How do you hold the rod on the retrieve?

FISHJC

How do you hold the rod on the retrieve?

Post by FISHJC »

When casting lures, how do you hold the rod on the retrieve? Up, or down? And, why? Thanks in advance :)
FISHJC

Re: How do you hold the rod on the retrieve?

Post by FISHJC »

Nearly 50 views and no one dares to reply.. ???

I'm not sure if there is a right way or a wrong way. I guess it depends on the lure.
Fishing a frog, I seem to hold the rod at around 2 o'clock.
Fishing a jerk bait, I seem to keep my rod down around 4 o'clock.

I'm hoping a variety of people will express their opinion.
I was told by a pro.. best to hold the rod down to gain more in setting the hook.
Whats your thoughts?
Skeeterman

Post by Skeeterman »

For me it all depends on what I'm throwing like top water i retrieve at 10 o'clock spinner bait depends on how deep of shallow I want to go same with cranks from 9 O'clock to were im sticking the rod in the water . When I'm dragging I have my rod down and pointed toward the back of the boar were i don't have to reel down to set the Hook.
Bsapp

Post by Bsapp »

Depends on the bait. Frog rod down low. Some topwaters rod up high so you can drop it to let them take it. If your throwing reaction baits like cranks I think better off to the side so the rod will absorb the strike and load. Soft plastics from 9-12. Setting the hook or letting the rod load. Think about the bait and the way the fish takes it. Do they need to eat it or do they get stuck from the trebles.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Reaction baits, low, 6-9 o'clock. Jigs and plastics, high, 10-11 o'clock. Never work a bait over 11 o'clock, or you'll be setting the hook behind you.
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I never really have a particular way to hold my rod. I just move it as I need to for whatever I'm fishing.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Mitch wrote:Reaction baits, low, 6-9 o'clock. Jigs and plastics, high, 10-11 o'clock. Never work a bait over 11 o'clock, or you'll be setting the hook behind you.
I think the reason why the responses were slow is because of the variables - but as Mitch pointed out typically you dont want to be out of hook set position and past 11oclock you are basically in bad position to set that hook and end up doing a "Bill Dance" hookset where its over the shoulder and ear. They only time I reach 11 is when working a jig or texas rig on the bottom and even then I drop back down pretty quickly. If I get a bite up there I have to reel down to pick up slack before hittin them.

Everyone has their own way and Im sure youll find whats comfortable for you.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
monte300

Post by monte300 »

as a dedicated cranker I hold the rod at the angle that allows me to fish over the top of the weeds on the Delta. I love the Speedtrap and often hold my rod tip high so I can still fish the bait instead of going to a more shallow running crankbait that I have less confidence in.
WRB

Post by WRB »

FISHJC wrote:When casting lures, how do you hold the rod on the retrieve? Up, or down? And, why? Thanks in advance :)
Your question is conflicting. How do you hold the rod when casting differs from retrieving lures.
Bait casting rods, when retreiving lures, I hold the rod by a foregrip/lock ring in front of the reel with my index finger under the line, thumb on top to feel the line, rod handle under my forearm. Crankbaits and any lure that was cast over 30 yards the rod tip is generally pointed downward at the lure. This position helps in detecting strikes and my reel and rod sweep hook sets.
Surface lures the rod tip is up about a 45 degree angle to help keep line off the water to work the lures. Jerk baits the rod tip is paralell to the water snapping downwards. I will use the rod tip to lift bottom bumping lures up and over structure or cover, otherwise it's pointing toward the lure.
Spinning rods I hold with 3 fingers in front of the reel and use the rod to impart action to bottom conact lures or weightless soft plastics, usually the rod tip is paralell to the water surface.
Tom