Buying bass boat out of Ca. to bring into Ca.?

bobsquatch13

Buying bass boat out of Ca. to bring into Ca.?

Post by bobsquatch13 »

Similar to another question asked - buying out of state and bringing into Ca. to register, any anticipated problems? I know not all states have pink slips for the trailer and the boat, assume this could be a problem of some kind in getting registered in CA.? I don't think the motor is a problem but trailer and boat could be?
ragtopped

Re: Buying bass boat out of Ca. to bring into Ca.?

Post by ragtopped »

No problem. I bought mine from Washington it was no problem registering it here. But I had the title for both.
Dabbs

Post by Dabbs »

I've done it a few times. It's different if the boat is new or used. Shoot me a text if you want (706)391-4046
fishindds

Post by fishindds »

I bought one Ranger from Wisconsin and another from Texas over the past 8 years. A family friend was on a forced layoff and towed the rig from Wisconsin to Cali. Then I treated him to fishing on Clear Lake.
The boat from Texas was towed here by a USHIP contractor at a very reasonable price. I had both boats checked out by a reputable boat shop of my choosing and I have no regrets. Some great deals out there even with added cost of shipping!!
Doc
fishindds

Re: Buying bass boat out of Ca. to bring into Ca.? PS

Post by fishindds »

There were paperwork quirks as described but not difficult to overcome in both purchases I made

DOC
Frog Warrior

Post by Frog Warrior »

Bought a nice used boat from Florida in 2016 and had it hauled here. Be prepared to pay California sales tax on it at the DMV. Aside from that, it's not difficult once you find the ONE person at the DMV who knows how to do the paperwork. Took me 3 trips to find that one person, but once I did it wasn't painful for me other than in my wallet. I did have to take the boat to the DMV so they can look at the motor and see the emission sticker on it (the one with 1, 2, or 3 stars on it). They wouldn't accept a photo of the motor showing the sticker.
When life gives you lemons, go fishing.
Bassin247

Post by Bassin247 »

Frog Warrior wrote:Bought a nice used boat from Florida in 2016 and had it hauled here. Be prepared to pay California sales tax on it at the DMV. Aside from that, it's not difficult once you find the ONE person at the DMV who knows how to do the paperwork. Took me 3 trips to find that one person, but once I did it wasn't painful for me other than in my wallet. I did have to take the boat to the DMV so they can look at the motor and see the emission sticker on it (the one with 1, 2, or 3 stars on it). They wouldn't accept a photo of the motor showing the sticker.
How much did it cost to ship the boat from FL to Cali?
Frog Warrior

Post by Frog Warrior »

I went through U-Ship. Winning bid was $1,200. Plus I paid $200 to have a protective shrinkwrap put on since the seller didn't have a cover for it.
When life gives you lemons, go fishing.
Bassin247

Post by Bassin247 »

Frog Warrior wrote:I went through U-Ship. Winning bid was $1,200. Plus I paid $200 to have a protective shrinkwrap put on since the seller didn't have a cover for it.
Wow that's a pretty good price for cross country shipping. Would have thought it would be close to 2k or more.

Good to know. Thanks!
Andy Lippert

Post by Andy Lippert »

I bought my boat in Alabama, and because they don't require you to register boats there, it was a pain in the rear. 3 trips to DMV, different answers, sending me on different wild goose chases. Finally had a friend who works with the DMV handle it all, and she had to spend some time with it. They have a book at the DMV that highlights "everything you need" for out of state transfers, and I recommend going in and talking with them real quickly to make sure you have everything that will be required for the state you bought it from--and like someone said above, make sure it is a manager or someone senior that has done a lot of boat transfers, or else you'll likely be told that you need all sorts of stuff that you don't. Could save you a lot of time.