need help! best jig rod????

nightbite

need help! best jig rod????

Post by nightbite »

I'm looking to purchase a new jig stick and wanted some input??
i throw 3/8 to 5/8 jigs with trailer and wanted to purchase the best rod for dragging heavy cover
looking for sensitivity and power
my listed includes
loomis NRX
G. Loomis NRX Casting 7'5" Heavy 894C JWR
G. Loomis NRX Casting 7'5" XH 895C JWR
or the dobyns
Dobyns Extreme Cast Rod 7'4 MagHvy 745
Dobyns Extreme Cast Rod 7'6" Med Hvy Flip

I just got the Dobyns extreme 744 and it just seems to soft for the hook set??
been missing fish since i have been using this rod? and thought i need to step up a power???
also heard problems with the Loomis warranty since the switch???
and the balance of the loomis is off??
how do they compare?
I'm just looking for the sickest jig stick out there
any help or input would be greatly appreciated
george

Re: need help! best jig rod????

Post by george »

The Dobyns 745 is a great rod but you should not of had problems with the 744 with stiffness unless you are using it in a punching situation or flipping heavy vegetation.
I am thinking you might be using too light of line for the application; the 744 with 20lb fluorocarbon should stick everything and with braid you should almost never lose a fish.

I use both the 744 and the 745 as well as a Cal West Customs rod for jigs and don't use anything lighter then 20lb floro in open water and Power Pro 65lb braid on the delta or Clear Lake and anywhere I am fishing tulys and weeds.

George
nightbite

Post by nightbite »

i'm using 15 pound floro
Mike

Post by Mike »

Dobyns 784ML jig rod. Awesome rod for dragging jigs
OG on WB since 1993
nightbite

Post by nightbite »

from what i've heard the mike long is soft as well but is great for the c-rig???
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

The posts are all good. The DX 784C is a great jig rod for dragging jigs and C-Rigs. Many guys use it for an all around jig rod. I like a DX 744 or DX 745C it's better for "working" a jig over rock piles or ledges for me. If you are using 1/2oz or larger, the DX 745 is better choice.

Give us a yell at the shop 530-671-1989 We can help talk you into the right stick and really like doing it.
nightbite

Post by nightbite »

Thank Gary! Great customer service!
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Great call to give Dobyns a call and let them know what your style of fishing is and what your looking for in a jig rod. I personally throw my jigs on a Dobyns 735C - why? I like a stiff jig rod when dragging that has plenty of backbone I typically throw from 1/2oz to 1oz jigs. When going down in size to 3/8ths this rod will toss em out there but is a bit stiff to get the best feel on the lighter jigs. But this rod is a favorite of mine.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Ash you are not alone. Many guys throw jigs on 735C. Lots of power but really nice tip. Very popular in Texas Lakes because of so much wood. Thanks!!!
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Dragging heavy cover, meaning you are making a horizontal cast similar to a fishing a plastic worm in heavy cover? Trying to get rod hook sets when you cast further than 30-40' is difficult with jigs because you don't move much line by using the typical rod snap set. Longer and stronger rods may help a little, but can't solve the problem.
When your jig is cast out horizontal over 40' try keeping your rod tip down as much as possible, except working the jig up over stuff, and when you detect a strike, don't set with the rod until after you have cranked fast to load up line, then follow as the line tightens with a hard sweep set. I have used this technique for decades very successfully with casts over 100' using 6'10", 5 and 6 power jig rods. The trend today is longer rods and they help to make longer cast and control bass a little better but not necessarily hook setting with long cast.
Dobyn's 735 jig rod should be ideal for you and try the hook setting technique when making longer cast.
Tom
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

A heavy action rod with an extra fast tip should let you cast even 1/4oz jigs, and still get into the backbone of the rod quickly for a good hookset.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
jason_fizhing

Post by jason_fizhing »

St. Croix Mojo Bass Spinning Rod or Shimano Stimula 2-Piece Spin that top rated rods for bass fishing
185vsfrog

Post by 185vsfrog »

Dobyns extreme dx745c. That rod has the perfect tip for jigs and is good for pitching accurate casts. It also has plenty of backbone to handle solid hook sets.
Buddyrocks

Post by Buddyrocks »

Big Bear Bass rod 7'6" 3/4 Heavy. You can feel a shad fart near your line.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

just out fishing pads and brush with the Phenix UMBX-7'3"xh dragging worms and jigs thru and over pads and brush. Been working for me very well.
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
Chad Sweitzer

Post by Chad Sweitzer »

The Champ. Extreme 745 is absolutely without a doubt the best 1/2-3/4 oz jig rod. I had a 744 champ extreme, and it was awesome for the first 3 years, until I started missing fish. I simply wore the rod out, the day after I realized it was getting too flimsy, it shattered on a hookset. That's probably what happened to your rod.
2395.jpeg
PB: Spot-9.625 (Shasta Record) LMB-13.27 SM-4.36
Popper

Post by Popper »

I've use Gloomis GLX MBR844, NRX MBR853 and Dobyns Champion Extreme DX 744.

All are outstanding jig rods.

Ed