How are gas prices affecting your fishing ???

Fish Chris

How are gas prices affecting your fishing ???

Post by Fish Chris »

They are definately keeping me closer to home ! Now granted, I have a 4 cylinder truck (but its an old one that only gets about 19 mpg) and then my sweet new 25hp Yamaha, which does get great milage....

But still, for a poor guy like me, who fishes too much, and doesn't work enough, I'm certainly feeling it ! I just ended a 26 day vacation, during which time I spent $800 for just gas ! Everything else, daily fishing passes, launch, food, etc, only cost me about $600.

So anyway, here's my average gas cost for some of the places I fish (truck + boat total):

Suisun slough (Sturgeon and Stripers) $10 (launch is only 3 miles from my driveway)

Berryessa $20

Rancho Seco $30 (no gas motors... all for the truck)

Pardee $40

Clear Lk. $60

I know these prices probably sound really cheap to many of you with high-per bass boats, but then I probably make way less than half of the $, that most of you guys do also....

I guess the real question is, no matter how much money you make, or how much gas your trucks and boats use; Are you fishing closer to home, or {heaven forbid} less often, because of the high gas prices ?

Just curious,
Fish
Johnny C

Re: How are gas prices affecting your fishing ???

Post by Johnny C »

How can they not be ol' buddy...The other day the financial guy on the news said retail sales were down and they weren't sure if gas prices were affecting them...RIGHT..the pie is only so big man...Any way Chris I think it really hurts my prefishing..Covering less of the lake and at slower speeds..I really want to take my son to the rally at Clear Lake, but 250.00 in just truck gas is a lot when I can catch bass right here..I am still waiting to see if it goes down some before commiting..It did drop "some" this week, but still not enough by a long shot...
http://www.dobynsrods.com
Jeff C.

It could potentially have a big impact.

Post by Jeff C. »

Right now I use my truck for commuting as well as pulling my boat. Because my truck is getting kind of old and I don't want to push it I mostly fish places close to me. Since I live in Placerville, I concentrate mostly on Folsom. I've been thinking of getting a new truck partly because I want to feel confident towing to farther away places like Clear Lake and Oroville.

With these high gas prices though, I'm thinking that instead of a new truck I should get some kind of "gulp" hybrid car, and make my truck last another 3-5 years. This would mean I would have to keep fishing close to home. So yeah, I would say that the gas prices could potentially affect my fishing a lot.

I have no doubt gas is going to hit $4 before end of Summer.
RougeBass

Post by RougeBass »

I know for me and my partner we have cut out alot of pre-fish time and try not to run far. We are setting good this year in our circut and I fish on the Am side of pro/ams. But next year if the prices stay up someting will have to go and it will be the pro/ams. And I have talked to other ams who have said the same thing. Trying to find a pro to sign up with is hard enough but trying to find someone from your area to share ride and room is even harder. I'm not speaking for everyone but I know i am speaking for the selected few. I love fishing as an Am I have gained alot of confindance in my ability. But if things remain the same I'll have to look at other alteritives.
Steve

Re: It could potentially have a big impact.

Post by Steve »

Im not fishing, thats how it has affected me.

My truck has some problems right now that I cant fix, and the problems have caused my truck to really suck down gas. So it really is a bad idea for me to go fishing. Its just something I have to accept. As Im typing this Im working on a plan to get my truck fixed, not only so I can go fishing but also so I can take care of other things in my life.

Its times like this where the additional costs really hurt. The extra money it costs to launch and to buy a "fishing pass" is what puts the idea of fishing such places into the "cant do it" category. And its times like this when I revisit the whole concept of how DFG pushes the responsibility of providing access to "our public resources" onto private concessionares. And such private entities are free to charge what they want so that we can enjoy OUR RESOURCES. The money we spend on fishing liscenses and the tax we contribute to the Sportfish Restoration Fund (used to be called the Dingell-Johnson tax; every time you buy a fishing product you contribute to this tax, every time you fill up at the gas station you contribute to this tax) are supposed to pay for the cost of providing access to our lakes and rivers (i.e., free public launching). Every other state Im aware of provides excellent public launch ramps, free of charge. And it doesnt make sense to me because California has a huge population of fisherman so you would think this state is generating tons of money via liscense, fishing product, and gas sales (the entire population of California contributes to this tax since everybody buys gas). So how come the state claims they have no money for such things as providing public launches and the only solution is to turn such access over to private entities? Or make the surrounding land a State Park, thus pushing responsibility onto that agency and allowing the State Park system to charge fees to access the State Park? I dont get it.

