Basscat, triton or nitro?

drdetroit3

Basscat, triton or nitro?

Post by drdetroit3 »

Looking at a new nitro Z18 or 18 foot Triton or Basscat. Does anybody have any opinions on either I will be getting rid of an order ranger looking to save some money on the boat to get ultrex trolling motor , Talon and better fishfinders.
Also trying to decide between Mercury Pro 150 or Mercury 4 stroke, leaning 4 stroke any reviews?
Last edited by drdetroit3 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JoeLanghans

Re: Stratos vs nitro?

Post by JoeLanghans »

Neither
basshol

Post by basshol »

Had a strstos for 10 years.one of the fastest boats around.Will never have another one.They are the ruffest riding boats around . They are made for speed but not ruff water.i now have a nitro smoothest ride around.they are now made with one piece hulls.They have come along way from the old 882.
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

drdetroit3 wrote:Looking at a new nitro Z18 or 18 foot Stratos. Is there a stratus dealer here in Northern California? Does anybody have any opinions on either I will be getting rid of an order ranger looking to save some money on the boat to get OptiMaxx trolling motor Talon and fishfinders
Stratos Boats was bought out by Bass Pro Shops ..... and I believe their final model year was 2017. A new one could likely be found at a former dealer, BPS or Cabelas. Optimax is not a trolling motor. Nitro is a good boat..... but I would still look at a Ranger Z518 or a Ranger Z185 which is a 18'-8 glass starter boat.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Every time I look at a Stratos the layout reminds me of my Triton. Earl Bentz influence? I've also noticed the Stratos tends to be less expensive than the Triton. When I bought my 19 foot Triton back in year 2000 n considered the Nitro until I realized there was virtually no price difference between the two. I also noticed at the time that the 18' and shorter model Nitro's was where the real $ savings were. The clincher for me was the Triton was a much shorter package that fit in my garage. You may also want to compare the overall package length if you plan to garage your new boat.
Boatmasters

Post by Boatmasters »

drdetroit3 wrote:Looking at a new nitro Z18 or 18 foot Stratos. Is there a stratus dealer here in Northern California? Does anybody have any opinions on either I will be getting rid of an order ranger looking to save some money on the boat to get ultrex trolling motor Talon and better fishfinders
The Sabre FTD or Margay from BassCat are around the same length that you are looking for. Boatmasters currently has a Margay in stock that is available to see on Boatmasters.com. If you would like to talk more about a BassCats give Boatmasters a call and ask for Tanner.
Boatmasters
Livermore, Ca
925 443-5775
http://www.boatmasters.com
bustout

Post by bustout »

I've owned both. Good boats. I now own a Ranger. No comparison. Ranger #1` for a reason
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Like my old friend Mel Biggs used to say, "all boats are well built, some better than others".....

Personally if I were in the market for another bass boat, I would want Bass Cat
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Boatmasters wrote:
drdetroit3 wrote:Looking at a new nitro Z18 or 18 foot Stratos. Is there a stratus dealer here in Northern California? Does anybody have any opinions on either I will be getting rid of an order ranger looking to save some money on the boat to get ultrex trolling motor Talon and better fishfinders
The Sabre FTD or Margay from BassCat are around the same length that you are looking for. Boatmasters currently has a Margay in stock that is available to see on Boatmasters.com. If you would like to talk more about a BassCats give Boatmasters a call and ask for Tanner.

Yes if you would have thrown Basscat into the selection I would have to agree. Give it a look.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
drdetroit3

Post by drdetroit3 »

Thanks, I will give them a call, looks like nitro, triton or basscat now.
Big Stick 74

Re: Basscat, triton or nitro?

