What line do you use for crankbaits?

fishfan

What line do you use for crankbaits?

Post by fishfan »

Just curious what line (I.e. Mono, floro?) for cranks. Also what lb test? You can be specific for square bills, mid divers, deep divers, and lipless.

Thanks
I now know why it is called fishing and not catching!
The Sweetest Rods Ever !!! DOBYNS RODS
Team LL
nivanov30

Re: What line do you use for crankbaits?

Post by nivanov30 »

50lb braid, no leader, for everything.
MT

Post by MT »

I throw a lot of medium divers both on the Delta and Clear Lake. I have a couple rods that I use 20lb braid with a copolymer leader like Yozuri hybrid or McCoy Mean Green. 10-15lb depending on conditions. I generally do this with rods that have a more moderate taper. This would also be my preferred setup for lipless. If I'm not using the braid I use a good copolymer in 10 or 12lb size. I always make sure to re-tie often as any line takes a beating with crankbaits.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

15lb Big game for all cranks and top water not in pads or grass. 15 or 20lb braid if I am expecting the fish to get into grass or pads. I have the same bait tied on 2 rods most of the time. One with braid and one with either mono or floro. I still think there are times where the floro out fishes braid
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
pewter

Post by pewter »

I use 30lb braid and a 7' floro leader connected with the Albright Special knot for everything. Very sensitive and no stretch but don't use more than a medium action rod.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

50 or 65 pound braid. I throw lipless crankbaits the majority of the time on long casts, so I can't tolerate line stretch. I also love the fact it has no memory. However, braid has it's negatives too like wrapping around rod tip, bunching up and knots appearing and getting in between split rings.
nivanov30

Post by nivanov30 »

Just an observation: it always amazes me how complicated we get with line choices: we care about stretch or no stretch, abrasion resistance for rocks, floats or sinks, visible or invisible... I went through this same phase in my fishing and how just carry one line: 50lb FX2 Sunline braid - for everything from a dropshot to frogging and punching.

Few notes on straight braid with no leader:
- Line visibility is an absolutely myth in bass fishing. Crystal clear water trout fly fishing - yes, it matters there. For bass fishing it is not. I have absolutely no difference in dropshotting w/6lb fluoro or 50lb braid - I just don't worry about braking on 1lb fish wrapped in tulles...
- Line management - braid is the best.
- Abrasion on rocks - no better or worse than fluorocarbon lines.
- Stretch - none (use proper rods and reel brake settings when required).
- Memory - none.
- Sinking - you lose may be a foot relatively to a fluorocarbon for deep diving crankbaits - on CA Delta this is not an issue.
- Strength - the best there is.
- Castability - probably the best with proper reel setting (high-end line guides on rod help eliminating guide knots).

My 2 cents.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I fish the CA Delta.
I use 17 lb. BPS Excel mono on all my cranks, jerkbaits, and topwaters.
It is plenty strong enough to turn fish, and to pull them from cover or grass if needed.
Because it floats, it doesn't get as bogged down in grass as fluoro.
It handles really well, with no wind knots and few backlashes.
And, although it does have stretch, it is stiff enough to set the hook on treble hook fish on a long cast.
I use a MedLite baitcasting rod for baits with smaller trebles, and a Med baitcaster for square bills and baits with bigger trebles, so I can get a good hookset.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Andy Lippert

Post by Andy Lippert »

Please everyone take this guy's advice, then I'll let you know what tournaments I am fishing so that you can fish the same tournaments, too! :D

THANK YOU!
nivanov30 wrote:Just an observation: it always amazes me how complicated we get with line choices: we care about stretch or no stretch, abrasion resistance for rocks, floats or sinks, visible or invisible... I went through this same phase in my fishing and how just carry one line: 50lb FX2 Sunline braid - for everything from a dropshot to frogging and punching.

- Line visibility is an absolutely myth in bass fishing. Crystal clear water trout fly fishing - yes, it matters there. For bass fishing it is not. I have absolutely no difference in dropshotting w/6lb fluoro or 50lb braid - I just don't worry about braking on 1lb fish wrapped in tulles...
- Memory - none.
- Sinking - you lose may be a foot relatively to a fluorocarbon for deep diving crankbaits - on CA Delta this is not an issue.
- Castability - probably the best with proper reel setting (high-end line guides on rod help eliminating guide knots).

My 2 cents.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Andy Lippert wrote:Please everyone take this guy's advice, then I'll let you know what tournaments I am fishing so that you can fish the same tournaments, too! :D

THANK YOU!
nivanov30 wrote:Just an observation: it always amazes me how complicated we get with line choices: we care about stretch or no stretch, abrasion resistance for rocks, floats or sinks, visible or invisible... I went through this same phase in my fishing and how just carry one line: 50lb FX2 Sunline braid - for everything from a dropshot to frogging and punching.

- Memory - none.

My 2 cents.
:shock: :lol: I never used braid till I fished the Delta. Then I moved to Florida and everyone said fish don't care about which line you throw. BUT I catch more behind , around and in front of the guys that don't switch to lighter braid and or floro when it is called for.

To each his own
nivanov30

Post by nivanov30 »

I'd be interested to know and learn on why you attribute your success to just a line choice rather than bait, presentation, retrieve, light, temps, weather, time of day and dozen or more other of factors that go into each fish caught?

In a professional tournament context - the line choice probably gives you that slight edge that across years of tournaments can be positively quantified. Good read on this and other long standing myths: https://www.amazon.com/Destroying-Bass- ... B00G10WDWQ
Andy Lippert

Post by Andy Lippert »

Ah yes, John Mark Warren--the modern day Tiger Woods of bass fishing. I equate your argument to someone saying that because you have a steering wheel, an engine, a gas pedal, doors and a seat belt, you don't need brakes. It seems like you've got it figured out far beyond what I ever will--good luck out there!
nivanov30 wrote:I'd be interested to know and learn on why you attribute your success to just a line choice rather than bait, presentation, retrieve, light, temps, weather, time of day and dozen or more other of factors that go into each fish caught?

In a professional tournament context - the line choice probably gives you that slight edge that across years of tournaments can be positively quantified. Good read on this and other long standing myths: https://www.amazon.com/Destroying-Bass- ... B00G10WDWQ
nivanov30

Post by nivanov30 »

Andy Lippert wrote:Ah yes, John Mark Warren--the modern day Tiger Woods of bass fishing. I equate your argument to someone saying that because you have a steering wheel, an engine, a gas pedal, doors and a seat belt, you don't need brakes. It seems like you've got it figured out far beyond what I ever will--good luck out there!
Oh, c'mon. All sarcasm aside - I'm really interested in factual reasons on why people believe that a particular line choice makes any significant difference on the body of water like CA Delta for bass fishing. Not gut sense or hearsay - but something factual and statistically significant. John Warren, by the way, tries to follow such statistical approach in his book and although I don't agree with everything he writes - he provide very illuminating data points.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Baits with treble hooks and large bodies give the fish something to use for leverage when they head shake and try to throw the hook. Using mono and a lighter action rod lets me keep pressure on the fish by keeping a bend in my rod at all times, so there's never enough slack to let them swing the bait free.
I used to use 10lb fluoro, but I got broken off too much in the tulles and the hydrilla. I know there are some very successful anglers who do use fluoro, and even braid, but I am not skilled enough to use those lines. Every time I try, I rip the hooks out of the fish.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

nivanov30 wrote:I'd be interested to know and learn on why you attribute your success to just a line choice rather than bait, presentation, retrieve, light, temps, weather, time of day and dozen or more other of factors that go into each fish caught?

Not sure who this remark was too. But I will answer. As I said in my post I have the same bait on the same rod, reel, weight, only difference is the line. Most of the time it is Braid and Floro switching from one to the other as the fish dictate. I don't care if its sight, feel , or the way the stiffness of the line changes things. There are times when one works better than the other. So I use both.
But not sure about you but all the other things you said, I take those into account too and it has allowed me to catch some very nice fish that I might not have caught otherwise.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Re: Flippin & pitching set up for CA DELTA?
by nivanov30 » Tue May 16, 2017 2:28 pm

On delta (which is where I spend 100% of my time) - I always use 50lb braid (FX2) for moving baits and 50lb braid + 12lb flouro leader for finesse baits. I only use straight fluoro for light squarebills and jerkbaits (to ensure designed running depth). Sort of best line management and strength...

I see your views have changed over time.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

nivanov30 wrote:
Andy Lippert wrote:Ah yes, John Mark Warren--the modern day Tiger Woods of bass fishing. I equate your argument to someone saying that because you have a steering wheel, an engine, a gas pedal, doors and a seat belt, you don't need brakes. It seems like you've got it figured out far beyond what I ever will--good luck out there!
Oh, c'mon. All sarcasm aside - I'm really interested in factual reasons on why people believe that a particular line choice makes any significant difference on the body of water like CA Delta for bass fishing. Not gut sense or hearsay - but something factual and statistically significant. John Warren, by the way, tries to follow such statistical approach in his book and although I don't agree with everything he writes - he provide very illuminating data points.
Even if you were able to write down AND remember every little thing that affected what you chose to use at that very time and spot, its hard to repeat what was going on. Most fishermen over time store fishing facts and they come back as a hunch a feeling something thats says stop and fish this spot. I can live with that and catch some big fish along the way :shock:

So, Have you. Caught some big fish along the way :?

PS if what you're saying is in the book I don't need to buy it. Too old and too set in my ways
Last edited by Rod Martin on Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nivanov30

Post by nivanov30 »

Rod Martin wrote:I see your views have changed over time.
Yes, like I said above I've switched to braid only earlier this year and can't see much of a difference. Anyways, this was discussed to the end. I just voiced mine, undoubtedly unconventional, opinion.
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

I've cranked on the D for years with straight 30lb braid with very good results.

On lakes I do use a floro leader.

All my cranking rods are glass or CB composite rods so they have the flex built in. It's what has proven consistent for me.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
monte300

Post by monte300 »

I think the real key to cranking with braided line is to use a softer rod, like a medium action so the hooks don't rip out so easily due to no line stretch.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

monte300 wrote:I think the real key to cranking with braided line is to use a softer rod, like a medium action so the hooks don't rip out so easily due to no line stretch.

I think you are correct. But I have rods that cost a pretty penny, reels are the same. So if I change something, would it be a high cost rod or a low cost line. Now if you're buying a new rod and are willing to waste the money if you don't like the change. Try the rod change
Lord knows I've tried just about every kind of rod , reel , line in my time and wasted enough money doing it.
On the good side, I tend to give away rather than sell old fishing rods and reels so they don't go to waste.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

I have high quality reels, low quality rods. Fish them until they break! I also horse fish over the side of the boat probably more than I should. :)