Minn Kota Ultrex

mrheuby

Minn Kota Ultrex

Post by mrheuby »

Thinking of picking up the new Ultrex. Just wondering if any of you had any issues now that they have been out for awhile
Mitch

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex

Post by Mitch »

They did have some issues at first, but it seem like most all of those have been corrected on the builds after Aug 2017. I bought mine in Nov, 17 and have had ZERO issues. This is truly a game changer !! Set up is super easy ! Once you use it for an hour, you'll never look back !! This has to be the BEST thing to come along in the last 20 years for Bass Fishing !! I was torn between Power Poles or Ultrex, I'm so glad I went with the Ultrex. Plus, PP's won't keep you on a spot in 60 feet of water, lol !! You WILL love it !
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
TheFLY

Post by TheFLY »

Buy one!

It is a monumental game changer. And no matter how much people tell you how awesome it is and how much it can improve your fishing experience - it will never approach what you experience the first time you hit spot lock on a windy day to retie or fish an offshore spot.

Then once you get familiar with the "true north" and "constant" features you will be done. Spoiled! When I'm in a friend's boat and he doesn't have it feels crazy awkward now to have to keep my foot up on a pedal. What is this the stone age?!?!

There have been a couple of issues - but I still would not wait to buy one:

1) Originally, many of the motherboards went out in them. I was lucky, mine was not one of them. But quite a few folks had to mail the motherboard back in for repair. I suspect this matter has already been rectified.

2) Many guys complain that the pedal is too squishy and easy to turn. (And it can't be stiffened like my old MoforGuide.) Some have said they are having a hard time adjusting to that. It was no issue for me. Took maybe 2 or 3 trips out to adjust.

3) The knob you use to adjust the height of the motor in the water doesn't hold it as well as you'd want. After a half day of fishing with the up and down of changing locations it slips down. To stop this, I tightened the knob so much that I stripped it (clearly superior grip strength :lol: ). The rubber knob is just not strong enough. They definitely have to tweak that. I now just carry an extra. They are only a few bucks.

4) It does take a tiny bit of getting used to the power steering. If you are cruising down a bank and just want to tap your pedal to correct course and only want to move your pedal half an inch it is bizarre at first when that steering assist kicks in and you hear a motor whirring to help you with that half inch movement. I remember thinking, that feels like overkill and a waste of battery. But I was used to it within a trip or 2 and have noticed zero extra drain on my batteries.

5) One enhancement a future generation needs is a manual override switch. Right now it is such that the motherboard and the power steering are your only option. So if you are on the water and it does go out your day is over. It would be outstanding if they built in a manual override switch to allow you to continue fishing without all of the added circuitry. I have to believe this is coming soon.

I had originally intended to keep my old Motorguide as a backup. But after a week of the Ultrex I laughed at my naivety. There is no way I'm ever going back. If this thing breaks I'm buying a new one the next day.

I also guarantee Motorguide will have a version of this out as soon as possible because if not, they will be out of business. It is that much better.
toddmc

Post by toddmc »

TheFLY wrote:Buy one!

It is a monumental game changer. And no matter how much people tell you how awesome it is and how much it can improve your fishing experience - it will never approach what you experience the first time you hit spot lock on a windy day to retie or fish an offshore spot.

Then once you get familiar with the "true north" and "constant" features you will be done. Spoiled! When I'm in a friend's boat and he doesn't have it feels crazy awkward now to have to keep my foot up on a pedal. What is this the stone age?!?!

There have been a couple of issues - but I still would not wait to buy one:

1) Originally, many of the motherboards went out in them. I was lucky, mine was not one of them. But quite a few folks had to mail the motherboard back in for repair. I suspect this matter has already been rectified.

2) Many guys complain that the pedal is too squishy and easy to turn. (And it can't be stiffened like my old MoforGuide.) Some have said they are having a hard time adjusting to that. It was no issue for me. Took maybe 2 or 3 trips out to adjust.

