Respecting other anglers

CrankyOne

Respecting other anglers

Post by CrankyOne »

On a recent delta trip I was amazed by the total disregard of other fisherman towards each other. At multiple spots I was fishing a bank and had boats jump in front of me less than 30 Yds away and fish the same direction I was going. I also had a few guys jump in less than 30 Yds in front of me and fish towards me. What is wrong with people? No respect whatsoever. If you are in a tournament, speak up and I would move elsewhere no prob. There is just NO respect on the water these days. It's a selfish society and unfortunately it has become that way on the delta also. Anybody else seem to have this issue or is it just me?
Jboutfishn

Re: Respecting other anglers

Post by Jboutfishn »

We have two possible explanations. Either the folks are plain jerks or they just don't know any better.

I was on Shasta last week and I had two folks in a kayak paddle right between my boat and the shore line I was fishing. They did not acknowledge my presences and appeared to be totally unaware of my presence. :shock:
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

Nailed it. Your not alone, I had it happen at Berryessa and that place is huge.

No excuse.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
185vsfrog

Post by 185vsfrog »

Apparently you guys haven't fished Clearlake much. It's 1000 times worse there. I have a bunch of stories from up there but I won't bore you with them. The delta rudeness doesn't come close to Clearlake. I guess that's the way fishing is now with more boats than ever on the water and more tournements than ever on our local lakes and rivers. Kinda sad......
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

Happened to me on the Delta as well. Maybe they thought they found a bent pole pattern? Decided to pack up and went to other places when this happens..

Good luck!
Glenn Abuelhaj
birdman920

Post by birdman920 »

the non fishing boaters" just don't have a clue !.... so they don't bother me ! it's the fisherman that are the rude ones " what really gets me " is the idiots at the ramps ! that's just shear stupidity!.....
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

This is the new way that people act , it's worse on weekends and it's worse from tournament guys .
For me , I mention something to them initially , in a somewhat nice way , then I wait for how they respond , if they respond with a "negative " comment to encroaching on water I am fishing it is then game on and I let them have it .
If needed , we can meet at the boat ramp to discuss how their parents did a lousy job is properly raising them .
As an exception , if a tourney guy comes up and nicely asks if he can fish close to me or on a spot I am working , I am happy to give them the spot and I will even let them know how I am catching them at the time .
RESPECT goes a long way and lack of respect will get you slapped
roaddog

Post by roaddog »

I agree with Robb R 100%. It has happened to me in the past and I've let it go, but now, I say something. I'm mellow and respectful while I explain "etiquette" to whoever it is. If they don't seem to get it or intentionally ignore my respectful explanation, game on. I move directly in front of them and take the area back that I was fishing. I certainty don't want to get into an altercation with someone over a portion of water I'm fishing because some of these people legitimately just don't know. But for those who do know, or should know, game on!!!
Bassfishman

Post by Bassfishman »

I was fishing a gap in the tullies in Franks Tract one day. I caught a fish in the gap, was pulling the hook out of the fish's mouth standing on the bow of my boat. All of a sudden a boat comes charging through the gap. Not only was I fishing the gap but I was catching fish there too. As my grandfather, who taught me a lot about fishing, used to say "there are more horses asses than there are horses". It's a big Delta with a lot of fishy spots and a lot of fish to catch ... slow down when you pass a boat and spread out.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Well, I "usually" handle this by nonchalantly firing up the Big motor and just slide around the offender and resume fishing ! If he goes around me again, I politely treat him to another round. That usually makes them leave, however, there have been a few that are "Slow learners" (hey, I can do this all day if needed' lol) and receive a verbal lesson that fully explains the error of their ways !!
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
WRB

Post by WRB »

The simple truth is fisherman of all types have little respect for anyone they feel has trespassed onto or into their area on the water. We all mostly bass fish public lakes and everyone has the same rights to the entire lake. The problem is some anglers believe they have the right to fish wherever they want whenever they choose, including where you are already fishing, this hasn't changed during my lifetime. The problem gets exaggerated if you are fishing from an aluminum boat and look like a novice angler to the tournament or club bass angler who treat you like you are not there. I own and fish from both tournament bass boat and 14' aluminum boat, the treatment is night and day different, total disrespect most of the time fishing out of the 14' aluminum and occasional disrespect fishing out of the bass boat.
Good sportsmanship means treating everyone with respect.
Tom
bayscotter

Post by bayscotter »

So, I fish the Delta 3 times a month. Needless to say, I'll boat 3 miles to fish this "secret spot" at the perfect tide and every time someone is in my honey hole. Anyway I usually pull up 200 yards ahead of them shaking my head while they catch em. It's the dude who pulls in between us that had bad parenting
monte300

Post by monte300 »

My experiences have varied from good to bad etiquette on the Delta. I'm not a tournament fisherman. My favorite was years ago I pulled into a small cove on Franks Tract that was part of my "milk run". I normally caught 1-2 pound fish there. Early one morning I pulled up and there was a man in a boat sitting quietly in the back of the cove. He told me he was fishing a tournament, had just fished it and was letting it settle down for a few minutes before hammering it again. He asked very nicely if I would skip the spot and I pulled my trolling motor up and wished him well. Had the man been a jerk about it I would have fished it out of spite. A little honey goes a long way...........
clearlakeoutdoors

