Fishing CA Delta June 14

AKBASSFISHING

Fishing CA Delta June 14

Post by AKBASSFISHING »

California Delta 6/13/2018
Water Temp 70 - 74
Visibility 2 – 4 feet
Wind 8 - 15 mph

Put in at around 6:30 in the morning. Another slight western breeze blew on the water and the tide had just started to move out.

My friend and I opted for surface lures since they had produced so well the previous week. We started to throw frogs and had some blow-ups, but the action was slow. My friend switched to a buzzbait and I switched to a chatterbait. Both got small fish, but the morning bite was definitely off.

Hoping to change our luck, we decided to fish windblown points with whopper ploppers and cranks, but this again yielded smaller than usual fish. Stumped, I switched to my Bullshooter hoping to find some bigger fish. On my third cast, I had a swirl and my rod loaded. I excitedly cranked the beast in, then I realized the fish was no more than two pounds. Talk about eyes bigger than your stomach.

By eleven, we had not boated anything over 2.5 pounds on surface lures, so we finally put the surface lures away. We broke out old reliable, the Senko paired with the Tsuyoi Weedless Wacky Hook, and proceeded to go to work. Fishing the outside weedline, we boated a good number of healthy fish ranging from 2 pounds to around 3.5 pounds.

By noon, my buddy called it a day and we returned to the ramp. I was supposed to pick up my other buddy, but he cancelled last second. So, I headed back out and fished for a couple more hours.

Fishing was tough, and the Senko bite we had found earlier died off. Almost calling it a day, I made one last stop on a weedline and cranked it. First cast, I hook a small dink, then cast again and hooked another, and another, and another. Four consecutive casts, I hooked four fish. They were all small, but getting bigger. For around 20 minutes straight, I hooked fish off this weedline with the better ones ranging from 3 to 4 pounds. I even hooked a good 6 pounder, but she came off right at the boat.

Satisfied, I called it a day.

Notes

Morning bite was oddly tough, but found the better bite in the afternoon on Senkos and Cranks.

Finding clean weeds with current is a must!
Attachments
imagejpeg_0.jpg
Screenshot_2018-06-14-06-37-20.jpg
20180613_090604_HDR.jpg
mark poulson

Re: Fishing CA Delta June 14

Post by mark poulson »

Good report!
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY