they used the highest grade materials and utilize a "C" channel shaped trailer so that there is no inside of the trailer, this allows Ranger to "armor guard" the entire trailer material. They don't use leaf springs, each wheel,is independently suspended which helps soften the ride when you are towing, custom matched fiberglass fenders.

6) the carpet, upholstery are of the highest grades. All the seat are hand built in the plant.

Again whether of not these things are "worth" it to an individual buyer or not is solely up to them, but trust me your not just paying for a name. It's has its name because it worked for it, cared for it, earned it, and continues to push the envelope.

I hope this helps anyone understand what goes into building these boats.
NoCAL

Post by NoCAL »

That new 185 looks awesome, just can't figure out why most all the manufactures are only putting max HP at 150 on their 18 footers. That boat is nearly 19' long. Surely it could handle at least a 175 and probably a 200. The old 188 was rated for 175 wasn't it? Is it to keep cost down?

NoCAL
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

The 185 is an impressive boat before you talk about pricing and then it's a real impressive boat. I agree with you on the rating. This boat could easily handle a larger engine. I also believe it's strictly a price point issue as well. I have drove this boat with another good sized guy :) and the performance was impressive. The boat was empty of tackle but had trolling motor and batteries in it. When I saw and drove it I knew it would be a homerun for Ranger and it's every bit of it. Availability is probably going to be the issue. My guess only on this last point.
Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman »

And all of the other boats want to compare themselves to Ranger.
And most of the time they want to compare their top-of-the-line, because none of them can compare model-for-model.
Next time you look at a Nitro go over to the passenger side and check out the rod ramp; it doesn't line up with the holes for the butt end of the roads. A minor thing for sure, but for me it's all about the details.
I am biased. I love my 97 Ranger R80.
- Wolfeman
"Don't take life too seriously. You're not getting out alive." Bugs Bunny
TonyM

Post by TonyM »

Ranger makes a damn nice boat. People compare others to Ranger because they're the most expensive of the mass produced boats. They benefit from strong marketing and the belief that if you pay more for something it must be better. I don't believe that's true. I also believe there are faster, better riding boats on the market that are also built very well. The phrase "you can't catch fish at 70 mph" was started by a guy in a Ranger.
callwakeup

Post by callwakeup »

[quote="Gary Dobyns"]The 185 is an impressive boat before you talk about pricing and then it's a real impressive boat. I agree with you on the rating. This boat could easily handle a larger engine."

just curious... i imagine that the boat and transom could handle a larger outboard- would, or has, anyone done that?
i have a 185dvs rated for a 175max... but im tempted to put a 200 on it.

thoughts?
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

[quote="callwakeup"][quote="Gary Dobyns"]The 185 is an impressive boat before you talk about pricing and then it's a real impressive boat. I agree with you on the rating. This boat could easily handle a larger engine."

just curious... i imagine that the boat and transom could handle a larger outboard- would, or has, anyone done that?
i have a 185dvs rated for a 175max... but im tempted to put a 200 on it.

thoughts?[/quote]

I believe the boat will handle it no problem. BUT, because of the BIA rated sticker you could have issues with insurance if you had a claim. Also, it would be illegal in tournament events. Another thing is most boat shops will not hang a higher HP engine than BIA sticker. Strictly for liability reasons in case anything ever happened to it. Back in 70' and 80's it was very common to over power boats. I did it myself with a 1984 Ranger. But today it's not a common practice and times have changed. I honestly would not overrate a boat today.
callwakeup

Post by callwakeup »

Thank you sir. Your wisdom is appreciated.
flipit

Post by flipit »

Ive owned Basscat, Nitro, and am now on my second Ranger. All are good boats and did the job for me. My Nitro was a stepping stone and worked great. The boat was fast but not he best ride. The contsruction if you check em out is not in the same class as a Basscat or a Ranger. The Basscat was an awesome rig and every time IM getting ready to buy a new boat I consider a Basscat. Fun to drive, well built, and fast. That said I keep buying Ranger. The resale is hands down the best. Second is the quality of build. Maybe the biggest thing is the fishing platform. Thats right, when Im sitting still fishing. Stable, does not rock as my partner mover around. Wide decks for lots of space to move around. As I get older I need the space because I tend to stumble from time to time. Another ting Ive noticed is that a Ranger 519 appears to fish bigger then a competitor's larger boat. Mean a 19 ft Ranger seems to match up to a 20ft boat. If you shop around you can find deals on new boats.
Personally I believe that most of the companys now days make a good boat. That said the whole package Ranger is tough to beat.

ps- I pay for my boats. No sponsor deals or anything else. I also sell my own boats and can tell you it is easy to sell a Ranger..
Fishing should be fun.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Flipit touched on some very key points.