Post by Big Stick 74 »

If you decide Basscat through Boatmaster's, I think they are offering a total of 7 years on the Mercury motor also. I'm not sure of the details, but it would be worth looking into. Good luck on you new boat, whatever you end up getting! :D
TonyM

Post by TonyM »

Ive only owned one of the three you inquired about but Ive spent time in all three. For build quality, no comparison...Basscat all the way. Checkout the videos on their website of the build process, then go kick the tires and climb around em yourself.
Flipperhead4018

Post by Flipperhead4018 »

Your best bet is to go with a Basscat. If you have any questions on your boat you can call the parts dept and one of the staff will help answer any questions. For instance I did a recarpet on my Cat. I was at Home Depot and needed a few bolts that I couldn't remember the size. I called Basscat parts and a man named Allan told me the size bolts. They have the best customer service of any boat i have had.

It seems that many of the boat companies out there have been sold many times over the years, which means many of the people that built your boat are long gone. At basscat you can talk to someone that built your boat. I'm not a pro fisherman or sponsored by basscat. So you can be assured that I'm not trying to sell you some garbage. Good luck
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Bass Cat's are built like a tank and look bad ***. What's not to like? Even though I love my Triton, I'm not sure the price point for the Triton and Bass Cat are equal to Nitro? I'm a huge fan of Boatmasters, they have been servicing my boats for 25 years.

Last edited by monte300 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
DAN

Post by DAN »

monte300 wrote:Bass Cat's are built like a tank and look bad ***. What's not to like? .
Here's the Deal Been With Basscat since fall 2005, My Basscat anmd Mercury Combo has been through about anything you can imagine from the Big waters of Powell, Mead and the Columbia River and literally hundreds of Days on the CA Delta. She may look a bit like been through the ringer now but performance and Service from Basscat and Local Dealer Boatmasters is outstanding. You Won't Be disapointed! I can't Break It You Won't!
Dan Mathisen
dan_mathisen@att.net
209-612-5028

Ben Green Insurance
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

The materials and glass work of the Bass Cat will be superb. I'd get an XS Optimax over a mere 4 stroke any day as it's lighter, faster, and considered a superior motor. ( I've owned three Rangers, two Tritons, and three Bass Cats)
WRB

Re: Basscat, triton or nitron

Post by WRB »

I was dissipointed when Johnny Mooris bought Ranger, Legend and Triton, he already owns Nitro. Bass Cat was sold to Correct Craft it was another disappoint because they were good family business that made excellent bass boats.
Good luck with whatever you choose.
Tom
kb

Post by kb »

The Triton 189TRX with either motor the XS or the 4 stroke run pretty close to each other with the top speed going to the Pro XS by 1-2 mph. The 189 is 18' 8" and has a wide 94 inch beam. It comes with a 24V Minn Kota trolling motor and Lowrance X5 as the basic package but you can upgrade electronics.

The other option you have is the TRX18 this is the same basic boat with another layer of laminate and it is rated for a 200hp. This makes an affordable near 19' boat that runs right at 70 mph.

I would be happy to answer any questions on a Triton for you just toss me a pm here. Remember that Triton Gold also pays you to win with more qualified tournaments than any other boat company.

Kent Brown
Triton Boats
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140
Jeff Antenucci

Re: Basscat, triton or nitron

Post by Jeff Antenucci »

WRB wrote:I was dissipointed when Johnny Mooris bought Ranger, Legend and Triton, he already owns Nitro. Bass Cat was sold to Correct Craft it was another disappoint because they were good family business that made excellent bass boats.
Good luck with whatever you choose.
Tom
Two very different situations; comparing apples to oranges with that comparison. While Bass Cat is owned by Correct Craft, most day-to-day and operational decisions are still made by the Pierce family, as well as the same people that have been with Bass Cat for years. They are still a family business and they continue to make excellent boats. As mentioned previously, the customer service on their end is incredible; very easy to get ahold of and very willing to help with anything they can.

