Lake Oroville Largemouth?

RJB

Lake Oroville Largemouth?

Post by RJB »

Hi Everyone,

Next week During the week I’m heading to Oroville for the first time. I would like to spend a day or two just focusing on catching largemouth. I was curious if anybody on this forum would be willing to share some insight with me, or point me in the right direction for largemouth. If you don’t want to share on the board please pm me. Thank you so much.
Larry Hemphill

Re: Lake Oroville Largemouth?

Post by Larry Hemphill »

I don't fish Oroville as much as I used to, but some of the "rules" of the lake haven't changed much. The one largemouth over 10 lbs that I have caught at Oroville hit a jig near the dam. That was about 20 years ago - in the fall (November). Most largemouth are known to hang in the north fork and west branch. A former client emailed me a photo of a beautiful 8 lb largemouth he caught a month or so ago - somewhere up in that area. There are still some largemouth caught in the south fork, but not like the 'ol days. Look for whatever brush or cover you can find. As the lake drops, those areas are in short supply. The future of the Oroville largemouth fishery will depend on the amount of cover present - artificial or natural. Like Berryessa last year with a full lake and lots of cover, the largemouth population has exploded this year. We are catching more largemouth this year from 10 to 13 inches at Berryessa than I have seen in years!! One of the problems with a lake like Oroville, the water is in great demand and they will start dropping the lake during the spawn in dry years. Berryessa is a fairly stable lake. Water levels drop slowly. This helps explain why spotted bass take over deep lakes like Oroville. They spawn much deeper and their young will hatch before the beds dry up. Depending on the weather patterns, largemouth do very well spawning in the wet years as the lakes will remain stable during the spawn. This is true for most lakes where water demand is high.
Water_Dog

Post by Water_Dog »

Gonna be tough to dredge up a largemouth in that lake. DWR drops so much water out the lake during spawning season prevents largemouth and smallmouth from having successful spawning seasons in that lake. The weights at tournaments out there the last few years are terrible. West branch around Lime Saddle marina and up the canyon are your best bet. Anywhere shallow and has willows in the water obviously. Guys get lucky and find one here and there, but its gonna be tough, good luck.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

I am by no means an Orroville pro, HubSpinna may be a person to talk to. For me though if I am looking for a largemouth bite its main lake and bidwell arm. I've never caught a largie in the arms, although i know some have. The key bait for me has been the TnT Baits Football head jig in the 3/4oz and at times a 1oz brown jig - green pumpkin with a splash of orange.

Good Luck on your quest for the lochness monster of hOrroville :lol:
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Larry Hemphill

Post by Larry Hemphill »

Ash - your last sentence was clever - loved it!
Joe daddy

Post by Joe daddy »

My 2cents. Pass few times my group has went out they have ran into a few largies. None with any size though. This Time of year I found early in the morning or late in the evening to be the best. But if your Looking for the golden unicorn a ‘Luncker Larry’. Big John might of caught it earlier this year. If you do come across a nice one it will probably be on the best cover you fished all day, just an ideal spot. So if that moment presents itself be ready. Then hey you never know. Also agree with north and west branch main body towards foreman and under Berry creek bridge.
Attachments
B8F508CF-7DF8-4E28-994D-A5658C3912FB.jpeg