CA DELTA FISHING (Lost and Confused Begginers)

MaverykeH

CA DELTA FISHING (Lost and Confused Begginers)

Post by MaverykeH »

Hey everyone!

My buddy and I just recently started fishing the California Delta, very eager to learn what all this hype is about on an amazing waterway!
We normally launch out of either Orwood or Russos marina. We seem to be either only there on the worst days of fishing, or doing something wrong.
We are looking for some insight on specific locations around those marinas to fish and try because we are seriously struggling on this huge and maze-like system.

Any information and tips help a great deal, we really appreciate it!
Big Stick 74

Re: CA DELTA FISHING (Lost and Confused Begginers)

Post by Big Stick 74 »

If your launching out of Russo's, you have an awesome place to start right there in Franks Tract. One suggestion I would give you though, would be to hire a guide for the day. You will learn more in that one day than a bunch of trips on your own. Good Luck and good fishing!
MaverykeH

Post by MaverykeH »

Big Stick 74 wrote:If your launching out of Russo's, you have an awesome place to start right there in Franks Tract. One suggestion I would give you though, would be to hire a guide for the day. You will learn more in that one day than a bunch of trips on your own. Good Luck and good fishing!
Awesome thanks! Any suggestions on a good guide to teach us the ropes?
scott h

Post by scott h »

Pick an area and fish it through the tides and various weather conditions. I have been fishing it all my life and sometimes I spend a couple of years in a particular area and pick it apart with all types of techniques. A guide is a good way to go for an idea on the right now and as mentioned before Franks is a great place to start. This place is huge and it takes time to get to know it and be effective. Tight lines!
BUZZBAITS IN FEBRUARY!@#$%^&*(
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

Love fishing up there.
Some great in depth articles/videos already written/produced by guides Andy 'Cooch' Cuccia and Bobby Barrack. Google their name and 'Delta' together. YouTube too.
Check your private messages.
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
Kyle46N

Post by Kyle46N »

Read everything you can find specifically on tidal bass fishing. Of course, there is plenty of articles and videos from the Delta, but also read up on the Potomac river. Very similar fishery, minus the monsters that swim here in the Delta. The James river is another tidal fishery that has many similarities to the Delta. The movements of bass based on the tide is something that is difficult to grasp in real time, but eventually the light bulb will go off. I've never hired a guide, because I'm too stubborn, and like to figure out things on my own.....BUT, if I had not just came from fishing the Potomac river the past 4 years, I would have hired a guide for a day here on the Delta. It will speed up the learning process immensely. A guide can show you in one day exactly how the bass move with the tide. After that, you will be around fish, and just have to figure out how to get them to eat.
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

All of what they said....

If you want to get bit flip a weightless senko in the trough between the weeds and rocks on an outgoing tide. You may not get big fish this time of year but you will get bit which will give you an idea of the timing the use for a feed window.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
Joeshmo

Post by Joeshmo »

I need specific locations too, exact baits and colors would help too.
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

Joeshmo wrote:I need specific locations too, exact baits and colors would help too.
and you are?
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
Phil Burgess

Post by Phil Burgess »

TIME F%]¥IN TIME..... put it in.....!!!!! Dont be a MOOCH!!!!!
ILL RIDE TO HELL AND BACK WITH YOU BOYS!!!!!!!!!!
RJB

Post by RJB »

Joeshmo wrote:I need specific locations too, exact baits and colors would help too.
Seriously? Did you ask that question. Anyone can go catch a bass on the delta!! May not be huge but pretty darn easy. This time of year I would use the Helicopter Lure or the Flying Lure around Holland and you will be fine. Fish have been crushing it. Good Luck!
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

RJB wrote:
Seriously? Did you ask that question. Anyone can go catch a bass on the delta!! May not be huge but pretty darn easy. This time of year I would use the Helicopter Lure or the Flying Lure around Holland and you will be fine. Fish have been crushing it. Good Luck!
They're whackin' 'em on the Banjo Minnow...just make sure you use your Color C-Lector to choose the right color...Pilot Slough is HOT right now!!
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Freefall wrote:All of what they said....

If you want to get bit flip a weightless senko in the trough between the weeds and rocks on an outgoing tide. You may not get big fish this time of year but you will get bit which will give you an idea of the timing the use for a feed window.
This is great advice.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
basstrophy

Post by basstrophy »

GOOD LUCK! be positive and if you're not getting bites, change up.
Last edited by basstrophy on Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

The best advice I got when I started fishing the Delta 30 years ago was don't give up, keep trying. Over the course of time you will learn things and not even realizing you're learning. If you wanna get a few bites and get an occasional good fish, throw a lipless crankbait on rock banks and fish it really fast.
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

You'll become dazed and confused if you fish the areas that are treated for aquatic vegetation. Subscribe to the schedule notifications:

https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=28764

And fish the areas that are not treated.

Good luck!
Glenn Abuelhaj
DYOLLPSTER

Post by DYOLLPSTER »

Go somewhere like Mildred Island and dissect it. Fish inside and outside, shallow and deep till you find them. You can move out and fish it like a lake with drop shot or go shallow and flip. There's fish there. Senkos, spinnerbaits, cranks on the rip rap, rattle traps on weed edges. Just be patient. It's not a fast process.
ElGuapo

Post by ElGuapo »

MaverykeH wrote:
Big Stick 74 wrote:If your launching out of Russo's, you have an awesome place to start right there in Franks Tract. One suggestion I would give you though, would be to hire a guide for the day. You will learn more in that one day than a bunch of trips on your own. Good Luck and good fishing!
Awesome thanks! Any suggestions on a good guide to teach us the ropes?
Any of the following 3 would be good choices. Here's what I learned from each:

- Andy Cuccia: How to fish a jig and weightless worm on the Delta, winter to pre-spawn transition
- Randy Pringle: How to read the water, tides and fish positioning on the Delta
- Bobby Barrack: Jerkbaits & rattle traps, structure and cover