Post by clearlakeoutdoors »

Its getting worse . Never used to be a problem and for some reason there is no respect anymore and is mostly younger guys.I used to get furious.
If someone pulls in front of me on a bank im fishing i now just put trolling motor on high and cut back in front of them.If they say something then i will respond but I dont blow up anymore.
Dave
toddmc

Post by toddmc »

Douchebaggery is all around us. The "ouch" is appropriately placed in the middle because everyone is hurt by it. It's not just fishing. Look at the way young people protest today. As soon as they don't get their way, they think it's okay to break and steal. Look at roadrage. Today's society is all about "me".
As said earlier, our population isn't getting any smaller and our lakes aren't getting any bigger. Class seems to be a thing of the past. I try to teach it in my classroom, but it ain't easy when the bad behavior gets more airtime. We have let our media feed us a raw deal. It's time to change that.
It's just plain sad to see tournament fisherman continually fight over the same spot and not give anyone space. I understand money is on the line, but tournaments on small lakes seem to be more about the draw than the fishing.
The last night tournament that I fished on Diamond Valley Lake was depressing. I had a late draw. I showed up to the first school of fish that I had found in pre-fish only to find five boats on "my" spot (just kidding, I know it's not my spot). Words were already being exchanged. So, I headed to my second group of fish that I had found to find eight boats squabbling over it. Sadly, the first place finishing team was on "my" first spot and the second place team was on "my" second spot, but I was able to stay above the nonsense and find other fish while staying positive. At least I know how to find fish! :D
This is why fishing during the week is so precious to me.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

I started seriously bass fishing back in 1983 and in those days a decent percentage of bass fishermen were arrogant A-holes. Then by the mid nineties it seemed the number of bad guys dwindled significantly. It seems that nowadays the pendulum is swinging back the other direction and the majority of the rude guys are younger.
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

Todd ,
don't take this the wrong way , but California's educational system has failed us. We have generated a
bunch of bad kids raised by stupid parents --- it shouldn't be a surprise our country is in such disarray.
The single most important job an adult will ever do is create a child and raise it to be a responsible, respectful , honest , hard working member of society . In the old days , parents used to whoop a childs arse for disrespecting some one or not being responsible etc.... Today , parents give their kids smart phones , video games , cars , money etc... for doing nothing ---then wonder why they turn out to be completely worthless adults . Rinse and repeat , rinse and repeat .
Those " young " guys that encroach on others fishing area's are a direct result of bad parenting AND an educational system that has been hamstrung by government on how to treat " problem " kids . Zero consequences as a child result in disrespectful , irresponsible adults . California's educational system can not solve bad parenting , especially when the educational system can't enforce "true " and " hard" consequences .
I truly commend good , hard working teachers , they are the only way to make this country great again :)
Robb
Diesel Guy

Post by Diesel Guy »

Robb R. You said everything that needs to be said. Well done. The scary truth is that probably half of the people that are on here will agree but yet they are the same ones that are part of the problem but point fingers at everyone else. I see SO many people talk about "kids these days" but then one day you happen to be around theirs and they are total monsters. We also unfortunately live in a Liberal state where the wrong values and morals are taught.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Thank you Robb, I could not have said it better myself. Parents that spoil and/or tolerate bad behavior do so because it makes the parents feel better in the moment, most of them unaware that they are crippling their child in the long run. It's so much easier to be your child's friend than their parent.
Last edited by monte300 on Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
toddmc

Post by toddmc »

Robb R wrote:Todd ,
don't take this the wrong way , but California's educational system has failed us. We have generated a
bunch of bad kids raised by stupid parents --- it shouldn't be a surprise our country is in such disarray.
The single most important job an adult will ever do is create a child and raise it to be a responsible, respectful , honest , hard working member of society . In the old days , parents used to whoop a childs arse for disrespecting some one or not being responsible etc.... Today , parents give their kids smart phones , video games , cars , money etc... for doing nothing ---then wonder why they turn out to be completely worthless adults . Rinse and repeat , rinse and repeat .
Those " young " guys that encroach on others fishing area's are a direct result of bad parenting AND an educational system that has been hamstrung by government on how to treat " problem " kids . Zero consequences as a child result in disrespectful , irresponsible adults . California's educational system can not solve bad parenting , especially when the educational system can't enforce "true " and " hard" consequences .
I truly commend good , hard working teachers , they are the only way to make this country great again :)
Robb
You are very right in that bad parenting is where it all starts. I love to quote the beginning of the movie "Idiocracy" because we are there long before Mike Judge (creator of the movie and Beavis and Butthead) predicted. It's a stupid movie, but the beginning is a great social commentary.
I'm in my third decade of teaching and the breakdown of the American family is the problem that very few are willing to discuss. The worst part of my job is calling home. The parents say things like "I can't do anything with 'em, maybe you can." It's not a coincidence that an estimated 90% of our prisoners are from broken families, and also don't have a high school diploma.
Teachers are handcuffed by our liberal morons at the top that don't allow a responsible teacher, like myself, to make students responsible. Our latest push by upper level California administration is to not suspend students unless they have committed a capital crime. That sends a loud and clear message to our youth.
The good thing is, our youth are much more aware of each others rights and feelings. Unfortunately, the middle finger is how far too many express those feelings.
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

monte300 wrote:Thank you Robb, I could not have said it better myself. Parents that spoil and/or tolerate bad behavior do so because it makes the parents feel better in the moment, most of them unaware that they are crippling their child in the long run. It's so much easier to be your child's friend than their parent.

