Input On Rain Gear

Diesel Guy

Input On Rain Gear

Post by Diesel Guy »

Would like and appreciate some input guys. My 15 yr old Cabella's Guideware quit repelling water last yr and it's time to upgrade. With the price of rain gear being through the roof these days what are people's opinions on what's the best or near the best to buy? I get hot easy and want something that's not too heavy but 110% water proof. Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Big Stick 74

Re: Input On Rain Gear

Post by Big Stick 74 »

If you can afford it, HUK and SIMMS makes some awesome rainsuits, but are kinda pricey.
Skeeterman

Post by Skeeterman »

Hello Diesel Guy, I've been looking at rain gear myself and I have decided to go with the Onyx rain gear I heard nothing but good about them. So I checked them out and I went with the Terra set bibs and jacket both for $ 79.99 ea.not bad I don't think. Onyx have expensive and cheaper ones but the for price for the Terra is perfect for me. ONYX LIFE VESTS. COM
alesieur

Post by alesieur »

I know Simms is really expensive but by far the best rain suit I have ever owned and I have owned a few. From experience I can say that you get what you pay for. Most rain suits repel water great but it is fit and function that the low end suits lack. You get water running down your hands and under the cuff of the suit soaking your layers, or rain coming in from the neck area, poor fit, and just overall lack of quality. Simms is super light, can snug down in every opening and has kept me dry in some of the nastiest weather. They are one of my sponsors but only because I knew they were the best; I applied and went after them. Even if I wasn't I would still own the suit.
DannyMiller

Post by DannyMiller »

Diesel Guy wrote:Would like and appreciate some input guys. My 15 yr old Cabella's Guideware quit repelling water last yr and it's time to upgrade. With the price of rain gear being through the roof these days what are people's opinions on what's the best or near the best to buy? I get hot easy and want something that's not too heavy but 110% water proof. Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Had the Guideware like you for years. Finally it stopped repelling and I did the recommended repel wash. No good. Purchased the 100 MPH BPShops. Bad mistake. The velcro rubber sleeve straps break off and the zipper hood does not do a good job and can come unzipped if your not careful running. The Guideware will leak at the belly when sitting and that's my only complaint about it. Stay with the Guideware, and save the old suit for those frosty clear trips.
Danny
Kyle46N

Post by Kyle46N »

If you're not willing to drop the bigger bucks for high end stuff, check out Academy sports H2O express fishing parka and bib. I've had my set for 7 years now and it's not only kept me dry in numerous situations, they are extremely durable as I've used them as snow gear in the winter for the past 4 years. That includes football in the snow with my kids. Not a tear or malfunctioning zipper on them. The situations I've been in are some wet ones fishing out of a 16 ft Carolina skiff that takes on some serious spray action in remotely rough water. They also hold up great in steady rainfall...all day. They are 69.99 for each, jacket and bib. The ONLY issue would be your mention of getting hot too easy. These are not super thick, but they are not light either. For what it's worth, in wet but not cold weather, wearing shorts and a t-shirt under them, or jeans and a t-shirt has kept me cool. Long story short (too late for that...lol), as long as these are for sale a their price point, I will never buy any high end rain gear. Why? These have performed flawlessly.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/h2o-xpr ... id=3336020

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/h2o-xpr ... id=3336012
Colebass

Post by Colebass »

Full disclosure I am on Stormrusa prostaff, but I did so because the gear is awesome! This stuff will keep you dry and worm! Take a look at the website as there are several options to choose from. I have fished 100mph from bps, Simms and Columbia. This is my favorite!
Last edited by Colebass on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Cole
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Post by BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER »

Another vote for Cabelas Guidewear. My first set is over 15yrs old and doesnt repel water anymore but is otherwise in good shape. I still wear the bibs all the time just for wind and light moisture. The old parka was always a little on the heavy side and I tended to overheat a bit so I didnt wear it nearly as much as the bibs. My new set is much lighter weight and I like the jacket much better than the old one. It doesnt have elastic cuffs on the sleeves which lets a little water in while driving but it also breathes much better so its a worthwhile trade off to me. Hopefully it holds up as long
Stewy119fishes

Post by Stewy119fishes »

BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER wrote:Another vote for Cabelas Guidewear. My first set is over 15yrs old and doesnt repel water anymore but is otherwise in good shape. I still wear the bibs all the time just for wind and light moisture. The old parka was always a little on the heavy side and I tended to overheat a bit so I didnt wear it nearly as much as the bibs. My new set is much lighter weight and I like the jacket much better than the old one. It doesnt have elastic cuffs on the sleeves which lets a little water in while driving but it also breathes much better so its a worthwhile trade off to me. Hopefully it holds up as long
Which version did you get? I'm going back and forth between the xtreme and the advanced...
jeff bradshaw

Post by jeff bradshaw »

I would recommend Simms or Cabella's Guideware and of the two I use Simm's
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Post by BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER »

Stewy119fishes wrote:Which version did you get? I'm going back and forth between the xtreme and the advanced...
Pretty sure I have the Extreme with the angler jacket
FISH2WIN55

Post by FISH2WIN55 »

I second the Onyx. Great stuff and you can't beat it for the money.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Simms Challenger series...absolutely the best value in quality rain gear.....Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
ttb31183

Post by ttb31183 »

Living in Washington, I basically live in my raingear in the spring and fall when I'm fishing. I have Gill bibs and jacket and they are awesome. Warm, very dry and lots of pockets.
Tyler Brinks
THE DR

Post by THE DR »

SIMMS! ProDry is pricey, but super light and bone dry.

When buying any fishing gear, I go by the motto : "Buy it nice, or by it twice".

Don't skimp on equipment that will keep you dry and warm. Or, you may end up cold and wet and quitting early..
Keith Rakoncza

Post by Keith Rakoncza »

DannyMiller wrote:
Diesel Guy wrote:Would like and appreciate some input guys. My 15 yr old Cabella's Guideware quit repelling water last yr and it's time to upgrade. With the price of rain gear being through the roof these days what are people's opinions on what's the best or near the best to buy? I get hot easy and want something that's not too heavy but 110% water proof. Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Had the Guideware like you for years. Finally it stopped repelling and I did the recommended repel wash. No good. Purchased the 100 MPH BPShops. Bad mistake. The velcro rubber sleeve straps break off and the zipper hood does not do a good job and can come unzipped if your not careful running. The Guideware will leak at the belly when sitting and that's my only complaint about it. Stay with the Guideware, and save the old suit for those frosty clear trips.
Danny
I agree with Danny. I had BPS 100mph and it fell apart on me. My Guidewear has lasted me 10 year of hard use fishings. Thinking of getting a new pair but they just keep working and keep me dry.
Irokea

Post by Irokea »

This is seemingly an old thread, but I'll add my two cents.

I had a set of Frogg Toggs years ago that I kept in the boat for a light rainsuit incase a summer shower popped up. I was just as well off in shorts and a t-shirt, those things leaked like crazy. My rainsuit now is a Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier, and I love it. I went with it over the 100 MPH rainsuit because the front zipper on the 100 MPH suit didn't go far enough down to allow you to take a leak without having to take off the jacket and pull the bibs down. The Pro Qualifiers zipper goes down far enough to let you pee with the jacket and bibs on so that was the deciding factor. There is a guy in our club that has a pair of the H2O rain gear that Jrob mentioned and he said for the money he really liked it. My advice is if you decide against the H2O suit, spend the money and get good rain gear. It's a big investment but it's worth it.
There are many interesting videos on YouTube on this topic.Good Luck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4NGcFF-P_Y
Fishfreq

Post by Fishfreq »

DannyMiller wrote:
Diesel Guy wrote:15 yr old Cabella's Guideware quit repelling water last yr...
Danny
My heavier 18 yr old Cabela's Thinsulate Guidewear velcro hard plastic side crumbled apart last year, and thru a fortune of fate I was able to have only the one side of the velcro replaced by a client/seamstress via trade-out, and now it seals shut fantastic.

Oh and I use the recommended two-stage Repel Gore-Tex wash and pre-dryer treatment (that's the key), and water beads off it like a duck's back ;) !

Heavy rain gear? Yes. Effective? Yes. New rain gear on the way? Not anytime soon.
Fish ON!--------------<')))><

Fishfreq at gmail.com
YouTube: FishFreq, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb4mzl2QfT3AuE6aiUKA0Gw
https://www.instagram.com/fishfreq/
https://www.facebook.com/Fishfreq