All of the boats you mentioned are good, albeit different boats, and each have different feels. You're best bet is to try to get into and ride in all of the one's you're interested in and see which one is best for you. I'd be more than willing to bet Boatmaster's will be able to set you up with a ride.
WRB

Post by WRB »

I am not the OP and not looking for a new boat, just stating a fact.
Having owned Skeeter, Ranger, Bass Cat and Triton bass boats I would rate them all good, Rangers having the best resale and Bass Cat a good solid ride, Skeeter was my fasted boat and Triton I rate at the bottom of that group and I currently own a Triton. They are good and agree that it's the buyers choice to make.
Tom
Last edited by WRB on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Albeit 16 years ago, I had good customer service from Triton. When the boat was 2 years old the seats started splitting at the seams for some reason. Triton replaced the seats with few questions asked.
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

Basscat
aaafffqqq

Post by aaafffqqq »

Interesting thread. I have been a loyal Ranger guy since the 80's. The one I run now was made when Forrest Wood owned the company. Now everything is different. Its a corporate world now the families that ran Champion, Ranger, and even Bass Cat are out. I have ridden in most of them over the years. I like to get in boat and look in places the manufacturer does not expect you to look. Today if I was buying new, it would be a Basscat without hesitation. They are an amazing quality boat with a one solid hand laid hull and bomb proof transom.

I am still a loyal Ranger guy but boat for boat you save $10 to 15K on the Bass Cat for a boat of equal quality. Unfortunately Ranger discontinued their more affordable R series.

As for the outboard, the PRO XS runs just as clean as the four stroke with less weight.

Good luck with your decision.
tfranceschi

Post by tfranceschi »

Its a corporate world now the families that ran Champion, Ranger, and even Bass Cat are out.
Sorry but you are mistaken. Rick Pierce still makes the decisions for Bass Cat. While Correct Craft bought Bass Cat Rick remains on to run day to day operations for Bass Cat. His influence is still there and will be for a long time to come.
Tony Franceschi
drdetroit3

Post by drdetroit3 »

Thanks for all the responses, going to look at BassCat this week!!
Scottr

Post by Scottr »

I purchased a new Triton 18 TRX in 2017 and have a lot of problems with this boat. I would not buy another. Go with Basscat or Ranger in my opinion.
Devon8604

Post by Devon8604 »

I'm also in the market for a new boat, this thread has really helped. My question is if you could change anything about Bass Cat Boats what would it be?
Louie

Post by Louie »

I personally like the layout of the Ranger over the Basscat layouts. My new 519 Ranger is a great boat.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

No doubt Ranger is a great boat. Can anyone help me understand when comparing apples how much less expensive Bass Cat is in comparison to Ranger?
Louie

Post by Louie »

Ranger shows prices online now when you build a boat on their web site. I am not sure about BassCat as you would have to call Boatmasters. When you compare equal models they are not that different generally. For Ranger the Comanche line adds a lot to the price over the standard boat.
SacRtrain

Post by SacRtrain »

I owned a Triton TR186 and now have a Basscat Pantera Classic. No comparison, Basscat is faster, rides better and fishes bigger. The build is also cleaner and I like the layout better. I think You pay for the ranger name. Not a big fan. Plus I've had to order parts from both and Basscat is absolutely amazing. They keep everything affordable and totally work with you. I had a trip to Clearlake planned and ordered a center console box before it. When I talked to the guy in parts, he said they build them on order so the wait was like 3 weeks. We talked a bit and I explained the upcoming trip. 2 days later, the console was at my door, no extra charge. I will never buy another brand. Also, Basscat stands behind their boats and have a transferable lifetime warranty on the build. Good luck
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

I have called basscat with a question and I thought i was going to talk to a trailer fender guy when Rick picked up the phone. Granted that was several years ago but you dont get that very often, unless your KB or Informative Fisherman. I have been happy with my BassCat and will be getting another one soon, hopefully through Boat Masters.

