Lowrance or Hummingbird

nelbarr

Lowrance or Hummingbird

Post by nelbarr »

I currently have one Lowrance HDS5 Gen2 on the console but I need at least one more fish finder up at the bow. I am still learning the fish finders and I do not mind either of both fish finder brands but not sure what fish finder and what size to buy. Any suggestions would be helpful.
medfish

Re: Lowrance or Hummingbird

Post by medfish »

If your still learning stay with what you got. Just makes the most sense to me. Get another lowrance link the 2 and be on your way
WRB

Post by WRB »

Stay with the brand you have and network a second unit. I would use RAM mounts and put the 5" unit on the bow and add a minimum 7" size (HDS7) on the console. 5" screens are difficult use split screen mode using a map and sonar together when at the helm searching for structure/baitfish or bass.
You need a trolling motor mount for the bow TD for real time deep structure fishing.
The RAM mounts allow you to position the units where you want them and easily remove and/or attach the units.
I'am sure you will get advice form more knowledgible sonar users.
Tom
nelbarr

Post by nelbarr »

WRB wrote:Stay with the brand you have and network a second unit. I would use RAM mounts and put the 5" unit on the bow and add a minimum 7" size (HDS7) on the console. 5" screens are difficult use split screen mode using a map and sonar together when at the helm searching for structure/baitfish or bass.
You need a trolling motor mount for the bow TD for real time deep structure fishing.
The RAM mounts allow you to position the units where you want them and easily remove and/or attach the units.
Tom

Thanks for both of the tips. I am currently looking at the Lowrance Hook 7 Sonar X Mid/High/Downscan and also the Lowrance Hook2 7 Series Sonar X GPS SplitShot HDI but I am not sure which version I need since I already have a transducer and cable connection on the trolling motor from the previous boat owner. I also found the RAM mounts they look nice but which version is better reccomended?
WRB

Post by WRB »

nelbarr wrote:
WRB wrote:Stay with the brand you have and network a second unit. I would use RAM mounts and put the 5" unit on the bow and add a minimum 7" size (HDS7) on the console. 5" screens are difficult use split screen mode using a map and sonar together when at the helm searching for structure/baitfish or bass.
Tom

Thanks for both of the tips. I am currently looking at the Lowrance Hook 7 Sonar X Mid/High/Downscan and also the Lowrance Hook2 7 Series Sonar X GPS SplitShot HDI but I am not sure which version I need since I already have a transducer and cable connection on the trolling motor from the previous boat owner. I also found the RAM mounts they look nice but which version is better reccomended?
RAM 111 mounts small rectangular plate is RAM-111B w/ 1.50 dia ball fits most Lowrance brackets, check the hole pattern on the RAM site. The round universal 1.50 dia ball mount and standard extension.
Do you have the same 2 TD's, trolling motor and stern? I am not familiar enough to advise you which hook unit to get, most bass fishing is done in less than 50' depth, meaning the 83 KHz TD is all you need. Split HD/color is a good option to seperate fish from cover.
Tom
ttb31183

Post by ttb31183 »

Both of them make great units and I agree with the advice of sticking with what you already have. Your Gen2 HDS will be very similar to just about any newer Lowrance unit and that will help you get the most out of it.
Tyler Brinks
nelbarr

Post by nelbarr »

Thank you everyone for all your helpful replies.
milehi

Post by milehi »

I agonized over putting a helix 5 or 7 on the bow, Went with the 5, big mistake for an old guy like me. Even with the ram mount just to hard to see
Marc

Post by Marc »

The new Hook2 units are great units, but since you already have an HDS unit on the console, and the transducer and power cable for another at the bow, I would suggest another HDS unit if you plan to network them together and use all the great HDS features like sharing transducers, engine data on your units, and much much more.

The Hook2 units do not have this capability, and are designed for those who don't need the advanced networking capability and therefor don't want to pay for it, yet still want side and downscan abilities along with great images. These are designed to be more "stand alone" units with powerful features, easy use, and value. The power cable and transducer on your bow would be changed if you go this route (not hard to do).

HDS units are better if you need networking capabilities and want to use advanced features.

Hope this helps.

ciao,
Marc
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.TransducerShieldandSaver.com