Help someone please tell me how to fix this

ncloutier136

Help someone please tell me how to fix this

Post by ncloutier136 »

So i bought a brand new 2016 z519 coming up on 2 years ive had it and my trolling motor is eating itself alive!
Attachments
20180105_105137.jpg
20180105_105133.jpg
Last edited by ncloutier136 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bass boy dave

Re: Help someone please tell me how to fix this

Post by Bass boy dave »

is that from heat? call minn kota tech support or e mail them the pics they will let you know what to do
Trolling Motor Doctor

Post by Trolling Motor Doctor »

Hi,
You have electrolysis. You are leaking positive voltage into the water. It could be coming from the trolling motor, transducer, outboard motor or any other metal piece exposed to the water. It can be difficult to diagnose. Start with a volt meter and ck for voltage on bare metal at the trolling motor, etc. Once you find the voltage leak it has to be traced back to the cause.
Nick
Trolling Motor Doctor
Trolling Motor Dr. sells, repairs and installs trolling motors, fishing sonars and accessories.
ncloutier136

Post by ncloutier136 »

Trolling Motor Doctor wrote:Hi,
You have electrolysis. You are leaking positive voltage into the water. It could be coming from the trolling motor, transducer, outboard motor or any other metal piece exposed to the water. It can be difficult to diagnose. Start with a volt meter and ck for voltage on bare metal at the trolling motor, etc. Once you find the voltage leak it has to be traced back to the cause.
Nick
Trolling Motor Doctor

Thats what i was thinking. Say i find where its coming from how do i fix. I do notice some on my outboard but most is on the trolling motor
Trolling Motor Doctor

Once you find the cause it is usually straight forward. A bad armature, bad wire insulation, etc. The hard part is finding the cause of the voltage leak. You can always call us. 800-944-9446
Nick
Trolling Motor Doctor
Trolling Motor Dr. sells, repairs and installs trolling motors, fishing sonars and accessories.
zdbm2004

Post by zdbm2004 »

Hey by chance do you have a Hydrowave? I’ve got some corrosion on my MK and was wondering if it’s the same.
zmyers
bassmonkey

Post by bassmonkey »

Your problem is most likely in the battery compartment. If your wiring is not hooked up exactly as it shows on the diagram on the rear lid, you will see the problem you are experiencing. If you are unsure, take it to or talk to Jeremy at C&C Marine in Citrus Heights.
ncloutier136

Post by ncloutier136 »

No hydrowave and everything in the battery compartment looks to be wired correctly exposed alot of wires and everything looks normal. Its just left me scratching my head as my boat eats itself
Trolling Motor Doctor

Give us a call, we will see what we can do 800-944-9446.

Nick
Trolling Motor Doctor
ncloutier136

Post by ncloutier136 »

Trolling Motor Doctor wrote:Give us a call, we will see what we can do 800-944-9446.

Nick
Trolling Motor Doctor

Will do thank you!
Bassmonkey1980

Post by Bassmonkey1980 »

Take it to boat country in escalon! no meth faced employees there, best boat service shop in cali hands down ask for greg thank me later. :lol:
Last edited by Bassmonkey1980 on Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yjjustforme

Post by yjjustforme »

Bassmonkey1980 wrote:1St off your transducer on your trolling motor is backwards i would love to now who installed it pm me,also call side winder marine in ceres ca he is the minnkota Machanic. But in all honesty u should call boat country in escalon ca.they are the best in the buisness no shady looking characters there good luck.

1st off yes it's installed "backwards" but with a 2d sonar it doesn't matter because it's still just a sonar cone instead of structure scan.
2nd it's installed "backwards" because it's put this way to save or protect the 2d sonar's cord cause it's sitting behind the transducer shield instead of in front of it, LOTS of guys including many pros run there's installed just like this.
And like trolling doc said it's electrolysis related cause of "positive" current running through the whole motor and out of it due to positive wires not being secured correctly
Jerred A Jennings

Post by Jerred A Jennings »

P.M. Me dealership please.
TNguyen

Post by TNguyen »

Check the wiring to your jumper switch if you have one on the boat. I had the same problem on my boat and that was the cause.