And has anything tangible ever come out of the Delta Stamp (or whatever that thing is called)? The stamp is another source of tax money the state could use to provide some level of free access to those waterways that you must have that stamp to fish. I could list a zillion things that source of money is going towards, and none of them has anything to do with fishing.

Ok, Im done. There is an excellent moon phase next weekend. Its one of those "absolutely must night fish" phases. I need to figure out how Im gonna afford to get myself on the water during those 3 days!
Fish Chris

Thanks guys....

Post by Fish Chris »

I guess its a little consolation that I'm not the only one who's feeling it !

Oh well. I'd rather be on the water with an empty wallet, than at work with a fat one.

Peace,
Fish
Andy Giannini

Post by Andy Giannini »

I don't want to drive around to club events and catch little fish at some lake anymore. The gas costs more than the trophy.

The price of fuel has definately affected fishing for me.

I suspect this year, many clubs will face a lack of participation, due to costs, and be in desperate need of non boaters to help defray expenses. Look for heated discussions, at meetings, or lack of turnout for many events, not just club ones.

This sport was never cheap, but it is getting pretty expensive.

.02 A.G.
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
rmcollins3

Post by rmcollins3 »

Same here. I used to drive the two hours to Nacimiento from Monterey, but now I either go to Coyote - at half the distance - or just go to the base lake and fish from shore (I usually catch more there anyway!)
crawdaddy

Not at all

Post by crawdaddy »

When it comes time to go I go. I fish the exact same way as I have in the past. This is how I relax, unwind etc...I will not compromise on this. I have worked hard in school and my profession to get to this point in life only to say "no fishing" I think not. I can think of a dozen ways to cut costs in my daily life that would more than make up the difference in fishing costs due to gas. Home brewed coffee instead of Starbucks, pack a lunch, take the train, carpool etc...If I need a few extra bucks to pursue my passion I will find it in the above areas. I will give up cable and internet service before I give up my fishing.

I am always amazed at how easily some people will compromise doing what they enjoy by keeping the status quo in areas that are less fulfilling. Life is short, enjoy it to the fullest. :D
I would rather jog home from my own Vasectomy than spend Saturday at the mall.
catn2004

Re: Not at all

Post by catn2004 »

Gas prices has affected my fishing. I stay close to home, only approx. 1/2 from the Delta. And, when on the water I keep my speed down and if by myself I stay close to the launch ramp. That means roundtrip approx. 5 miles
Fish Chris

Well now crawdaddy.....

Post by Fish Chris »

your response is interesting. You see, I myself have also sacrified HUGELY in many other aspects of my life, so that I may fish a bunch ! Like deciding way, way back, to not ever try to raise a family. Never taking a serious, hardcore career, that eats up 40 plus hours a week. Not fishing from a big, flashy high-per bass boat. Not driving a big V8 truck. Not ever buying a $500 K house.

So you see, what I am saying is, I have already made huge sacrifices in most other areas of my life, so that I may fish 1400 hours a year. And while I don't see myself fishing less in the near future, I do see myself fishing closer to home, more of the time. So far though, this doesn't seem to be hurting me with trophy bass :-)

So now, my questions for you are, do you have a family ? Do you own a house ? Do you have a serious career type job ? Do you have a nice (big) boat and truck ? If you answered yes to these, then you haven't sacrificed as much as I have...... but if you answered yes "AND" you still fish as much, or more than I do, then all I can do is tip my hat to you, because you really do have it all figured out !

Just curious,
Peace,
Fish

PS, BTW, I have two millionaire buddies. One of them used to be a hard core fisherman in his 'former life', but now he's just a money making machine, who is too addicted to making $, to do much of anything else, and he always tells me "how lucky I am to fish like I do".... Huh ?

The other really enjoys life, and does actually fish 3/4's as much as I do...... and if he would hurry up and retire early, he might just be able to catch up to my hours on the water before its all over :-)
crawdaddy

Re: Well now crawdaddy.....

Post by crawdaddy »

Chris,
I answered yes to everything you said. But as I stated in my original post and a direct answer to your original question I have not changed how much or how I fish one bit. I am no millionaire but I am a working professional. I upgraded to a fast boat so I could cover more water and fish more areas, to now not do those things would defeat the purpose of my purchase. My post was mostly to offer a different perspective. In my life there are many things I could do to have more money in my pocket at the end of the day, I'm sure there are many people out there that could say the same thing. However, are you willing to give up things that you enjoy due to the price of gas? I am not. If gas was $4 or $5 per gallon I would say the same thing. When I get a day off and it sets up right for going fishing I don't think about the price of gas I just go. When I launch the boat I am not thinking about the price of gas, but I am thinking about the fish. I go where I think the best opportunities are regardless of the run time. But that is just me. I would not sacrafice my family life for fishing, but my family loves me and would not ask me to give up fishing anyway. Gas is gas. It will be gone one day. Will alternatives be available? Probably. Life is an ever changing thing, but I will always go fishing.
I would rather jog home from my own Vasectomy than spend Saturday at the mall.
Fish Chris

Thank you Crawdaddy....

Post by Fish Chris »

I'm glad you took my post in a positive way. And it's even okay with me that your another one of those "normal" guys :-)

I wouldn't trade anything for what I have either. In fact, if I could do it all over again, the only thing I would change is, I would have never spent "any time at all" (in my earlier life) trying to do what the rest of the world thinks is right...... I'd have just been a fishin' maniac right from the start ! But live and learn, right ? :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
But anyway, just to reiterate on the gas prices;
I already live about as cheaply as humanly possible (In Nor Cal in 2006 anyway). Most of my tackle comes from sponsors, and I have to eat, whether or not I'm on the water. Not much left that I can change, besides fishing closer to home, and not running around in the boat more than I have to.

But I agree with you crawdaddy, that "fishing less is not an option" :-)

Peace,
Fish
ash
SpeedBump

Re: Thank you Crawdaddy....

Post by ash »

I live 20 minutes from Folsom and there were a few times last week where I really just wanted to launch and fish till 9:00pm but for me 3-4 hours on the water just wasnt going to be worth the $35.00 to get out on the lake. 15.00 gate fee 20.00 - 30.00 in gas. OUCH!

I drive my truck less and less. But as most stated fishing is who I am, its where I am at my best and fulfills me. I do not see giving that up, however I have cut way back on my bait monkey, only want to go out with a partner etc...

Makes me take pause on spending throughout the week and save the extra $$$ to put into the boat and truck.

Jonathan
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
g-man

THE BOTTOM LINE

Post by g-man »

you can't put a price on what you love to do, but it can make you go broke. i'd rather die fishing than sitting at home wishing i was.
basshunter4u

Re: THE BOTTOM LINE

Post by basshunter4u »

The gas crunch hasnt effected me YET. I just ordered a 07 Ranger 520dvs 225HP. I think it might be a little more to fill up than my little 14 foot Sears. Which by the way is now for sale. 100 CC 4 stroke Honda 56lb thrust 24v motorguide on the gator mount with livewell pump and airator, Eagle Ultra Classic fish finder registered trailored for 2,000. Any one interested contact me basshunter4u@aol.com
never give up, be possitive and patient, and you will be rewarded
rmcollins3

Re: THE BOTTOM LINE

Post by rmcollins3 »

I guess one positive that has come out of the gas crunch is that it makes a lot of people fish with other people more instead of fishing alone. Perhaps a few people have met each other since they fished together when they otherwise wouldn't have.

I know for me, it's made me fish closer to home more and even walk the bank a little more (real close to home). I think I may have caugh more quality fish from walking the bank close to home than I have all season fishing tournaments - not quite sure how to take that one actually...LOL.
Fish Chris

Well hey rmcollins.....

Post by Fish Chris »

now that you mention it, I can think of a couple other positive things (for those of us that can still manage to afford it)...... less fishing pressure in general.
And less traffic on the weekends. Although the weekday traffic (my fishing days) is still pretty much the same, as people still have to go to work, regardless of the price of gas....

Peace,
Fish

PS, Higher gas prices wouldn't make me try to find people to fish with though. If there is anybody with me, I'm not really fishing, but rather, I'm socializing. I prefer to do that by phone, by internet, or in person, but not while I'm fishing. No distractions please. 100% focus, and attention to what I'm doing..... trying to stick a pig ! :-)
Fishin' Dave

at the end of the day

Post by Fishin' Dave »

A roof that doesn't leak, heat, water, food, and the baby on the way are a much better way to spend the $$

So, I don't fish much. If gas was 1/2 as much say $1.75 I'd be fishing much more! I think $1.75 is a fair market price.
g-man

Re: at the end of the day

Post by g-man »

a 1.75 a gallon. those were the good old days. its amazing how alot of people think we are in iraq for the oil. i know for sure we are not seeing any price breaks in gas. for humor only, we should just bomb the place, and let the dust clear. then stick a texaco flag in the middle of the country.