Lake Mclure, Don Pedro and New Melones

Big Stick 74

Lake Mclure, Don Pedro and New Melones

Post by Big Stick 74 »

Going to Mclure, Pedro and Melones during the Xmas break for some fun fishing. Leaving on the 21st and staying until the 1st of Jan. Do not want anyone's secrets, just some basic info on each lake to get me started. Baits, conditions etc. haven't been to these lakes in awhile and cannot wait to fish them again. Thanks for any info in advance. PM me if so desired.
Whoopbass

Re: Lake Mclure, Don Pedro and New Melones

Post by Whoopbass »

I would try and find the shad and then toss Kietech's, drop shot, jigging spoon, shakey head, ned rig, umbrella rig, etc.
Out of those 3 lakes i've only been to Melones this year. I was there a couple weeks ago and only fished a few areas. The bigger fish were in areas where bait was present and the action wasn't all that hot but you will get fish. The shad were on the small side so try and match the hatch. The bass should be grouped up and feeding better after we get a decent storm.
Big Stick 74

Post by Big Stick 74 »

Thank you very much Whoopbass!! I appreciate the response! :D
BigBassDaddy1190

Post by BigBassDaddy1190 »

:D
Last edited by BigBassDaddy1190 on Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lodi bass

Post by Lodi bass »

Been fishing melones the last few weeks. Finding fish on main lake points in 20 to 40 feet of water, most fish have came on dropshot roboworm, very light pressure bite. Good luck !
Lugnut

Post by Lugnut »

Sounds like a fun trip, three great lakes.......I haven't been on Melones or McClure enough the last few months to help you out. I have been out to Pedro a few times over the last month and a half. The fishing this past weekend at Pedro was better then the last month and a half. Our bass club hosted our first event of the season, 40 anglers and only a couple blanks, and I am guessing 50%+ of the field had limits. It sounded like fish were caught on jigs, dropshot, texas rigged, spoons, and for me darterheads. I caught three limits, all but two fish came on a 1/8oz darterhead, rigged with a 4 1/2" Roboworm, in 25-30' of water. Water temp was 59 degrees, and somewhat clear....maybe 7-8' visibility. I haven't found the fish schooled up yet, but I am sure with the cooling water it will be soon. Hope it helps, good luck and stay safe out there.
Don't ask about my username, all I need to say is check yours and check them often.

HomeBrew Tackle Co.
Chad Sweitzer

Post by Chad Sweitzer »

Light line is a must! I've been throwing 4lb with lots of success. Very subtle bite, you just feel a little weight and it'll be a 3-4 lb spot. Spybaits worked really well too.
PB: Spot-9.625 (Shasta Record) LMB-13.27 SM-4.36
Big Stick 74

Post by Big Stick 74 »

Thank you to all who took the time to reply!! I really appreciate it. Should get us started on a relaxing and fun winter fishing trip! Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! :D