SPOTTED BASS/SMALLMOUTH BASS

MN

SPOTTED BASS/SMALLMOUTH BASS

Post by MN »

Was down at Nacimiento yesterday with my dad.We cought a couple of fish that i say were Smallmouth,he's 75 so i think his eye's are getting worse :D ,he said they were a cross between Spot's and Smallmouth.

I have heard of this but cant say i have ever seen one or if I did i did not notice.The definatly had the red eye's and those stripe's on the head but they did have a greenish brown color.Beleive me i know a spot but my question is do they cross breed and what is the way to tell if you do catch one.

Thank's
JR. Potter

Re: SPOTTED BASS/SMALLMOUTH BASS

Post by JR. Potter »

Yup..I got a couple out of Berryessa that looked to be a cross between a smallie and spot. There are actually some cool nick names given to these hybrids, one being Meanmouth Bass which I read in an online article.
Love2Fish

Post by Love2Fish »

While I was living in Missouri for a short time, they called the Meanmouths.
MN

Post by MN »

Thank's ive also heard them called Mule's becouse they wont reproduce.
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

Yes, Smallmouth and Spotted Bass do crossbreed in nature, but their offspring are indeed sterile [and hence, unable to further reproduce]. They are called "Meanmouth Bass".

I have seen them caught on Table Rock Lake in Missouri and also on Beaver Lake in Arkansas, so it does not suprise me that you have them occuring in California's waters, too.
Share fishing with someone