Ranger boats are very stable fishing platforms. Even their smaller boats are stable. On the water we're on the trolling motor 95% of most days. A stable platform is very important to many anglers...what if you have a buddy in the back that likes to stand on the side and not in the center of the boat. In a Ranger it doesn't matter as he walks around in the back.

Ranger boats are BIG and WIDE. Again even their 185 has a giant front deck. Again 95% of day you're on trolling motor. Having that extra room is really nice.

Resale is beat to death here but it's very true. Ranger holds resale value.

Speed. Ranger get knocked on their speed but they run very well. They're bigger heavier boats than just about all competitors. If you're after speed and want all the other above mentioned benefits of a Ranger, simply pick one of their faster models. The 519 runs very well. The 520 and 521 is what I have the most experience with. The strength of the 521 Is your grandmother could drive it. It rides rough water extremely well and still runs 67-70 MPH. Just drop the hammer and grab the wheel. No chine or anything. Cooler temps and a little chop on the water and maybe they'll run a little better. The 520 is great running boat. You'll need to drive them a bit. They will chine walk at high speeds when trimmed out. I'll add I want a boat that wants to chine a little. It's up on the pad and running hard. I like it!!! Every year I take a couple of guys out with a new one that thinks somethings wrong with their boats. A few driving tips and showing the angler that in-fact there's nothing wrong with the setup and things are good. My 520 is not one of the speedier ones. It runs 72-73 MPH all the time. I regularly drive anglers "Chine problem" 520 boats that run 74-75+ MPH. Richard D. last 520 would run 77 all day. It was a special one. I know there's several brands that outrun these numbers. But for a boat to run into the 70's it takes good water. But again your on the trolling motor most of the time.

I believe a big stable fishing platform that has great resale and will run in the 70's, makes an ideal boat for a slightly older, slightly heavier bass fisherman like myself. I'll just admit it and save some of you wise guys the jab :) :)
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

All I can say is life is really short! Buy what you can afford and live your dreams ASAP!

Whether you fish out of a metal boat or a fancy new fiberglass one just get out and do it. I love my Ranger but remember a lot of great fisherman started off on the bank and in float tubes :) Richie Rich (Fat older dude who wishes he were as slim as GD :)
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
Rattle

Post by Rattle »

I've owned Ranger and currently own a Champion. Both great boats. I know you said no used boats but If it were me I would buy a used Champion or a used Ranger over a new Nitro. More bang for your buck.. There is a lot of good used boats out there. Just do your homework and have it gone through by a quality mechanic before you buy. My two cents worth..
drew

Post by drew »

There seems to be a little speculation on what you are really asking. Which Nitro are you interested in? If its a 20 or 21ft which would require a substantial investment I would go with the dream Ranger. Also are you financing most or part of the new boat. The cost difference might only be a few dollars/month.

I have fished as a co for a little while :wink: and have ridden in many different models. I have not been impressed with the Nitro's. They just don't seem to compare with the top brands. Mainly in durability, resale and handling. I would rather be unhappy about my payment then my boat.

LV Ba$$ wrote:Hi Western Bass Anglers:

I've come to an impasse. New Nitro, or wait until I can afford my dream Ranger (NEW, ONLY). I'm not interested in a used boat, so that leaves me with this to ponder:

1) Should I pull the trigger on a new Nitro, knowing awhile back, they had issues (all of which I stood witness to, firsthand).

and,

2) Do Nitro Boats still have more issues than the 'low' price is worth?

Thoughts are welcome, here or via PM. Thank you!