3) The knob you use to adjust the height of the motor in the water doesn't hold it as well as you'd want. After a half day of fishing with the up and down of changing locations it slips down. To stop this, I tightened the knob so much that I stripped it (clearly superior grip strength :lol: ). The rubber knob is just not strong enough. They definitely have to tweak that. I now just carry an extra. They are only a few bucks.

4) It does take a tiny bit of getting used to the power steering. If you are cruising down a bank and just want to tap your pedal to correct course and only want to move your pedal half an inch it is bizarre at first when that steering assist kicks in and you hear a motor whirring to help you with that half inch movement. I remember thinking, that feels like overkill and a waste of battery. But I was used to it within a trip or 2 and have noticed zero extra drain on my batteries.

5) One enhancement a future generation needs is a manual override switch. Right now it is such that the motherboard and the power steering are your only option. So if you are on the water and it does go out your day is over. It would be outstanding if they built in a manual override switch to allow you to continue fishing without all of the added circuitry. I have to believe this is coming soon.

I had originally intended to keep my old Motorguide as a backup. But after a week of the Ultrex I laughed at my naivety. There is no way I'm ever going back. If this thing breaks I'm buying a new one the next day.

I also guarantee Motorguide will have a version of this out as soon as possible because if not, they will be out of business. It is that much better.
Thanks for taking the time to do this. It's only taken about 20 threads, 3 direct conversations with owners, and way too much time for me to have learned the same things :lol: .
I have also heard that guys are breaking cables because they aren't used to the pedals. Is this true? I haven't used one yet to see how the parts work. I would also think that there is some kind of gearing that electronically adjusts your position that would be likely to wear out quickly in rough conditions.
Levy

Post by Levy »

I have had mine for about 6 months. As the others have stated it is a game changer and I could never see going back.

Now with that being said my boat has been in the shop for 2 weeks now as the steering cable broke and now the motherboard went out. They are working with Minn Kota to fix now but I will be pissed if I dont get it back by this weekend.

I was able to fish using my hand remote for 1 of my outing's waiting for the replacement cable but mid outing the 2nd time the motherboard went out and i had to stop fishing or manually turn the head.
Ufish

Post by Ufish »

If its good enough for KVD its good enough for me he just switched to minn kota & ultrex
TheFLY

Post by TheFLY »

Ufish wrote:If its good enough for KVD its good enough for me he just switched to minn kota & ultrex
Oof ... careful with that logic. Such reasoning would have everyone fishing out of Nitros and using Quantums too! :shock:
Ufish

Post by Ufish »

TheFLY wrote:
Ufish wrote:If its good enough for KVD its good enough for me he just switched to minn kota & ultrex
Oof ... careful with that logic. Such reasoning would have everyone fishing out of Nitros and using Quantums too! :shock:
Didnt jordan lee just win the bassmaster with quantums like i said good enough for the goat good enough for me :P
basshol

Post by basshol »

I'm with THE FLY. I was fishing next to him on Berryessa I was floating all over the place and he was drinking coffee and not moving. I bought one after that.definitely a game changer
TRIXGOTAFISH

Post by TRIXGOTAFISH »

This is going to be the first mod on the next boat especially since i don't have the space for poles/talons on the back due to garage parking space limitations!

I've got a question for anyone that's had it in shallow water but how shallow can you be to use the spot lock feature and not spook fish say for when sight fishing or to thoroughly fish an area where you would pole/talon down normally??
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

TRIXGOTAFISH wrote:This is going to be the first mod on the next boat especially since i don't have the space for poles/talons on the back due to garage parking space limitations!

I've got a question for anyone that's had it in shallow water but how shallow can you be to use the spot lock feature and not spook fish say for when sight fishing or to thoroughly fish an area where you would pole/talon down normally??
Depth will be determined by the depth of the TM. The problem with sight fishing is that when on Spot Lock, the TM will turn into the wind or current depending on which is stronger, to stay on that spot. This could move the rear around and could put you backwards of what you want to be. On a calm day, you can adjust for this by boat position somewhat. This is where Poles or Tallons have the advantage. The ideal set up is to have both, but that could be $7500.00 !!
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
TheFLY

Post by TheFLY »

TRIXGOTAFISH wrote:This is going to be the first mod on the next boat especially since i don't have the space for poles/talons on the back due to garage parking space limitations!

As Mitch noted, it is not going to be an effective tool for sight fishing in the shallow water. It may work in some cases assuming you are back pretty far from the fish and the wind is in your face such that the boat is holding with the point towards the bed.

But all in all, when spot lock is employed it's not gentle. That sucker kicks in and whirrs and spins - sometimes vigorously. The more wind/current, the harder it works. There is nothing stealthy about it.

My confidence is greatly diminished if I'm dropping down on fish I see on the graph unless I'm in at least 20 feet of water. Less than that and I suspect the fish can hear me pretty easily. Now, I have dropped on fish as shallow as 11 feet and caught them. But that is not the "rule" by any means.

You will also want to be careful about dropping your line right near the trolling motor on fish you see on the graph. We all want to do that so we can easily see our bait dropping down, but if you are not careful, that motor can turn toward your line and eat it. So far I've not had that happen to me, but I saw it happen to Luke Clausen in the first BASS Elite event.

One more tip on the spot lock feature. Once spot locked, your fotpedal is just as sensitive as your brake pad would be in a car that is set for cruise control. Any resistance that it feels at all will kick you out of spot lock. When I first got my motor, it kicked off of spot lock a few times and I just assumed I had a flaw in my unit. No ... it was the velcro strap that had slid under my foot pedal. When spot lock when to turn my boat, it could "feel" the resistance of that strap and kicked it off of spot lock. So now I just remember to strap the velcro back on itself so that it's not long enough to get under my foot pedal.
Jeff C.

Post by Jeff C. »

Glad to see the bass guys finally realizing the amazing capabilities of the GPS enabled trolling motors. I started with the Terrova and now have an Ulterra and will get the Ultrex when I eventually upgrade. The spot lock feature is like having a power pole that can be used regardless of the depth and the autopilot is amazing as well. I'm surprised the Ultrex doesn't seem to have the I-pilot link option, which allows you to follow the contours of some gps maps if you have a Humminbird fish finder but maybe it will be added in the future.
Kerry L

Post by Kerry L »

I have to agree with the others.... 30 mph winds plus strong current hit spot lock and boat never budged. Was totally impressed and would struggle to use any other TM.
Ifishalot

Post by Ifishalot »

Jeff C. wrote:Glad to see the bass guys finally realizing the amazing capabilities of the GPS enabled trolling motors. I started with the Terrova and now have an Ulterra and will get the Ultrex when I eventually upgrade. The spot lock feature is like having a power pole that can be used regardless of the depth and the autopilot is amazing as well. I'm surprised the Ultrex doesn't seem to have the I-pilot link option, which allows you to follow the contours of some gps maps if you have a Humminbird fish finder but maybe it will be added in the future.
They do make this option. They make a regular one. One with just I-pilot and one with I-pilot link.!
Jeff C.

Post by Jeff C. »

Ifishalot wrote:
Jeff C. wrote:Glad to see the bass guys finally realizing the amazing capabilities of the GPS enabled trolling motors. I started with the Terrova and now have an Ulterra and will get the Ultrex when I eventually upgrade. The spot lock feature is like having a power pole that can be used regardless of the depth and the autopilot is amazing as well. I'm surprised the Ultrex doesn't seem to have the I-pilot link option, which allows you to follow the contours of some gps maps if you have a Humminbird fish finder but maybe it will be added in the future.
They do make this option. They make a regular one. One with just I-pilot and one with I-pilot link.!
Sweet! For some reason I don't see the Link option on the Minn Kota web page but there it is in the BPS catalog.
BSmith

Post by BSmith »

If you run Birds, then getting the Link can be beneficial if you are setting it up to track a specific contour line. There are some other functions that are nice about it. I put a Helix 12 with down imaging up front and moved the lowrance back to the console. If you don't run birds then getting the link is a waste of money unless upgrading. Be glad to show you mine and my set up if you are interested. It is a game changer though with the spot lock. No issues since installing on the boat.
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

I have an Ultrex with I-pilot link on my new boat as well. First, I am sponsored by Minn Kota, however, it truly is a game changer. Spotlock is only the beginning.