If you're looking for a 1997 Pantera Classic I have one going on the market 8)
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
monte300

Post by monte300 »

I've never bought a boat from them but 25 years of dealing with Boatmasters has taught me they are first rate folks over there. Remember the tiny place they had in Dublin before expanding in Livermore?
kb

Post by kb »

SacRTrain one of the reasons that Pantera Classic fishes bigger, rides better and is faster than the 189 Triton is it is bigger, has a 200 on it and should be faster..... I can appreciate all the love for the Bass Cat and they build a great product with a long history and a great family that I am fortunate enough to call friends but the original post was asking about 18ft boats with a 150..... Not 19's or 20's with a 200 or 225. And Ash I would hate to think that I am the only guy that can get a customer service person live on the phone.....not sure about that IF guy!!!!

Comparing Apples to Apples the Triton 189TRX and the Sabre the Triton is 18'8" with a 94" beam and the Sabre is a 18'1" with a 90" beam. The Sabre is 1215 pounds and carries 33 gallons of gas and the Triton 189 weighs 1690 pounds and carries 41 gallons of gas. There is a substantial weight difference that is going to make the Cat faster but the Triton's ride with the wider beam, extra length and weight will be better. Just make sure that your comparing boats in the same category..... good luck in your search for a new boat, buy one and get on the water.... new boats are fun and it's supposed to be fun!!!!

kb
monte300

Post by monte300 »

I gotta stop reading this thread I'm gettin new boat fever! :mrgreen:
SacRtrain

Post by SacRtrain »

KB, the TR 186 was only 5 inches shorter than my pantera. I believe the actual length was 18'8". It fished smaller because of the wasted space on the back deck, cockpit area and large consul. I'm also am a firm believer in the vacuum mold process Basscat uses. It's the same that Allison uses which makes perfect pads, every time. I'd put a cat with the same motor against almost any boat. Bullett and Alison make quick hulls. Again, after owning both, I think Basscat is a better boat.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

I looked at the TR186 when I purchased my TR19 that's actually 18'11". Maybe the TR19 with a 175 is a better comparison to the Pantera?
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

Pantera classics are rated for 150-200 HP. They are said run well with the 150 and 175 HP motors on them, and they rip with a 200HP.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

I have never ever known a guy that powered his bass boat with less than max HP rating be satisfied. My TR19 is rated for 175 and in year 2000 Mercury did not make a 175 Optimax, only 150 and 200+ This forced me to go with a 175 Evinrude Ficht. I had an extended warranty and had some problem(can't even remember what)that was covered under warranty and knock on wood have had zero issues with it the past 16 years. I'm lucky to have one of the smaller HP Ficht's as the 225's had some major problems. I'm very happy with my engine and would not hesitate to ever purchase an even better E-Tech.
kb

Post by kb »

That is great Monte and awesome that you have had good luck with your boat and motor. It is a little tough when a person asks about comparing boats that are available now if we throw out boats that are no longer made and 15-20 years old. The 19TRX is now 19'9" and is rated for a 225hp motor. There is a price point boat the TRX19 Patriot that comes with a 200 but it is the same size boat at 19'9". You need to bring that boat up to the Triton Owners Tournament at Clear Lake in October...
monte300

Post by monte300 »

kb wrote:That is great Monte and awesome that you have had good luck with your boat and motor. It is a little tough when a person asks about comparing boats that are available now if we throw out boats that are no longer made and 15-20 years old. The 19TRX is now 19'9" and is rated for a 225hp motor. There is a price point boat the TRX19 Patriot that comes with a 200 but it is the same size boat at 19'9". You need to bring that boat up to the Triton Owners Tournament at Clear Lake in October...
You make a good point about comparing older boats to newer boats, kb. The only reason I mentioned my TR19 is because someone brought up the Tr186. The whole time period brought back a flood of good memories, one of which was finally being able to afford a quality bass boat for the first time in my life. Back in year 2000 there weren't many Triton's on Nor-Cal waters yet and at that time the closest dealership was Galaxy Marine in Auburn. If memory serves me correctly, they also sold Bass Cat.