-David Zachgo
LV Ba$$

Post by LV Ba$$ »

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR WONDERFUL CONTRIBUTIONS TO THIS POST!

*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*

Hi "drew":

I was never really interested in the Nitro line; getting into one would of been an act of desperation/last resort, in needing a new tourney-ready boat. I currently fish out of a Bass Tracker in local team tournaments, but I feel I'd do even more damage [competitively], in a glass boat, not to mention my 40HP doesn't make the motor cut-off for events I'd like to fish.

I too, have rode in a BUNCH of different brand boats, 100% of the time, on Lakes Mead and Mohave...everyone re-read, Lakes Mead and Mohave. I've seen it all in the time I fished there, 10-12 footers (just get me back safely, type days), and have had to run in 8 footers with people in all scenarios (fun fishing/tournaments). I agree, I'm not impressed by Nitro's one bit. I've seen some horrific things happen with my own eyes, and it's not safe, when you need to max out on the performance side. Plain and simple.

Every single Ranger I've road in as a Co in the US Open, FLW, Anglers Choice Pro/Am's, Won Bass Pro Am's, I was happy it was a Ranger by the end of the day. The ride, the feel, the stability ALL were cherished on those days when Mead or Mohave would get angry. By far, my favorite model Ranger I've fished out of, is the R80 (98'-99'?). My partner and I would refer to it as the "lead sled". It is SOLID! This boat was 18 feet, powered with a 150 (now a 175 Pro XS), and we, as a team were never afraid to run from Calville to Overton on those nasty days. Having said that, I know what goes into a Ranger, and from experiencing the ride, quality and fishability, I wouldn't want anything less.

I brought this topic up since I am reaching the end of my patience with being handicapped against bigger/faster boats, and if I absolutely HAD to, I was hoping I could consider a Nitro, ONLY IF, if they changed their quality for the better! Obviously from the feedback (public and private), I can see nothing has changed.

Im happy this thread has stayed positive and fruitful -- Brands ARE a preference at the end of the day. That being said, I believe my preference is going to stay 100% on the Ranger Boats brand. Im currently in the process of shopping for a NEW Ranger, and I think I know the model I'll buy...Hopefully, someday REAL soon, I'll be waving to one of you on the water, from my dream boat!

Thank you all again, for the wonderful feedback!

-David Zachgo
drew

Post by drew »

I know your situation well. Went from the slowest to the fastest. Might be throttling back to a 520 though since winning the co-havasu event and need to do something with the cert. If not it might be a good option for you to buy a cert to get into a new ranger for less. FWIW I purchased my 21xhp used and it has been incredible.
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

drew wrote:I know your situation well. Went from the slowest to the fastest. Might be throttling back to a 520 though since winning the co-havasu event and need to do something with the cert. If not it might be a good option for you to buy a cert to get into a new ranger for less. FWIW I purchased my 21xhp used and it has been incredible.
Congrats on your win! If you turn your cert and your current boat in for trade, you should be able to get your dream boat for little more out-of-pocket than taxes & registration.
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
Jerred A Jennings

Post by Jerred A Jennings »

David
I would at least take a look at some used Rangers.
There are a few of us that run are boats 12-18 months and then get new ones.
The boats normally have anywhere from 60-120 hrs and are well taken care of and loaded with all the Fixins. Price is gonna be 55,000-64,000 and motor will still be under warranty.
If you need that new boat smell I totally understand.
Consider this I'm just the average Joe bass fisherman. Granted,I have been tournament fishing since 1991.
I have owned and taken a ride In all the top brands and most of the off brands. Once I landed In a Ranger I was home. I have been buying them ever since. I don't get paid to say that. I just want to see someone put there hard earned money In the right place. Next time your out fishing count how many Rangers you see compared to other brands. Cream rises to the top.
As far as ride I have a Z521 and I will tell you that the boat driver can make any brand boat ride rough.
If I want my boat to ride like a Cadalac I can do so.
Everyone on this post has touched on why to own a Ranger so no need to repeat what's been said.
Hope this helps.
Looking for a ride In a z521 let me know I'm 2 mins from a Delta Ramp. Jerred 209-609-0590