Please spend the time to read this on life jacket types

WB Staff

Please spend the time to read this on life jacket types

Post by WB Staff »

Tai Au shared this brief description of each type of life jacket, their intended use and the buoyancy they provide.

Please take the time to read it. Its a few minutes of your day, less than you would probably spend looking into a new rod or reel that you wanted to purchase.

We never know when the jacket we are wearing is the the thing that could save our life.

http://www.westernbass.com/article/whic ... -situation

EAch type is explained in the above link with their intended use, etc.
Attachments
life_jackets_different_types_which_one_is_for_your_situation.png
mark poulson

Re: Please spend the time to read this on life jacket types

Post by mark poulson »

"Type V (Inflatable)- In short, this is a manual/inflatable that must be worn to count. Once taken off, these don't count towards your required approved PFDs for each person in the boat. There are Mustangs and Onyx ones that are Type V. Please read the back of the label or description before purchase."

Remember you need to have a conventional PDF for each person in the boat in addition to your inflatables, or you must wear your inflatable all the time you're in the boat.I always have three conventional life vests in my driver's side locker, even though my non-boater and I wear inflatables while motoring. That way we can take the inflatables off when we stop to fish, without worrying about breaking the Coast Guard Rules.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
drew

Post by drew »

True for non-autoinflate PFD's? Also it appears there are some auto-inflates like the Onyx Impulse with a type II rating.
mark poulson wrote:"Type V (Inflatable)- In short, this is a manual/inflatable that must be worn to count. Once taken off, these don't count towards your required approved PFDs for each person in the boat. There are Mustangs and Onyx ones that are Type V. Please read the back of the label or description before purchase."

Remember you need to have a conventional PDF for each person in the boat in addition to your inflatables, or you must wear your inflatable all the time you're in the boat.I always have three conventional life vests in my driver's side locker, even though my non-boater and I wear inflatables while motoring. That way we can take the inflatables off when we stop to fish, without worrying about breaking the Coast Guard Rules.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I don't know. Try asking the Coast Guard. They are usually really helpful with questions.
I just worried that I'd get a ticket, and a DQ from a tournament, so I always have the three conventional vests in the boat. They don't take up much room, and, for me, it was better to be safe than sorry.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
drew

Post by drew »

I'm not concerned because I gave up on inflatables a long time ago.
mark poulson wrote:I don't know. Try asking the Coast Guard. They are usually really helpful with questions.
I just worried that I'd get a ticket, and a DQ from a tournament, so I always have the three conventional vests in the boat. They don't take up much room, and, for me, it was better to be safe than sorry.
Jerred A Jennings

Post by Jerred A Jennings »

If your wearing Inflatables you should have an additional Type III In your boat for every person In the boat.last I checked that was the law. I truly believe Inflatables are fine for safety.
But you have to make sure the charge Is not outdated and Is cared for properly. I know guys that wear them with an exspired charge. Not good.
If the weather Is rough I wear my type III. If the weather Is fair I wear Inflatable. I have Two Mustang Inflatables. I always store neat and make sure the charge does not need to be changed.
Jerred.
Jerred A Jennings

Post by Jerred A Jennings »

Jerred A Jennings wrote:If your wearing Inflatables you should have an additional Type I In your boat for every person In the boat.last I checked that was the law. I truly believe Inflatables are fine for safety.
But you have to make sure the charge Is not outdated and Is cared for properly. I know guys that wear them with an exspired charge. Not good.
If the weather Is rough I wear my type I. If the weather Is fair I wear Inflatable. I have Two Mustang Inflatables. I always store neat and make sure the charge does not need to be changed.
Jerred.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Many years ago I had the Sheriffs board my boat on the Delta to check things out. My partner and I had our licenses and all the fish in our livewell were of legal length. I have since started practicing catch and release and haven't filleted a fish in years. In addition they checked boat registration and even checked that the lifejackets were intended for lard butts like us. After nearly a half hour on my boat they gave me a $150 ticket for not having throwable type 4 flotation, aka a seat cushion. The law actually read that the seat cushion was supposed to have a 20 or 30 foot rope tied to it and it be on the deck of the boat while fishing at all times. I was told as long as I had a cushion with a rope onboard I was legal. I don't have to tell you guys how valuable storage is to a bass fisherman in his boat but if you don't have this setup on your boat, you may want to look into it. I'm sure that same ticket is at least $250 on today's standards.
drew

Post by drew »

So is a flag, whistle and type III PFD for every passenger. With that said even though I'm not a fan of the inflatables there are several that are true type II & III that are legal.

The type 4 throwable cushion with a rope might have saved Nik kayler. I have the components and will tie it up and have it available for the future.
monte300 wrote:Many years ago I had the Sheriffs board my boat on the Delta to check things out. My partner and I had our licenses and all the fish in our livewell were of legal length. I have since started practicing catch and release and haven't filleted a fish in years. In addition they checked boat registration and even checked that the lifejackets were intended for lard butts like us. After nearly a half hour on my boat they gave me a $150 ticket for not having throwable type 4 flotation, aka a seat cushion. The law actually read that the seat cushion was supposed to have a 20 or 30 foot rope tied to it and it be on the deck of the boat while fishing at all times. I was told as long as I had a cushion with a rope onboard I was legal. I don't have to tell you guys how valuable storage is to a bass fisherman in his boat but if you don't have this setup on your boat, you may want to look into it. I'm sure that same ticket is at least $250 on today's standards.