Fishing Oroville Lake 03/29/2018

Tom Gronwall

Fishing Oroville Lake 03/29/2018

Post by Tom Gronwall »

Got launched at Lime Saddle about 6:45 am, wood, lots of wood stacked up on the ramp as it always gets when water levels come up. Damn, hate that stuff, worst part is getting off the water!! and not taking home a cord with the boat. Slow, slow bite, good part, water is beginning to warm. Found 53.6 to 54.8 degrees in my travels. about 4-4.5 degree rise since my last trip. Picked up 4 spots, best right at 15", and a surprise coho, small one. Never caught one before, teeth surprised me. Didn't know how to hold them, for sure not like a bass. Water dingy from all the rains. Most fish caught at 30-35 feet or so. Guessing about the mid to end of April, bite will be wide open, it's coming, so be patient.
GOPR0319.JPG
Attachments
GOPR0320.JPG
Kennortonjr

Re: Fishing Oroville Lake 03/29/2018

Post by Kennortonjr »

Tom, I have read your posts regularly over the past few years and appreciate all of the information you have provided....Saving up years for a bass boat, and waiting for delivery - there were times when I lived vicariously through your posts....I was planning on taking out my brand new fiberglass boat out for the first time on Saturday at Lime Saddle. Do you have any more tips on the driftwood? I imagine it will complicate things a bit (I have only helped launched a boat one other time). Last month you posted a picture of Lime Saddle during February 2017 when the lake was totally full and there was a ton of driftwood - would it be impossible to launch with that amount? Thanks!
Tom Gronwall

Post by Tom Gronwall »

Launching tends not to be the issue, find a slot where less large wood, and launch, it will push the wood back and you'll be fine, just go slow and no prop issues. If the winds don't change directions, the wood stays on the ramp, then sometimes blows out to mid bay area, and clean ramp to haul the boat out. Sometimes I motor to shore at the ramp, attempting to move wood, then back out and ties up. I've always gotten off the ramp fine, but take wood with me. A couple times pulled out, too much wood, so launched again, then trailer again, couple times to move the wood. You will be fine, looks worse then it really is. :>)Don't panic!!
Kennortonjr

Post by Kennortonjr »

Sounds good, I feel better now. Thanks, you're the man!
NorCal90

Post by NorCal90 »

Great job on the posts Tom, hopefully someday I will get to fish again and be able to help out as well with the posts....
Jason Bubier
530-230-8868
ajbubier@sbcglobal.net