Thoughts on Bonafide kayaks?

benarsenault

Thoughts on Bonafide kayaks?

Post by benarsenault »

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a Kayak for Casitas and am pretty interested in Bonafide due to features and pricing. I know these just came out, but has anyone tried yet? There are a few dealers in the bay area but none in my neck of the woods, so I won't be able to try before I buy. If anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,
Ben
MKA

Re: Thoughts on Bonafide kayaks?

Post by MKA »

Ben,
I have not personally fished out of the Bonafide Kayak but I have done quite a bit of research. I would not hesitate to invest in one if you are considering a paddle kayak. They have thought of everything. I believe it is a great value at that price point.
Thanks,
Steve
EricAllee

Post by EricAllee »

Ben,

Are you a member of any kayak clubs in your area? Usually clubs have meet ups where those who're interested in certain brands can take fellow members kayaks for a quick spin to get a feel for a kayak before purchasing. I agree with Steve doing a little research and knowing how much thought and effort Luther and crew put into their products I'm sure it's a hell of a kayak. That being said kayak fishing is different for everyone and one persons dream fishing kayak is another persons meh fishing kayak not based on anything other than personal preferences.

I'd reach out to local kayak fishing clubs first to hopefully demo a members kayak. If that isn't a possibility I'd call Bonafide and see if they have any regional or local pro-staff members that can take you out for a demo. In Colorado if someone wants to Demo a kayak I meet them on the water for a bit to let them test out a few yaks.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do and how everything turns out! Good luck.

Eric
benarsenault

Post by benarsenault »

Thanks Steve and Eric - glad to hear the general consensus on Bonafide is positive. I'm not aware of any 'yak clubs in my area, but will have to investigate further. I've actually never even seen anyone fishing from a kayak at Casitas besides the bright yellow rentals, and they stick to the Santa Ana arm. Despite all the disadvantages of fishing that body of water in a kayak I wonder if there will be a stealth advantage. The bass see a lot of 20' bass boats, but very few 12' kayaks. I just hope I don't get run over by a bass boat. I'll have to put a bright orange flag up or something.
EricAllee

Post by EricAllee »

Without a we have an edge to big boats in regards to stealth. There are times I'll pull up my drive and glide into a spot and the fish in the area don't seem to even notice I'm there until I stand up.

Railblaza and YakAttack both have good visibility kits with flags and LED 360 lights. I'd also get the loudest air horn you can... I mainly fish smaller bodies of water, but when I fish tournaments on bigger bodies of water I make sure I can been seen from a ways out. If I see a big boat on a line directly towards me I'll hit the air horn a couple times until I'm sure they're aware of me.

You're gonna have a blast fishing out of your new yak!
benarsenault

Post by benarsenault »

Any thoughts on color of your kayak for visibility vs. stealth reasons? I was thinking of getting a natural color to be less visible to the fish, but am wondering if I should get the bright orange one for safety.
MKA

Post by MKA »

Ben,

I am a big fan of safety. I do have a camo kayak but I wear a bright orange life vest. I am also going to install a bright orange flag on my kayak. It's also a good idea to have a 360 light on the stern that you can turn on during low light conditions.

Thanks,
Steve
benarsenault

Post by benarsenault »

Thanks, Steve. I will definitely think about an orange vs. natural color kayak for safety reasons. Regardless of which color I choose I'll heed your advice and add a bright orange flag, a light on the stern, and will also consider a high visibility PFD. I've heard too many stories of kayakers and canoers jumping into the water to avoid an oncoming speed boat - scary stuff!