The cruise control and auto-pilot are also game changers. Cruise control is just like a car, set the speed and the motor just stays at that speed regardless of the direction you put on the trolling motor. Auto-pilot is even better. If you set that, it stays on the heading that you set along with the speed of the prop you have dialed in. Got that long shore you want to run on 1 or 2 for that reaction bait...set the auto-pilot and then fish. Need to get 10 feet further away...reset the direction and turn on auto-pilot.

Imagine crossing that cove on 10 without having to stay at the trolling motor...can do that. Or heading to the next waypoint on your Humminbird graph...while tieing...can do that too.

If anyone has any questions on how to use these features, drop me a note.
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
Popper

Post by Popper »

-Buy it

No issues in over (1) year of using the Ultrex.
It took me less than 2 minutes to adjust to the foot petal in the wind.

All features built into the product work fantastic.

A Bass boat equip with an Ultrex and shallow water anchoring system will experience the ultimate rig in all conditions.

Ed
CATCHEMCARO

Post by CATCHEMCARO »

I love my Ultrex! First time I used it was while fishing the WWBT on the Delta. Like they say, "Once you use it, you'll never look back" It held my boat in the strongest of currents and I almost felt like I was breaking some rules. Total control and time to do what needs to be done without touching the foot pedal. Also, if your speed setting is on high and your stering to the hard right and hit the power, the unit slowly and very smoothly goes from nothing to the speed setting you have it on. My old trolling motor would kick into high gear and jerk you around.
If you can complement it with two power poles then you are set for boat positioning and control in shallow or deep. Brent at Marine Unlimited installed my poles and Ultrex and I couldn't be happier. I just wish I had more time to fish.

Rich
WWW.SCBBBC.COM
http://catchemcarobaits.com/index.html
Ifishalot

Post by Ifishalot »

CATCHEMCARO wrote:I love my Ultrex! First time I used it was while fishing the WWBT on the Delta. Like they say, "Once you use it, you'll never look back" It held my boat in the strongest of currents and I almost felt like I was breaking some rules. Total control and time to do what needs to be done without touching the foot pedal. Also, if your speed setting is on high and your stering to the hard right and hit the power, the unit slowly and very smoothly goes from nothing to the speed setting you have it on. My old trolling motor would kick into high gear and jerk you around.
If you can complement it with two power poles then you are set for boat positioning and control in shallow or deep. Brent at Marine Unlimited installed my poles and Ultrex and I couldn't be happier. I just wish I had more time to fish.

Rich
Because your to busy making awesome swimbaits Rich!
Joseph Vaughn

Minnesota Kota ultrex backirder

Post by Joseph Vaughn »

Paid for my Ultrex 2 months ago when I purchased my new Ranger Rt178. Apparently they are back ordered with no end in sight, and I get no response from Minn Kota when I email them, and the customer service phone number doesn’t work. My dealer has offered to replace it with a power pole or refund my money. I am thinking more along the lines of class action lawsuit. What is the deal with Minn Kota and the Ultrex?
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

Your dealer should get to the bottom of it. I find it hard to believe Minn Kota doesn't have a working phone number since they have some of the best customer service in the marine business.
I know there was a wait on the Ultrex a while back but not more then two months ago there were a couple board sponsors on another forum claiming to have them in stock. One of em even quoted me a price and I was under the impression that if I paid for it it would be sent out in a timely manner.
scottsweet

Re: Minnesota Kota ultrex backirder

Post by scottsweet »

Joseph Vaughn wrote:Paid for my Ultrex 2 months ago when I purchased my new Ranger Rt178. Apparently they are back ordered with no end in sight, and I get no response from Minn Kota when I email them, and the customer service phone number doesn’t work. My dealer has offered to replace it with a power pole or refund my money. I am thinking more along the lines of class action lawsuit. What is the deal with Minn Kota and the Ultrex?
Where did you buy your Ranger? I know C&C had a bunch of them. They can't make them fast enough, but they are out there.
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com