Line spooling ???

bassz21

Line spooling ???

Post by bassz21 »

Looking for ideas on how to measure off 50 to 60 yards of line when I'm spooling my reels tired of wasting flouro I have tried the cheap line counters by Shakespear and Berkley
maybe I'll get a real line machine someday but those are very pricy. I know I could count the turns of the handle by how much it retrieves in one turn but don't really want to do that
mark poulson

Re: Line spooling ???

Post by mark poulson »

You can measure something at home, like the sidewalk in front of where you live, and then use that to strip off whatever amount of line you want to. You can even measure the distance from front to back on a boat, or front to back of a car/truck, and then use that to help you determine how much line you have taken off.
I use basically the same size reels for everything, so I can just eyeball how much line I need to take off before I respool.
Just keep in mind, it is better to replace a little more than you think you'll need. There is nothing more annoying, and stressing, that having your splice knot go through your rod guides on a cast.
I remove and replace approx. 1 1/2 casts of line, so I'll have plenty of line for retying without worrying about hitting the knot.
Just remember to readjust your braking and spool tension as you get down into your spool a little.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

Don't buy your line in 200 yard spools. Buy your line in 600 to 1000 yard spools then you are only taking a hit on the very last time you use the spool. You can also use 20-30 yards of backing on your reels, then you save that much line every time you replace line on that reel.
Delaney

Post by Delaney »

This is what I do. Most reels retrieve 24" to 30" or 2.0 to 2.5 feet per handle crank, and I try to put 150 ft. or 50 yds. per fill. Just count the spool revolutions to 60 or 75. 150 ft. is considerably more than you'll cast, and when you lose line down to the knot, it's time for more line.
There She Is!!!
Delaney

Post by Delaney »

Oops, I meant to say reel handle revolutions, not spool revs.
There She Is!!!
rico

Post by rico »

Switch to a braid/flouro combo. Yes, the braid can be expensive depending on brand but you're not going to be losing it. Your spool of fluorocarbon will last you a lot longer
SpookFreak

Post by SpookFreak »

How about a football field?