Ford Tow Vehicle Engines?

Steve L

Ford Tow Vehicle Engines?

Post by Steve L »

Looking to purchase a 2016-2017 Ford F-150 tow vehicle. They have too many engine options, but I've narrowed it down to the gas EcoBoost 2.7 or 3.5 Does anyone have any knowledge or experience? It seems like the 3.5 is the logical choice, but the 2.7 seems to be more plentiful and towing capacity is supposed to be 8000 lbs. I'd like to get some feedback from the Ford guys. I'm not interested in other auto makers, Ford is my choice. Thanks in advance
Steve
drew

Re: Ford Tow Vehicle Engines?

Post by drew »

I have a 14 with the 5l and my friend has the 3.5 ecoboost. The 5l is a 2wd with a 3.55 locker and the 3.5l is a 4wd with 3:73. The 3.5 ecoboost is the way to go. The 5l works good but really needs a lower rear gear, 3:73 or lower. I would not get the 2.7 ecoboost. I'm not a fan of different block and head material combinations especially when its running nearly 30psi of boost. Also I don't believe the 2.7 will be much better then the 5l. The only down side to the 3.5 ecoboost is cost. Ford has limited availability and it usually requires a higher trim package.
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

Just my opinion a bigger engine is better. I would strongly suggest a F250 with the tow haul option. I have a 2012 f250 and it has been a dream and I am not going through brake pads like I did with my F150. I tow a heavy sled Ranger Z21 and have been extremely happy with the F250. Folsom lake ford had the best deals and was one of the only dealers willing to meet the price I was willing to spend. RR
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Rich hamilton wrote:Just my opinion a bigger engine is better. I would strongly suggest a F250 with the tow haul option. I have a 2012 f250 and it has been a dream and I am not going through brake pads like I did with my F150. I tow a heavy sled Ranger Z21 and have been extremely happy with the F250. Folsom lake ford had the best deals and was one of the only dealers willing to meet the price I was willing to spend. RR
Good points!
A bigger truck/motor won't work as hard, and will last longer.
The first time you try and pull your boat up a wet ramp with an undersized truck, you'll kick yourself.
A bigger boat needs a heavier tow vehicle, to give it enough leverage to avoid fishtailing. I use a 2/1 ratio as a rule of thumb. Otherwise, your rig will walk the dog.
Turning your overdrive off when you brake, or when you're going down a long grade, lets the engine act as a brake, saving wear on your truck's brakes.
Whatever truck you get, be sure it has the tow package, which should include a reinforced hitch setup, and limited slip rear end (positraction).
Take the weight of your boat and trailer along with you when you're shopping, and tell your salesperson what you're looking for.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Andy Lippert

Post by Andy Lippert »

I tow with a Silverado with almost 200k miles, but borrowed my brother's 2016 f150 for a week earlier this year, with the 3.5l EB and that thing tows like a dream. I've towed with a dirtymax, denali diesel, f250 and Tundra, and that turbo'd f150 was probably the nicest tow vehicle I've ever driven. I'm not a Ford guy, and will likely never own one due to the horrid track record of issues, but IMO after towing with that truck, there's zero reason to go to diesel.

Donno about the 2.7l, but that 3.5l is like a dream.
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

Thanks Mark!

I have a F350 2004 BT cruiser 22 foot motorhome without the "Tow haul feature" and I will tell you I am always looking for it when going down hills from Tahoe ETC :) What a difference that tow haul feature makes. The motorhome is fairly small but after using the tow haul feature on my truck I really miss it on the motorhome! RR
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

I'd stay away from Ford altogether. I had a Ford and towing a bass boat blew a transmission and I had it replaced with a 3 year factory one from Ford and when that blew inside of 1 year, Ford refused to honor their warranty. Do your homework....

Good luck!
Glenn Abuelhaj
drew

Post by drew »

My F150 has a 11klbs tow capcity and the brakes on the newer F150's are huge. I really like the diesel trucks but they are expensive and do have a longer wheel base which reduces their maneuverability.
Steve L

Post by Steve L »

Thanks to all the comments. I will use this information during my search.
Louie

Post by Louie »

I have a 2013 F150 with the 5.0 and 3.73 rear end ratio. It does a good job towing flat ground and mountains. If you go with the eco get the 3.5 engine. A friend of mine has the 3.5 ecoboost and his mileage towing is lower than mine with the 5.0 towing. The smaller engine needs the turbos spinning to pull. Great motor but I chose to keep it simple and avoid twin turbos. Both engines are proven now and will be fine for you.
ripb8t

Post by ripb8t »

3.5 is a solid motor. I have a friend with the 2.7l does what he needs it for. Shoot me a pm if you'd like with any questions. Been with for for the last 22yrs as a tech.
Jboutfishn

Post by Jboutfishn »

Disclosure: I tow with a 15 year old Duramax 4WD short bed with the Allison transmission.

Consider looking at the the Ram HD. My Son pulls a huge ski boat with a 2017 Ram HD 4WD with the big Hemi engine and it is a beast. I have only driven it once and I was most impressed with how solid it feels. Son says it easily maintains legal speed + both directions on the Grape Vine while towing.

Just a thought......
Paul W

Post by Paul W »

Hey Steve,

I'm right with you--looking at a new F150 in the near future and have been researching trucks like crazy the last few months. As a disclaimer I will say I have not yet test driven any of the new F150's, but I'd think the 2.7 should be a fine choice for towing ANY bass boat. In fact, for me, the 2.7 and the 5.0 are the two engines I'll be looking at when the time comes to compare models. The 5.0 is mainly for the simplicity and the fact that I LOVE the way a V8 sounds with a good exhaust, but the power of that 2.7 seems downright awesome. Although the 2.7 is being upgraded for 2018, the outgoing engine doesn't differ much in power and seems like a total beast for towing with good horsepower and meaty torque down low in the rpm range....it's also damn fast! My sister's boyfriend drives a 2wd crew cab 2.7 and loves it. I think he said he averages about 18/23 or so just normal driving (he also tows a 21' bay boat with it). Out of all the posts and articles I've read and videos I've watched, I've gotta believe the 325hp and 375tq of the 2.7 is more than capable of yanking around a bass boat with ease.

Tight Lines,

Paul