Monte ,
So true , spoiling kids creates entitlement . I have two kids , 27 year old boy and a 25 year old girl . Both are educated , hard working , respectful and responsible . People ask me , how did I raise my kids ---it's easy , NEVER spoil them with stuff , just spoil them with your love and your time to help support their growth . Make them earn every thing they get , even food and clothes . In the end , do you want your " adult " kids living in your house , eating your food , spending your money and complaining about not "getting " stuff for free .
monte300

Post by monte300 »

or worse yet raising your own grandchildren because their parents can't seem to do it themselves......
WRB

Post by WRB »

Amazing, look in the mirror that person looking back is the parent of those rude kids who feel entitled.
This isn't a new problem, unsportsmanlike behavior has been around as long as I have been on the water over 6 decades of bass fishing.
My experience over the past 30 years have been guides who believe they own the water because they are being paid by clients to catch bass. Today there are fewer guides where I fish and today's guides have learned to be polite do in part to the fact everyone has a smart phone that takes good photo's/video.
The sport needs young anglers and we were all young when we started. Most of you are parents, teach the kids to be good sportsmen.
Tom
Lugnut

Post by Lugnut »

I am pretty sure it happens on every body of water where fishing and recreation are allowed. I have stories like all the rest of you folks....best one is I am on Clearlake, flipping a dock that's suspended about 6-7' out of the water, and maybe 4' wide......boat comes flying in, comes off pad, and straight to the "other side"...long story short....they stated that the tournament director of the event they were fishing said if your on one side, the other side is fair game.....come on now, if your close enough for me to flip into to your trolling motor tray with my eyes closed, using my left hand, and standing on one leg...your TOO CLOSE!!! On the flip side, we have to practice what we preach. I can't count the times over the years that I have passed on a spot because I felt I would be to close, or cutting off another boat....even when there was plenty of room. I just refuse to be "that guy"
Don't ask about my username, all I need to say is check yours and check them often.

HomeBrew Tackle Co.
milehi

Post by milehi »

Guess I'm dense, but why do tourney guys have more right to the water than a non tourney guy chomping at the bit all week to get out an stick a few
Lugnut

Post by Lugnut »

milehi wrote:Guess I'm dense, but why do tourney guys have more right to the water than a non tourney guy chomping at the bit all week to get out an stick a few
Tournament fisherman do NOT have any more of a right then any other anglers...at least in my opinion.
Don't ask about my username, all I need to say is check yours and check them often.

HomeBrew Tackle Co.
CATCHEMCARO

Post by CATCHEMCARO »

It's a hard pill to swallow, but if someone pulls infront of me, I just mind my own and keep fishing towards them and politely kick my trolling motor on high and go around them. If they have a problem with me after they cut me off, well then they have a problem. Usually they don"t catch crap infront of me anyway. Karma...
WWW.SCBBBC.COM
http://catchemcarobaits.com/index.html
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Lugnut wrote:
milehi wrote:Guess I'm dense, but why do tourney guys have more right to the water than a non tourney guy chomping at the bit all week to get out an stick a few
Tournament fisherman do NOT have any more of a right then any other anglers...at least in my opinion.
I've found that, if a tournament angler just asks, most recreational anglers will let them have a spot. If they don't ask, and just go ahead and start fishing, I'll "remind" them that I was fishing there first. If they ignore me, I'll just fish up to their boat, so we can have a conversation about it. But those occasions are rare.
If a tournament boat pulls up to where I'm fun fishing, I'll ask them first if they want the spot. I know they paid big money to fish, so I don't want to get in their way.
The thing that I find happens a lot is tournament guys blasting past too close, instead of using the other side of the channel, or slowing down. I know they're in a hurry to get to their next spot, but, to me, that's really rude, and I try not to do that to anyone else when I'm motoring.
A little courtesy goes a long way.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

Duck hunting on public land is even worse. Guys will crowd each other without a thought and seem to forget that there are guns involved.

It's a social problem and plenty of the 30+ year olds are just as bad. Hell, try saying good morning to someone at the ramp or gas station and see what kind of response you get.... sad.

I have 0 aspirations to fish tournaments. I do compare my weights to the results posted as a personal gauge but that's it. Way too much BS and arrogance for my taste. I enjoy my time on the water and have no desire to add pressure to something I use as a stess release outlet. That said I'd gladly move for a tournament boat if I was asked politely.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

You think you don't get respect from other anglers You need to try Bowling in tournaments I bowl in 4 different clubs and ego's run very high in this sport the younger group as well as older groups one thing to learn is don't talk smack just show them on the lanes. That how I handle it. :D
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley